A/C malfunction - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

Notices
LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

A/C malfunction

Old 05-14-13, 03:42 PM
  #1  
byroncat
Rookie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 66
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unhappy A/C malfunction

My 2007 LS 460 has begun not starting the A/C when the engine is started.
Most times it will work by repeatedly pressing the Auto button and pressing the recycle button-but not always. After the engine is turned off I can hear what sound like a servo motor trying to close a door.
The dealer is not aware of the problem.
Does anyone have any thoughts on a cure?
Byroncat
byroncat is offline  
Old 05-14-13, 04:19 PM
  #2  
lei_z_ass
Driver
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: HI
Posts: 177
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

The door closing might be when the system is in mix air mode. Air from the cabin and outside air. Sounds like you have a bad mode selection switch. Seems like the ac compressor is working if you are getting cold air. Was any work done around the dashboard? Maybe you have a loose connection. If not that than maybe just a bad switch since you habe to keep pushing it to turn on the ac.
lei_z_ass is offline  
Old 05-15-13, 02:36 PM
  #3  
sleekmr3
Driver
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: ca
Posts: 112
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by byroncat View Post
My 2007 LS 460 has begun not starting the A/C when the engine is started.
Most times it will work by repeatedly pressing the Auto button and pressing the recycle button-but not always. After the engine is turned off I can hear what sound like a servo motor trying to close a door.
The dealer is not aware of the problem.
Does anyone have any thoughts on a cure?
Byroncat
Are you getting a clicking sound? If so I had the same issue. Car is currently at the mechanics getting work done.

For me every time I started the car the "auto button" would be lit up and the climate controls will not respond. can't do anything. After about 30 seconds or so on the nav screen a message will pop up that says A/C off and everything will be back to normal. If I turn off the car and start it again immediately it would be fine, but if you let it sit for more than 5 minutes it will revert back again and i would have to wait the 30 seconds of reset time.

from what I have gathered so far my clicking was due to the servo blend door motor. It has been changed as of this morning and clicking is gone, but i'm still getting the initial 30 second delay on the A/C system.
sleekmr3 is offline  
Old 05-15-13, 02:40 PM
  #4  
sleekmr3
Driver
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: ca
Posts: 112
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

here is another link to someone else that has a similar issue.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...l-problem.html
sleekmr3 is offline  
Old 05-15-13, 05:19 PM
  #5  
sleekmr3
Driver
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: ca
Posts: 112
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

sleekmr3 is offline  
Old 05-19-13, 07:51 PM
  #6  
byroncat
Rookie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 66
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by sleekmr3 View Post
Are you getting a clicking sound? If so I had the same issue. Car is currently at the mechanics getting work done.

For me every time I started the car the "auto button" would be lit up and the climate controls will not respond. can't do anything. After about 30 seconds or so on the nav screen a message will pop up that says A/C off and everything will be back to normal. If I turn off the car and start it again immediately it would be fine, but if you let it sit for more than 5 minutes it will revert back again and i would have to wait the 30 seconds of reset time.

from what I have gathered so far my clicking was due to the servo blend door motor. It has been changed as of this morning and clicking is gone, but i'm still getting the initial 30 second delay on the A/C system.
I just did the fix suggested by Puppo420; It seemed to work. You may wish to read my reply.
Byroncat
byroncat is offline  
Old 06-26-17, 08:20 PM
  #7  
Neek804
Driver School Candidate
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Virginia
Posts: 18
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by byroncat View Post
I just did the fix suggested by Puppo420; It seemed to work. You may wish to read my reply.
Byroncat
Was this a permanent fix for you? You did mean you fixed it by pushing the cabin air filter down all the way right ?
Neek804 is offline  
Old 06-27-17, 07:10 PM
  #8  
DavidinCT
Lexus Test Driver
 
DavidinCT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Someplace in CT
Posts: 1,155
Thanked 39 Times in 37 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Neek804 View Post
Was this a permanent fix for you? You did mean you fixed it by pushing the cabin air filter down all the way right ?
If have the issue, odds are it's too late. Where you set your temp and auto... You shut off the car for a few hours, then when you turn on the car, the A/C does nothing for about a min or 2, then it goes "A/C OFF", when you turn the A/C on manually, it will reset to 75 degrees. Every day you turn it on, it does the same thing.

The whole problem is because someone forced the door open to change the air filter and it was not on RECULATE as it should of been.

I had this issue, I was able to fix it. It took a few hours and you have to take the glove box off (a good 2-3 hour project unless your really good with tools). Now the actual problem is a little clip popped off and with a screw driver, you can fix it in about 5 seconds, the problem is removing the whole glove box to do it.. Most cases the clip popped off but, some cases (tho rare), the clip broke and that would be very bad.

Now there is a full DIY to get the glove box off and if you do a little more research, you can see where the clip came off... others ran into this issue and fixed it

Edit: How to get the glove box off...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...tment-diy.html

And this is what it looks like when it POPPED off...and how easy it is to fix..

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ml#post9121656

And it looks scary but, there is enough detail to follow, it's pretty easy over all to do, just follow the directions, make small piles of screws so you know what goes where and TAKE YOUR TIME. Taking your time, it will take 2-3 hours to do. And will save you like $1000-1600 at the dealer.

Last edited by DavidinCT; 06-27-17 at 07:22 PM.
DavidinCT is offline  
Old 06-28-17, 06:53 AM
  #9  
Neek804
Driver School Candidate
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Virginia
Posts: 18
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Ok thank you so much, Im definitely ready to try this myself.
I am getting error 41 when I run the climate control diagnostics(holding auto and recir button). I've read it's has something to do with the servo mix circuit. Maybe this is why my passenger side only blows cold now even when on "Hi"

Btw when I have my glove box open and the cabin filter uncovered, I can see the door that opens and closes when u press the recirc button still works. So maybe my door isn't broken but could be the air mix servo its self?!

Ok just got back from taking out glovebox, looking at servos and both arms are working fine. Nothing was broken or off track. But still not head on the passenger. I notice my driver side radiator fan isn't coming on and the passenger side seems to be running harder to compensate maybe it's a separate issue or has something to do with this you think??

Last edited by Neek804; 06-28-17 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Adding info
Neek804 is offline  
Old 07-02-17, 12:18 PM
  #10  
DavidinCT
Lexus Test Driver
 
DavidinCT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Someplace in CT
Posts: 1,155
Thanked 39 Times in 37 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Neek804 View Post
Ok thank you so much, Im definitely ready to try this myself.
I am getting error 41 when I run the climate control diagnostics(holding auto and recir button). I've read it's has something to do with the servo mix circuit. Maybe this is why my passenger side only blows cold now even when on "Hi"

Btw when I have my glove box open and the cabin filter uncovered, I can see the door that opens and closes when u press the recirc button still works. So maybe my door isn't broken but could be the air mix servo its self?!

Ok just got back from taking out glovebox, looking at servos and both arms are working fine. Nothing was broken or off track. But still not head on the passenger. I notice my driver side radiator fan isn't coming on and the passenger side seems to be running harder to compensate maybe it's a separate issue or has something to do with this you think??
Sorry didn't see your reply the other day. If the door opens and closes when trying to change the air filter, this is something beyond me.
DavidinCT is offline  
Old 07-22-17, 11:21 AM
  #11  
CourtneyH
Driver School Candidate
 
CourtneyH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Colorado
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile Check your cabin filter

I had the same issue with my GX 470 turning off the A/C and I had to repeatedly press the button again to hope it would work. I found out my Cabin filter was really dirty and needed replacing. This is most likely the car turning off the A/C to prevent over heating parts from what I'm told - Makes sense. For a new cabin filter of $25 my A/C is running like a champ again and no issues. I had it changed when my oil was being serviced. Lexus in Denver actually tried to tell me that I needed a new compressor of $3K instead of checking this at all.. I hope this helps!
CourtneyH is offline  
Old 07-22-17, 01:01 PM
  #12  
Nguyenazn
Rookie
 
Nguyenazn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: TX
Posts: 93
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Mine acting up weird too but in a different manner. Sometimes, when i start the car and the ac wouldn't want to start up. It pops up with a message that please check the connection to the air conditioner with no outside temperture display. I had to switch off the Beat Sonic DVD control bypass off and restart the car for several times and wait a bit for it to come back up with the AC.
Nguyenazn is offline  
Old 07-12-18, 06:17 PM
  #13  
Elycan323
Driver School Candidate
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: 90027
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Ac goes on and off specially when the temperature goes above 95f

Hello
anynody that might experience this problem
on a Lexus LS 460 13
the ac goes on and off I change the freeze liquid. Every time the temperature goes above 95f the ac goes off and on constantly. I turn off the ac then back it kind of goes cool. In the morning I have no problem with ac itís cool but once itís hot. I also experience when I have full bar on it switch off and on in the afternoon.
thank you
Elycan323 is offline  


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A/C malfunction


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: