Air conditioner not working, no cold air, no vents. No A/C! - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

Go Back  ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion > Lexus Model Forums > SC Models > SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)
Air conditioner not working, no cold air, no vents. No A/C! >

Air conditioner not working, no cold air, no vents. No A/C!

Notices
SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Air conditioner not working, no cold air, no vents. No A/C!

Old 07-11-13, 02:29 AM
  #1  
Alex818
Driver
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: FL
Posts: 100
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Air conditioner not working, no cold air, no vents. No A/C!

Experts I need your help again.

Car sat there for 2 days non driven. Started it up, turned on the AC and it wouldn't blow through the front vents no matter what "mode" I select whether its on vents or legs. Instead it only blows through the windshield ones for the windshield. And it is also blowing outside air or maybe hot air, regardless what temperature I select and with the "AC" button on.

Before when I would press the "AC" button while the air was running I can hear a compressor or some clicking sound which is normal but now there's no sound when I press that and no sound when "mode" is changed.

What I've tried:
All fuses, all are good.
AC relay (good).
Disconnect the battery for 10 min, reconnect. Nothing.
Repair manual suggested action where it displays some codes. (I failed to link those codes to a proper definition in the manual)

Its been 90+ degree here in CA. I cant drive this car without AC. I'm forced to take my other car which leads the German's to a victory in this battle.
Alex818 is offline  
Old 07-11-13, 10:45 AM
  #2  
FlopTop04
Pole Position
 
FlopTop04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 283
Thanked 21 Times in 17 Posts
Default

If this problem and all of the stated symptoms occurred all at once, I usually assume a single point of failure
caused everything.

The Heat A/C in my 2004 has been working perfectly with the exception of losing the R134a charge while in
winter storage. With no refrigerant, all of the controls, settings and fans worked normally, but could only
get non-cooled air. The compressor would never come on due to the low refrigerant sensor switch circuit.

Being as the display functions but the controls don't cause the air source to change, the AC controller assy
is an obvious possible problem area, especially with the multiple symptoms.

Before going to the dealer here are some easy checks to make.

Think I would pop that control panel out and verify that the harnesses are securely seated.

Next would be to check the fuses involved with the Heat AC system. Remember that a simple visual check
is not enough. You should pull the fuse and do a continuity check with a Digital Multi Meter on it also. There
are several fuses to check, not all are obviously labeled as A/C related.

50 Amp Heater @ under hood fuse box, passenger side, in front of battery
10 Amp Heater @ Driver Kick Panel fuse box
10 Amp D-IG @ Driver Kick Panel fuse box
7.5 Amp MPX-B2 @ Passenger Kick Panel fuse box ( fed from 15 Amp D/C Cut fuse )
7.5 Amp MPX-IG @ Driver Kick Panel fuse box
10 Amp RADIO NO. 2 @ Passenger Kick Panel fuse box
5 Amp A/C @ Passenger Kick Panel fuse box

Some of these fuses, if blown, would cause other symptoms, too.

Last edited by FlopTop04; 07-12-13 at 04:37 AM.
FlopTop04 is online now  
Old 07-11-13, 04:18 PM
  #3  
momssc
Driver
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: la
Posts: 156
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

On my 02, I have a mode I can make go into and it will tell me if something is wrong in that system. Someone else here will be able to direct you there. I forgot how I know this. Don't know if I got instruction here or where.
momssc is offline  
Old 07-11-13, 08:26 PM
  #4  
Prasha
Pole Position
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: CA
Posts: 349
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default

My 02 A/C works fine, is periodic maintenance necessary?
Prasha is offline  
Old 07-11-13, 10:34 PM
  #5  
Alex818
Driver
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: FL
Posts: 100
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Success

The only thing I had not done was floptop's advice about checking the wires. I pulled out the console AC unit and saw 2 out of the 3 cables had come unplugged Thanks a lot for the response and the idea and everyone else who contributed.

Alex818 is offline  
Old 07-12-13, 04:33 AM
  #6  
FlopTop04
Pole Position
 
FlopTop04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 283
Thanked 21 Times in 17 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Prasha View Post
My 02 A/C works fine, is periodic maintenance necessary?
Prasha:
The A/C system is a sealed system and as long as everything stays that way, there isn't much maintenance
required. The refrigerant ( R134a ) and lubricant ( ND-8 ) in the system never needs changing. However, it is
not considered unusual or unacceptable if the system loses a small amount of R134a over time. It is under 50+
PSI while not in use and around 200 PSI ( high side ) during operation. Here are my thoughts on maintenance.
1. It is a good idea to run the A/C ( compressor ) year round to allow the normal operation to move the lubricant
around in the system. This will help keep the seals in good condition & working.
2. Check to ensure that the two A/C service access ports ( Hi and Lo side ) have their caps on and securely in place.
The Lo side is on the A/C refrigerant line by the compressor ( aluminum pipe ), drivers side of engine, a bit forward
of the engine oil dip stick. The Hi side cap is in front of the condenser core ( in front of the radiator ), on the drivers
side. It has the low pressure switch and the sight-glass in the same tube line.
3. Depending on your local conditions, check and clean and bugs / debris from the front of the condenser core.
This will allow better air flow for cooling both the A/C system and the engine.
4. Replace the cabin air filter at regular intervals, depending on vehicle use. There is a DIY post or two on this
procedure.
5. While the system is on & working properly ( hopefully forever ), clean the A/C system sight-glass and using a
flashlight, look at the refrigerant flowing by. It should not be cloudy and a few occasional bubbles is normal.
If you ever feel the system is not blowing cold enough air, check the sight-glass. Too many bubbles passing by
means the refrigerant is low and some service is required.
6. Occasionally check under the car while the A/C is on, to verify some water condensation is dripping from the
evaporator core drain tube ( passenger side of engine compartment, by firewall, below battery ). It can become
clogged by debris entering the system from the vents near the windshield wiper park area.

Really not much to do. Just run the A/C frequently and keep the car clean.

Last edited by FlopTop04; 07-12-13 at 04:38 AM.
FlopTop04 is online now  
Old 07-12-13, 04:57 AM
  #7  
momssc
Driver
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: la
Posts: 156
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Alex818 View Post
The only thing I had not done was floptop's advice about checking the wires. I pulled out the console AC unit and saw 2 out of the 3 cables had come unplugged Thanks a lot for the response and the idea and everyone else who contributed.


Does that mean it's working now?
momssc is offline  
Old 07-12-13, 06:15 AM
  #8  
mandyfig
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: GA
Posts: 10,631
Thanked 82 Times in 79 Posts
Default

Sounds like it...another happy and satisfied member...
mandyfig is offline  
Old 07-12-13, 02:04 PM
  #9  
Alex818
Driver
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: FL
Posts: 100
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default but there is another issue

Yes its working fine. But there has been another problem ever since I bought the car used. There is something rattling from what sounds like to be from behind the glove compartment. Took the compartment out, AC filter, and sound still comes. Nothing is loose inside the hood either. I had someone take a look at it said it is behind the glove compartment and it is the AC box and it is nearly impossible to make it stop. Said the entire dash needs to be taken apart and might still not have access to it.
Alex818 is offline  
Old 07-12-13, 02:30 PM
  #10  
FlopTop04
Pole Position
 
FlopTop04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 283
Thanked 21 Times in 17 Posts
Default

I had a car with that annoying noise once. Seemed to happen as I made a turn, mostly. Figured it was a coin that got dropped down the windshield defrost air vent and was rolling back and forth in the air duct somewhere.

Taking the A/C Heater core assy out of the SC430 covers many pages in the repair manual...
FlopTop04 is online now  
Old 07-12-13, 02:45 PM
  #11  
Alex818
Driver
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: FL
Posts: 100
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Oh thats what its called. Ya I don't mind doing it, just don't have the repair manual. I got these 2 diagrams its the only thing I have to work with.

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/oem-cat...C430-2002.html
http://lexus.sewellparts.com/oem-cat...C430-2002.html



Originally Posted by FlopTop04 View Post
I had a car with that annoying noise once. Seemed to happen as I made a turn, mostly. Figured it was a coin that got dropped down the windshield defrost air vent and was rolling back and forth in the air duct somewhere.

Taking the A/C Heater core assy out of the SC430 covers many pages in the repair manual...
Alex818 is offline  
Old 07-12-13, 04:26 PM
  #12  
FlopTop04
Pole Position
 
FlopTop04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 283
Thanked 21 Times in 17 Posts
Default

I don't envy you that job. It would be a very difficult task with only those diagrams to guide you.

While the service manuals instructions are condensed on to 3 pages, most of the steps (43 for removal ) are just
links to other sections of the manual where the complete process is detailed. Chapter 55 is for the A/C Heater but
this job references Chapters 67, 60, 50, 82, 71 and 65 ( some of them several times during the 43 steps ). I don't think
I could get all of that copied or photographed and posted. If you lived near by, I would lend you the manual for the
weekend.

Another option is getting the shop manuals, used, on EBay. Prices vary and there are 2 volumes plus a third one
that covers the electrical ( for my 2004 ). Think they went to three volumes plus the one electrical in 2006.
FlopTop04 is online now  
Old 07-13-13, 01:05 AM
  #13  
Alex818
Driver
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: FL
Posts: 100
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

thank you i appreciate you looking into it. I checked on ebay theyre quite pricey. I wonder if take it to local lexus mechanic maybe they can do it there or have an online or pdf version of the manual. I doubt they purchase every repair manual for every single car. They must be using some sort of computerized system


Originally Posted by FlopTop04 View Post
I don't envy you that job. It would be a very difficult task with only those diagrams to guide you.

While the service manuals instructions are condensed on to 3 pages, most of the steps (43 for removal ) are just
links to other sections of the manual where the complete process is detailed. Chapter 55 is for the A/C Heater but
this job references Chapters 67, 60, 50, 82, 71 and 65 ( some of them several times during the 43 steps ). I don't think
I could get all of that copied or photographed and posted. If you lived near by, I would lend you the manual for the
weekend.

Another option is getting the shop manuals, used, on EBay. Prices vary and there are 2 volumes plus a third one
that covers the electrical ( for my 2004 ). Think they went to three volumes plus the one electrical in 2006.
Alex818 is offline  
Old 06-25-15, 05:39 PM
  #14  
hamp
Driver School Candidate
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default The switch by the sight glass is for what? There is no freon in the sight glass the a

Originally Posted by FlopTop04 View Post
Prasha:
The A/C system is a sealed system and as long as everything stays that way, there isn't much maintenance
required. The refrigerant ( R134a ) and lubricant ( ND-8 ) in the system never needs changing. However, it is
not considered unusual or unacceptable if the system loses a small amount of R134a over time. It is under 50+
PSI while not in use and around 200 PSI ( high side ) during operation. Here are my thoughts on maintenance.
1. It is a good idea to run the A/C ( compressor ) year round to allow the normal operation to move the lubricant
around in the system. This will help keep the seals in good condition & working.
2. Check to ensure that the two A/C service access ports ( Hi and Lo side ) have their caps on and securely in place.
The Lo side is on the A/C refrigerant line by the compressor ( aluminum pipe ), drivers side of engine, a bit forward
of the engine oil dip stick. The Hi side cap is in front of the condenser core ( in front of the radiator ), on the drivers
side. It has the low pressure switch and the sight-glass in the same tube line.
3. Depending on your local conditions, check and clean and bugs / debris from the front of the condenser core.
This will allow better air flow for cooling both the A/C system and the engine.
4. Replace the cabin air filter at regular intervals, depending on vehicle use. There is a DIY post or two on this
procedure.
5. While the system is on & working properly ( hopefully forever ), clean the A/C system sight-glass and using a
flashlight, look at the refrigerant flowing by. It should not be cloudy and a few occasional bubbles is normal.
If you ever feel the system is not blowing cold enough air, check the sight-glass. Too many bubbles passing by
means the refrigerant is low and some service is required.
6. Occasionally check under the car while the A/C is on, to verify some water condensation is dripping from the
evaporator core drain tube ( passenger side of engine compartment, by firewall, below battery ). It can become
clogged by debris entering the system from the vents near the windshield wiper park area.

Really not much to do. Just run the A/C frequently and keep the car clean.
what switch
hamp is offline  
Old 07-14-15, 03:11 PM
  #15  
mcook2000
Driver School Candidate
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: TEXAS
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Posted this on another thread but hopefully it will help someone. I looked for the AC Low pressure port for 2 hours before finding it. I used A/C Pro recharge kit and it worked awesome. Only one side, the passenger side was cooling. The hardest part was finding the Low pressure Port. Here is a picture of it. It is right beneath the oil dipstick and right in front of the fan blade so be careful. BEWARE~ I actually turned the car off, connected the hose, then turned it back on with the AC full blast to get the pressure reading. Turning the car off to connect the pressure gage will work but you have to turn it back on with the air conditioning on high to get a proper reading.



ES 350 5th generation 2008 AC low pressure port is right under the oil dipstick.<br/>
mcook2000 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Air conditioner not working, no cold air, no vents. No A/C!


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: