LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1998 LS400 temperature sensor not working properly

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-18, 08:27 PM
Yamae
Forum Moderator

Received 898 Likes on 679 Posts

Originally Posted by YODAONE
Perhaps someone familiar with circuits cares to sort out which component(s) have failed...and repair techniques...
Not all of us care to or are capable of working on circuit boards, however it is helpful to have information handy to conserve electronics tech time.
Like I have written ,"We have to be careful for aged electrolytic capacitors especially the one with the QAS liquid inside and some company's one with a rubber which becomes very hard like a plastic and brittle as are like those 2 used for a Celica's tachometer" at my blog here writing for my old friends abroad, one idea is to check electrolytic capacitors unconditionally. I'd say 80% of failures of circuits are caused by them. Those who are not familiar to circuits might be able to fix the board just replacing electrolytic capacitors.

As a circuit designer, I make it a rule to choose electrolytic capacitors to be OK for more than 30 years or more calculating the life span in accordance with the Arrhenius equation but what I now experience is that some fail quicker than expected due to other reasons that the rubber becomes quite brittle and some liquids corrode metal leads. Rubber parts are surely prone to fail and chemical reactions are beyond our assumption sometimes.
Old 05-08-18, 03:18 PM
WaveRunner
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's a shop out in Wisconsin called Tanin Electronix that will fix your gauge. You have to remove it and send it out to them. They sell a refurbished gauge cluster that they claim they've made longevity enhancements to for $699 which is rather steep. Apparently they can set the mileage to match yours. After I get other things replaced like the never ending suspension issues I will look into getting the gauge cluster repaired. It isn't at the top of my priorities at present as the car runs well.
Old 07-09-18, 07:10 PM
Mando29
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fuzzygrape
Just an update... It's the instrument cluster! Apparently my car is running at normal temp and the temp sensor/thermostat are functioning normally... But the gauge is climbing too high. Lexus wanted to charge me $600 to fix it so I passed!
Hello, ive been reading around and i i also have the same problem, ive even replaced the radiator and the thermostat and it still goes to 3/4 the gauge.... And it just stays their, i drove it in stop and go traffic while it was 108° (I live in AZ lol) and it won't move, i also have the sticky gauge cluster and my fuel gage only goes to half way from full and stays their lol. So im wondering if i have the same issue, ive even done a coolant flush (not a 100% flush) and it still does it!
Old 07-09-18, 10:28 PM
WaveRunner
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mando29
Hello, ive been reading around and i i also have the same problem, ive even replaced the radiator and the thermostat and it still goes to 3/4 the gauge.... And it just stays their, i drove it in stop and go traffic while it was 108° (I live in AZ lol) and it won't move, i also have the sticky gauge cluster and my fuel gage only goes to half way from full and stays their lol. So im wondering if i have the same issue, ive even done a coolant flush (not a 100% flush) and it still does it!
I have the exact same issues. I'm almost certain it is the gauge cluster acting up. I changed the fuel sender in the gas tank but it changed nothing with the fuel gauge. Will get this fixed but not a priority. The trip computer miles till empty is accurate.
Old 06-03-22, 03:55 PM
RelentLex
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by BIPPUthis!
I have the same problem on my cluster. There are two sensors that drive the temp gauge. The ECT (engine coolant temperature) sensor...which is the sender, then there's the temperature gauge receiver...which is in the cluster itself. If you don't have any other cluster issues (e.g. rpm and speed sticky needle issue), you can replace the receiver but if you have other issues as well such as the sticky needles...you may want to send it for repair as stated above.
Reviving an old thread but...anyone have a part number for this cluster temp gauge receiver?
Old 06-10-22, 08:59 PM
FloridaCam
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OP, I would buy a bluetooth OBD reader and monitor the temperature and remove the guess work. If it reads ~200F, I would not care.