LC Model (2018-present)

Exhaust valves

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-23, 04:15 AM
TCB1977
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your sound clip sounds like its working.. I did mine under the car as one connector in each side. Not heard of doing it in the trunk, many many articles on the underside, but do know they make a controller to do it your way. Yes when they didn't work last week, then plugged both back in, started car for a bit, then with car completely shut down & key way away the car then un-did drivers side and could fell the difference (pressure) after car idled down in the outer exhaust pipe (meaning it's flap/valve defaulted to open).. Did the other side then covered & taped up connectors. Your car looks just like mine, enjoy. Ep
Old 05-04-23, 10:40 AM
Badhobz
Instructor

Received 565 Likes on 305 Posts

So i plugged the exhaust valves back in today.

I reset the ECU, and immediately noticed the sound is not only louder, but improved at mid range/high RPMs and there are more cracks/pops during downshifts. I believe having the exhaust valves open all the time caused the computer to dial something back. For all you gents who unplugged the valves for a while, try it with the valves plugged back in. You'll notice a difference for sure (caveat only above 3k rpm. Below 3k RPM it sounds completely muffled)

unplugged - sounds better at low rpm, more rumble, deeper. but lose the frequencies of high RPM operation. Plus it seems you get significantly less crackles and pops
plugged - sounds like almost nothing at low rpm (sub 3k rpm) but then its an huge audible increase past 3k rpm and it sounds like cams are changing over. Almost has this exotic racing quality to it as it rushes to redline.
Old 05-04-23, 08:20 PM
Nguyenazn
Pit Crew

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Badhobz
So i plugged the exhaust valves back in today.

I reset the ECU, and immediately noticed the sound is not only louder, but improved at mid range/high RPMs and there are more cracks/pops during downshifts. I believe having the exhaust valves open all the time caused the computer to dial something back. For all you gents who unplugged the valves for a while, try it with the valves plugged back in. You'll notice a difference for sure (caveat only above 3k rpm. Below 3k RPM it sounds completely muffled)

unplugged - sounds better at low rpm, more rumble, deeper. but lose the frequencies of high RPM operation. Plus it seems you get significantly less crackles and pops
plugged - sounds like almost nothing at low rpm (sub 3k rpm) but then its an huge audible increase past 3k rpm and it sounds like cams are changing over. Almost has this exotic racing quality to it as it rushes to redline.
How do you reset ECU ?
Old 05-04-23, 08:54 PM
Badhobz
Instructor

Tech stream software through obd2 port

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...64328-9999.pdf
Old 05-05-23, 01:04 PM
nsise
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dad just bought a lc500 and I’ve been trying to convince him to give this a try but he’s worried about voiding his warranty or it leading to negative side. Are there any downsides to disconnecting the wires and leaving the valves open?
Old 05-06-23, 08:30 AM
Nguyenazn
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by nsise
My dad just bought a lc500 and I’ve been trying to convince him to give this a try but he’s worried about voiding his warranty or it leading to negative side. Are there any downsides to disconnecting the wires and leaving the valves open?
To me, i could be wrong but there is only one downside is that your exhaust cover will get some black smoke on the bottom from time to time. No big deal, just clean them up with a mild degreaser and you good to go ! This aint no lambo so no need to worry to fk anything up. Enjoy
Old 05-08-23, 08:53 AM
Badhobz
Instructor

okay so i believe i figured it out. i think while i had the exhaust valves unplugged, they were actually closed. All you guys who unplugged your exhaust valves, try and replug them and see if you notice an HUGE audible difference.

It could be that when you have the valves unplugged they default to closed. Or.... they were open when you first unplug, but eventually that valve closes due to pressures from the exhaust gasses

Last edited by Badhobz; 05-08-23 at 09:09 AM.
Old 05-08-23, 09:39 AM
Nguyenazn
Pit Crew

I was thinking to do this but i gotta be fast ! Jack up the car on stands ! Lay down and get ready, one person start the car, as soon as it starts ima unplug both side and see if anything diff !
Old 05-08-23, 10:07 AM
Badhobz
Instructor

I havent looked into the tail pipe, but i recall the old days we used to prop the valves open with a golf T.
Old 07-28-23, 08:33 AM
pmnuon79
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperGT
Correct, default is open. Just be sure to properly secure the four harnesses up and away from the exhaust pipes and seal the connectors to protect against water and dirt. Won’t trigger any cluster lights or code.
do u seal the connectors on the harnesses AND the port attached to the exhaust ? Or just the harnesses
Old 07-28-23, 08:45 AM
North1Star
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by pmnuon79
do u seal the connectors on the harnesses AND the port attached to the exhaust ? Or just the harnesses
There is an OEM plug from Toyota that close both ends properly. It works more like a cover. I bought it from https://www.rakuten.co.jp last year but I couldn’t find it anymore. I still didn’t install it so I will search for it and followup with a picture once I find it. Hopefully your local Toyota delaer can recognize it and get you two sets. There is no part# on the item i got.