IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Frozen Navigation Screen Fix DIY

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-12, 12:59 PM
stef_khan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My nav touch screen stopped working, but the brains of the unit works just fine. I'm not sure if this would help the problem or not. Dealer quoted $1,565 to replace the screen (ouch!)
Old 03-18-12, 02:11 PM
greg0126
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by stef_khan
My nav touch screen stopped working, but the brains of the unit works just fine. I'm not sure if this would help the problem or not. Dealer quoted $1,565 to replace the screen (ouch!)
Read through the thread if you haven't already. Either fix the circuit yourself, order a new screen on eBay, or see if corporate helps. There is no need to pay that much unless you're massively uncomfortable using any of the aforementioned options.
Old 03-19-12, 12:28 PM
dht34
Driver School Candidate

Just wanted to say this thread has been tremendously helpful. I went ahead and applied the fix as outlined by other forum members. My faulty wire was the 1st and 3rd. Initially after curing for 30mins, it didn't seem to work and was going to order the touchscreen off ebay. This morning while warming up the car decided to give it a try and YES! IT LIVES! Hope it continues to work as it should. Cost was for the circuitwire and some free time.

Thanks again!
Old 03-28-12, 08:16 PM
Magicks
Rookie

Tried fixing circuit but didn't work so I ordered the screen on ebay. Took everything out again and replaced the screen. Screen works now.
Old 04-23-12, 02:21 AM
istarzan
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Screen just crapped out on me too. Bump for any new inputs.
Old 04-23-12, 06:13 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by istarzan
If I were you I'd call Carmax to find out if MaxCare covers navigation, because I can't find it under either covered or not covered on their website.
Old 04-26-12, 12:50 PM
typerr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by calvin2376
If I were you I'd call Carmax to find out if MaxCare covers navigation, because I can't find it under either covered or not covered on their website.
I'm currently having my screen replaced by Carmax under the Maxcare extended warranty so yes carmax does cover navigation.
Old 04-26-12, 03:48 PM
istarzan
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by typerr
I'm currently having my screen replaced by Carmax under the Maxcare extended warranty so yes carmax does cover navigation.
Ahhh. Good to know. When i bought my car last year, I specifically asked if it covered nav. The salesman said yes and last year on the site it said yes too but it disappeared.

I'm gonna op for Lexus to do the repair cuz i don't trust carmax. Also Lexus gives you a free loaner.

Typerr, let me know how it turns out.
Old 04-29-12, 10:22 AM
CCJ22
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by istarzan
There are no new inputs. Though I have recently decided to start helping forum members. Feel free to ship your nav screen to me.
Old 05-25-12, 09:42 AM
tdrag97
Pit Crew

multimeter noob...

ok guys.. mine just die two days ago.. got everything.. but now sure how to do the test to find which one is bad..

pix doesn't show what setting for the multimeter and where the black is touching ... anyone have picture of details for a multimeter noob...
Old 05-25-12, 12:35 PM
tdrag97
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by CCJ22
Jon, what I did was with an exacto knife and magnifying glass (that was built into my table with lever so I don't have to hold it) I exposed the 1 and 3 strips on the ribbon to reveal the copper underneathe them. For me it was 1 & 3 and I verified this with a multimeter... Once I exposed the copper I then began to "write" with the pen. It's very easy actually. You basically just scribble a couple of times with it. Then I waited about 15 minutes (though you don't have to) and when I came back I recheked with a multimeter that it was good. After that you're done put it all back together. (although to be safe I plugged up the nav without all the fancy exterior plastic and verified it work before applying the plastics.

I think Vroomin350 had to do things a little different. I think he exposed slightly under the glass and on the ribbon itself. I will PM him this thread so he can chime in here for you.

I need help guys.. i haven't use a muitmeter ever.. so i pick up a cheap one but what do i set it at, and how do meaesure? do you place the black(com) probe on the tiny end of the ribbon.. while the red probe along the same trace under the glass?
Old 05-25-12, 02:28 PM
tdrag97
Pit Crew

ok so I try to get a reading .. but nothing?

when we take about pin 1 thru 4.. we are talking about the large pin strip right?

like in these photo below.

as you can see i'm touching pin 1 and 3 nothing on the meter. I have good connection for sure cuz I scrap some off to expose the copper.

Attached Thumbnails Frozen Navigation Screen Fix DIY-dsc00442.jpg   Frozen Navigation Screen Fix DIY-dsc00443.jpg   Frozen Navigation Screen Fix DIY-dsc00444.jpg  
Old 05-26-12, 12:31 PM
CCJ22
Lexus Champion

CL user Steph had this same issue. We ended up having to order her a new screen. I installed the screen for her. Her nav is now working.
Old 05-26-12, 02:16 PM
tdrag97
Pit Crew

Ok guys and gals. Guess I didn't meter right or didn't know how.

Anyway. I scrap off all four pin to expose the copper, still unable to get a reading. At this point I gave up and about to order the eBay screen

I when ahead and just use the circuit writer to cover back the exposed copper and trace some to the glass lead. Even made sure some circuit writer when down into the gap where the lead are under the glass( careful not to put too much to touch the other).

Anyhow snap everything back together and IT WORK!!!! The only question is how long will this last.
(FYI, I try to chipping the glass to get the the lead but no luck. Just made sure the circuit writer can get into that gap down to the lead and I think you are good). I did two coating of circuit writer

How many of you guys us this fix and still running?

And how many use the fix and when did and end up buy a new screen?
Old 05-26-12, 10:12 PM
CCJ22
Lexus Champion

I've used this fix and it's still running.
Steph had her screen fixed for a split second then it crapped out again and she bought the ebay screen.
vroomin360 also has this fix still running.

Quick Reply: Frozen Navigation Screen Fix DIY