Frozen Navigation Screen Fix DIY - Page 5 - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

Notices
IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Frozen Navigation Screen Fix DIY

Reply

 
 
 
Old 02-25-12, 01:44 PM
  #61  
smokyis350
Lexus Champion
iTrader: (21)
 
smokyis350's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: california
Posts: 2,968
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by lobuxracer View Post
I wouldn't call $320 expensive compared to the dealer. That's about the same as one good tire.
+1. That is heck of a good price compared to what a dealer charges...
smokyis350 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-12, 11:55 AM
  #62  
razvan76
Driver School Candidate
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Romania
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

This is an amassing thread!!! Congrats!
In Europe the cost to change the entire unit is almost 13,000$
I will do what you have posted in here
razvan76 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-12, 03:12 PM
  #63  
yungsters
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NorCal
Posts: 60
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

This just happened to my 2006 IS350. Sigh...

Anyone around Northern California know how to do this? :\
yungsters is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-12, 05:22 PM
  #64  
DPark8285
Driver School Candidate
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: VA
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

My navigation has this issue and hasn't been fixed in over a year. Originally the screen wasn't responding to touch with everything operating fine. Now the screen when I push the MAP button the screen says "external unit not connected" and still the touch screen isn't responding.

If I do this fix wdo you guys think the issue will be fixed or is the "external unit not connected" another issue?

thanks
DPark8285 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-12, 05:56 PM
  #65  
greg0126
Lexus Test Driver
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
greg0126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,321
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

I haven't had the "external unit not connect" message but I think it's separate. I'd start by checking that all of the harnesses are securely connected.
greg0126 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-12, 07:21 PM
  #66  
DPark8285
Driver School Candidate
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: VA
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

will try. thanks again.
DPark8285 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-12, 12:34 PM
  #67  
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic
iTrader: (13)
 
Dx3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Posts: 10,653
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by DPark8285 View Post
My navigation has this issue and hasn't been fixed in over a year. Originally the screen wasn't responding to touch with everything operating fine. Now the screen when I push the MAP button the screen says "external unit not connected" and still the touch screen isn't responding.

If I do this fix wdo you guys think the issue will be fixed or is the "external unit not connected" another issue?

thanks
Whenever I was doing checks on my old screen, I put the old NAV back in and hooked up a couple of plugs just for the NAV unit, but left everything else that didn't seem like it corresponded to the NAV. In doing so, I got this same error message you mentioned. I think your problem may be with a loose plug, not something to do with touchscreen not working. At least, these are separate issues...

Jonny
Dx3 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-12, 12:16 AM
  #68  
yungsters
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NorCal
Posts: 60
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Thank you for posting this DIY! It saved me over $2k. I did this fix this past Sunday and just wanted to share my experience.

This was my first time opening the center console, and it was actually really easy! The only thing I've ever taken apart before was my steering wheel (to install the steering damper), the interior lighting covers (to install LEDs), and the side mirrors (to install LEDs).

Taking the GPS / CD / Radio out of my car took about 20 minutes the first time, but once you've done it once, it's actually doable in 5-10 minutes. When I unplugged all the cables, I cut out a white envelope label into tiny numbered labels to make sure I knew how to plug everything back together. (In retrospect, this was not necessary because it was pretty obvious and most were different sizes.) The tools listed are really the only things you need. You may want to get a socket wrench extender to make your life a bit easier, and a small set of pliers came in handy taking the cables off.

Also, the OP made taking off the vents seem harder than they really are. I highly advise just looking at a YouTube video made it really easy and really quick.

Actually taking the touch screen off the GPS unit was a bit harder. There's a step missing where you have to unscrew the front plate... pretty straightforward once you get there though (4 screws). Everything was very easy except for separating the three cables from the screen and the "screen holder". I actually pulled the ribbon out of its socket on accident, luckily without any damage. There's a four-pin (inside a five-pin holder) cable that you have to pull out from the bottom that I pulled too hard on and the pins actually came out of the holder. Luckily, I usually put computers together so I knew that the pins could just be shoved right back in. I recommend using the small set of pliers to pull the cable out of its socket by the plastic part. (Lesson: don't yank on wires to get them out of their sockets.)

I spent the most time on the touch screen. It was quick to debug which connection was loose, but for me it was hard to repair the connection. Some points that were non-obvious to me:
  • Use the exposed pins at the narrow end of the ribbon cable to debug.
  • The guide is suggesting that you scrape away at the glass above where the problematic part of the wide ribbon meets the glass.

Bullet 2 was very non-obvious, but maybe I just needed to read more closely. The idea is that the connection is broken right where the glass ends and the ribbon meets it. If you scrape away at the glass, you'll get to the conductive copper part under the glass. You use the CircuitWriter to connect the exposed copper part to the ribbon.

When I did this, I could not get the pin 4 (my problematic pin) on the ribbon and conductive copper under the glass to connect. I read that some people had luck with putting more CircuitWriter (being careful not to put too much so you're anywhere near the next pin), so I tried that and it still didn't work. I actually scheduled a Lexus appointment and made up my mind to bring it in and pay $2k.

Then I put everything back together (very fast, 10 minutes this time) and as I drove, out of habit, I pressed "I agree" on the GPS and it worked! I'm guessing that either my multi-meter sucked (by the way, get a good one with sharp pointer probes to make your life easier) or the CircuitWriter leaked in further and managed to amend the connection while I re-installed everything. Either way, $2k saved!

In total, this costed me ~$80 ($20 for screwdrivers*, $20 for the socket heads and adapter, $20 for the CircuitWriter, and $20 for a crappy multi-meter).

*Yes, I did not have one. That's how n00b I am.

Thanks again! Sorry for the long-winded post, but hopefully this helps someone.
yungsters is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-12, 03:22 PM
  #69  
speedstar
Pole Position
iTrader: (5)
 
speedstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: south, Fl.
Posts: 215
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Dx3 View Post
Well, for anyone still keeping up with this thread. I gave in and purchased the new screen from the seller in China on eBay. It arrived within 3 days. Here they are side by side

it in and it works with no issues. An expensive fix, but if the circuit writer trick doesn't work then at least we know this does...

Jonny
i just purchased mine, then stumbled upon your post lol..
speedstar is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-12, 05:42 PM
  #70  
cdubb883
Driver
 
cdubb883's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: So, FL
Posts: 117
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by CCJ22 View Post
Anyone in the Florida area. I am able to fix these... Just FYI
I've fixed 3 so far. Mine, Vroomin350 (more like he did most of the work I guided him), and my buddy Mikes
Hey what part of Florida?
cdubb883 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-12, 07:22 AM
  #71  
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic
iTrader: (13)
 
Dx3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Posts: 10,653
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by yungsters View Post
Thank you for posting this DIY! It saved me over $2k. I did this fix this past Sunday and just wanted to share my experience.

This was my first time opening the center console, and it was actually really easy! The only thing I've ever taken apart before was my steering wheel (to install the steering damper), the interior lighting covers (to install LEDs), and the side mirrors (to install LEDs).

Taking the GPS / CD / Radio out of my car took about 20 minutes the first time, but once you've done it once, it's actually doable in 5-10 minutes. When I unplugged all the cables, I cut out a white envelope label into tiny numbered labels to make sure I knew how to plug everything back together. (In retrospect, this was not necessary because it was pretty obvious and most were different sizes.) The tools listed are really the only things you need. You may want to get a socket wrench extender to make your life a bit easier, and a small set of pliers came in handy taking the cables off.

Also, the OP made taking off the vents seem harder than they really are. I highly advise just looking at a YouTube video made it really easy and really quick.

Actually taking the touch screen off the GPS unit was a bit harder. There's a step missing where you have to unscrew the front plate... pretty straightforward once you get there though (4 screws). Everything was very easy except for separating the three cables from the screen and the "screen holder". I actually pulled the ribbon out of its socket on accident, luckily without any damage. There's a four-pin (inside a five-pin holder) cable that you have to pull out from the bottom that I pulled too hard on and the pins actually came out of the holder. Luckily, I usually put computers together so I knew that the pins could just be shoved right back in. I recommend using the small set of pliers to pull the cable out of its socket by the plastic part. (Lesson: don't yank on wires to get them out of their sockets.)

I spent the most time on the touch screen. It was quick to debug which connection was loose, but for me it was hard to repair the connection. Some points that were non-obvious to me:
  • Use the exposed pins at the narrow end of the ribbon cable to debug.
  • The guide is suggesting that you scrape away at the glass above where the problematic part of the wide ribbon meets the glass.

Bullet 2 was very non-obvious, but maybe I just needed to read more closely. The idea is that the connection is broken right where the glass ends and the ribbon meets it. If you scrape away at the glass, you'll get to the conductive copper part under the glass. You use the CircuitWriter to connect the exposed copper part to the ribbon.

When I did this, I could not get the pin 4 (my problematic pin) on the ribbon and conductive copper under the glass to connect. I read that some people had luck with putting more CircuitWriter (being careful not to put too much so you're anywhere near the next pin), so I tried that and it still didn't work. I actually scheduled a Lexus appointment and made up my mind to bring it in and pay $2k.

Then I put everything back together (very fast, 10 minutes this time) and as I drove, out of habit, I pressed "I agree" on the GPS and it worked! I'm guessing that either my multi-meter sucked (by the way, get a good one with sharp pointer probes to make your life easier) or the CircuitWriter leaked in further and managed to amend the connection while I re-installed everything. Either way, $2k saved!

In total, this costed me ~$80 ($20 for screwdrivers*, $20 for the socket heads and adapter, $20 for the CircuitWriter, and $20 for a crappy multi-meter).

*Yes, I did not have one. That's how n00b I am.

Thanks again! Sorry for the long-winded post, but hopefully this helps someone.
I think as much information we can get on this thread the better. I am still hesitant to give up on mine, but I don't want to pull the car apart again to test it... Thx for the post as I am sure it will definitely help someone...

Jonny
Dx3 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-12, 03:39 PM
  #72  
speedstar
Pole Position
iTrader: (5)
 
speedstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: south, Fl.
Posts: 215
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Just came today w/ DHL!




The end result, wasting NO time!!


speedstar is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-12, 03:49 PM
  #73  
greg0126
Lexus Test Driver
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
greg0126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,321
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Glad it's working for you guys! Now you have an extra 2 grand in your pocket!
greg0126 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-12, 11:36 AM
  #74  
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
iTrader: (2)
 
lobuxracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Georgia
Posts: 17,034
Thanked 451 Times in 313 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by greg0126 View Post
Glad it's working for you guys! Now you have an extra 2 grand in your pocket!
I'd say you didn't have $2k run away from your wallet...hard to call it "extra" unless you find it on the street...
lobuxracer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-12, 09:30 AM
  #75  
cfrakes
Driver School Candidate
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: AZ
Posts: 31
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Been wondering how to do this. Good tutorial
cfrakes is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Frozen Navigation Screen Fix DIY


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: