IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Frozen Navigation Screen Fix DIY

Old 08-15-12, 05:38 AM
istarzan
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

For those that took your car to the dealer, how long did it take to fix? I bought extended warranty which is why I haven't attempted this DIY.
Old 08-15-12, 05:50 AM
greg0126
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Once they have the part I think it took them like an hour or two.
Old 08-15-12, 01:19 PM
istarzan
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Frozen Navigation Screen Fix DIY. have the part I think it took them like an hour or two.[/QUOTE]

Thanks but how long does the part take to arrive?
Old 08-15-12, 02:08 PM
greg0126
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by istarzan
Thanks but how long does the part take to arrive?
In my case I think it took a day, maybe two, but that could vary. I'm not sure how all of the logistics works.

Last edited by greg0126; 08-18-12 at 06:46 AM.
Old 08-15-12, 05:25 PM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Update #3

Installed the Ebay screen from China.

Works flawlessly

But it is yellow tented. Its almost like the screen just has less blue. Kinda reminds me of a black and white TV. But it works and I'll live with it.
Old 08-16-12, 10:49 AM
getmet
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I was told that my frozen navigation issue isnt the same as most of yours. But there are many of you that have had the same issue as me that ive seen. Was wondering if anyone has been able to find the culprite of the issue where the touch screen works only on certain (very few) menu pages. I found a YouTube video of someone with the EXACT same issue. I have a diff. car than the youtube video. I have an 07 is250 ------------- www (dot) youtube (dot) com/watch?v=6Q65ENLCF_8 ----------------- Sorry for the link, its just easier to explain with the video.

Unlike many of yours, mine started occuring not in the heat but rather in the freezing temperatures of winter.
My language button responds on the info page, but that happens no matter where you click on the screen.. But everywere else its frozen. Please help me. Im willing to sell this thing and just purchase a fly audio or something as well. fed up with lexus.

Last edited by getmet; 08-16-12 at 10:52 AM. Reason: typos
Old 08-17-12, 05:15 PM
DaKi3241
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by getmet
So I was told that my frozen navigation issue isnt the same as most of yours. But there are many of you that have had the same issue as me that ive seen. Was wondering if anyone has been able to find the culprite of the issue where the touch screen works only on certain (very few) menu pages. I found a YouTube video of someone with the EXACT same issue. I have a diff. car than the youtube video. I have an 07 is250 ------------- www (dot) youtube (dot) com/watch?v=6Q65ENLCF_8 ----------------- Sorry for the link, its just easier to explain with the video.

Unlike many of yours, mine started occuring not in the heat but rather in the freezing temperatures of winter.
My language button responds on the info page, but that happens no matter where you click on the screen.. But everywere else its frozen. Please help me. Im willing to sell this thing and just purchase a fly audio or something as well. fed up with lexus.
Hey! Trust me it's the navigation touch screen that went out. Your symptoms is still the same as many of us. It means 2 of your 4 connections are in tact. Meaning partially its working on the touch screen correct? The navi can't recognize your axis since some of them have been out. Meaning no boundaries to the touch meter on either left and right or up and down.
it's your connections!
You might of had a hot day in the morning, and even a dramatic cold temperature can shift things from the glue holding the touch screen glass and wire together.
Old 08-18-12, 03:12 AM
s6 4rings
Lead Lap

I was going to buy the ebay screen, but now glad i didn't. I dont want a different HUE on my screen, Also I talked to Lexus my dealership is replacing the entire NAV unit in Sept, and Lexus is paying half. I just hope that the nav unit plastic color matches the radios gray plastic.
Old 08-19-12, 12:05 PM
getmet
Driver School Candidate

thank you! i will try using the pen again and test it with a multimeter again!
Old 08-20-12, 04:42 PM
getmet
Driver School Candidate

so I tried to go back in there and test the unit, I couldnt figure out where the problem lies, but on connection 1, I tried to chip away some of the glass and the gold touchscreen connector chips away. I thought I might have gotten it working but when i put everything back together and tried it, the touch completely stopped working. I cant seem to understand how to chip away at the glass without ruining the gold connection piece on the touch screen to have the liquid from the pen to connect the ribbon and the screen

Last edited by getmet; 08-20-12 at 04:51 PM.
Old 08-23-12, 07:19 PM
bluby_U
Driver

I never thought id be saying this but… Success!!! Finally I got it to work. First time,(last yr) I did the ink too messy and didn't chip enough glass Second time(yesterday), It still wasn't enough chipped glass, third time (today) i chipped off a lot of glass w a blade and screwdriver. My advice:
Be patient and chip away, draw clean heavy ink lines, let it dry for 24+ hrs., and never give up. Mine went out almost two years ago, u can imagine how happy I am!!!!
Old 08-24-12, 08:38 AM
JackieBfly
Driver School Candidate

I posted this yesterday on a separate thread then realized that I SHOULD have actually asked this question here where the issue is specifically dedicated...

I've been looking for anyone who has had a similar navigation problem, but haven't found one. Hopefully someone can give me a possible solution or help to determine if my problem is linked to the already known 'frozen screen' issue:

I have an '06 IS350 in Breakwater Blue, bought it brand-new in Oct. '05, currently has 140k mi. In Central Cali.

My screen died on me about 6 months ago. When I say 'died' I mean no signs of life at all & it's essentially BLACK. Nav screen has no illumination. Now the radio & cd changer DO work, so I have music & the clock only. Side buttons surrounding the screen; (a/c, menu, audio etc.) have no illumination & are not operable either...... HOWEVER, approximately every 6 weeks or so, the screen will flicker a few times, I will see lines & the screen will begin to fade back in & the entire unit WILL become totally operational for just about 10 minutes (this is the only time I can get to make my a/c adjustments which will stay in effect for about another 6 weeks because it will die shortly thereafter.)

Has anyone else had this issue? I see the the more common complaint & problem is having the screen "Freeze" & totally locking up on the home screen. But my screen seems to have a short or power interruption.. Is it possible to fix my blackout with the same DYI for frozen screens, or is it something different? Of course the dealer wants $2300 for a new unit, but honestly.. I simply cant afford that, otherwise it would have been fixed months ago. Another possibility I thought was if this could be fixed by just replacing the 7" screen. What do you guys think? Any help would be tremendously appreciated!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-28-12, 06:37 AM
NYCIS350
Driver

Man my crap navigation is stuck now......
Old 08-28-12, 12:26 PM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by istarzan
For those that took your car to the dealer, how long did it take to fix? I bought extended warranty which is why I haven't attempted this DIY.
1-2 weeks depending on how long they get the part in.
Old 09-01-12, 04:07 PM
KOIS
Rookie

After half a year without nav and my DIY inability, I dealt with the fact that I’d probably have to by a new navigation when it came time to sell. Luckily, I found this thread and DaKi3241’s willingness to help out a fellow CL member.

When I reached out to DaKi, he got back to me the next day and we set up a time and place right away. A nice guy and knowledgable for sure, he takes you through each step of the repair. A guy who’s now worked on 10+ 2IS’s, I felt no need to worry about his work and surely in under 2 hours the repair was finished. The enjoyment you’ll get from having a fully-functional navigation screen again is something not many get to have! DaKi already knows, but I’d like to reiterate my thanks to him for his time and kindness.. and for letting me drive his car! Wow, do I wish I had a 350!

If anyone is ever in need of a navigation repair in SoCal, he’s the man for the job! Thanks again DaKi!

Originally Posted by DaKi3241
hey guys!

I worked with 5 navigations so far for IS350s and IS250s from years 07-09 from what I have seen... I feel like a pro now after working it a couple times and especially the ones with the virgin navi's that have never been taken out before.

Some stats from my experience:
07 IS350 non ML- Fixed! --Black exterior/ black interior--
06 IS250 non ML- not fixed --Black exterior/tan interior-- Still in the works... (after proper connection and perfectly etching the glass, still no luck... it may not be the screen anymore..)
08 IS350 non ML- Fixed! --Black exterior/ black interior--
09 IS250 non ML- Fixed! -- Black exterior/black interior--
and mine:
07 IS350 ML- Fixed! --silver exterior/silver interior--

What I can tell you guys is that all of the IS's I have worked with had symptoms of parking outside in the hot sun for too long and then.... no response from the navi...
So PLEASE park your cars in shades, under trees, under porches, inside the garage and etc!

And for some reason the navi targets majority of black ISs so far that I have seen. So please be careful!

I am located in 91011 area in Cali and can definitely help you guys if you guys need to. Some of the CL members can vouch for me . I do this for free to help out other local CL members!

The best feeling is when you see the members be so happy after suffering 1-2 years of no touch screen get fixed

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Frozen Navigation Screen Fix DIY