IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Frozen Navigation Screen Fix DIY

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-12, 09:00 AM
CCJ22
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone in the Florida area. I am able to fix these... Just FYI
I've fixed 3 so far. Mine, Vroomin350 (more like he did most of the work I guided him), and my buddy Mikes
Old 01-04-12, 09:16 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CCJ22
Anyone in the Florida area. I am able to fix these... Just FYI
I've fixed 3 so far. Mine, Vroomin350 (more like he did most of the work I guided him), and my buddy Mikes
I'm not in Florida so unfortunately I can't come see you. Do you have any input on this thread? Suggestions or tips?
Old 01-04-12, 10:17 AM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

How does a circuit-writer pen differ from that of a soldering iron?
Old 01-04-12, 10:37 AM
greg0126
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gville350
The pen doesn't use heat. I'm sure a precision soldering iron would also work if you have one.
Old 01-04-12, 12:55 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by greg0126
The pen doesn't use heat. I'm sure a precision soldering iron would also work if you have one.
The circuit writer pen doesn't crack. Solder does. I learned aircraft spec soldering more than 30 years ago - I'm really good at it - but I also know what it does not do well. Solder should never be used on something that flexes (including wiring harnesses) because solder cracks, and because flux wicks up the joint and will corrode over time. This introduced invisible wiring failures which are a nightmare to troubleshoot (just ask anyone who worked on 60's and 70's era aircraft before soldered Cannon plugs were replaced by crimped pin Cannon plugs).
Old 01-05-12, 06:53 AM
CCJ22
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Dx3
I'm not in Florida so unfortunately I can't come see you. Do you have any input on this thread? Suggestions or tips?
None really other then take your time, and make sure you move your shift lever all the way down towards the back seat. I can't stress it enough. That and the ac vent removal is really the hardest part in my opinion.
If you want you can ship it to me as long as you take it out of your car and pay for shipping to me and back.
Huge difference DO NOT USE SOLDERING IRON. I learned this the hard way.

Last edited by CCJ22; 01-05-12 at 06:56 AM.
Old 01-06-12, 07:31 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

None really other then take your time, and make sure you move your shift lever all the way down towards the back seat. I can't stress it enough. That and the ac vent removal is really the hardest part in my opinion.
If you want you can ship it to me as long as you take it out of your car and pay for shipping to me and back.

Huge difference DO NOT USE SOLDERING IRON. I learned this the hard way.
I appreciate the offer man - thank you very much. Most kind of you :thumb up:

I am going to give this a shot today. I have pulled hundreds of Lexus's apart so that is of no worry to me - it's just the whole circuit writer thing I am a little confused on. Do I expose the copper that's on the ribbon or the part that is on the glass? I don't want to do it and put it all back together and it not be right...

Thank you,
Jonny
Old 01-06-12, 09:22 AM
CCJ22
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Dx3
I appreciate the offer man - thank you very much. Most kind of you :thumb up:

I am going to give this a shot today. I have pulled hundreds of Lexus's apart so that is of no worry to me - it's just the whole circuit writer thing I am a little confused on. Do I expose the copper that's on the ribbon or the part that is on the glass? I don't want to do it and put it all back together and it not be right...

Thank you,
Jonny
Jon, what I did was with an exacto knife and magnifying glass (that was built into my table with lever so I don't have to hold it) I exposed the 1 and 3 strips on the ribbon to reveal the copper underneathe them. For me it was 1 & 3 and I verified this with a multimeter... Once I exposed the copper I then began to "write" with the pen. It's very easy actually. You basically just scribble a couple of times with it. Then I waited about 15 minutes (though you don't have to) and when I came back I recheked with a multimeter that it was good. After that you're done put it all back together. (although to be safe I plugged up the nav without all the fancy exterior plastic and verified it work before applying the plastics.

I think Vroomin350 had to do things a little different. I think he exposed slightly under the glass and on the ribbon itself. I will PM him this thread so he can chime in here for you.
Old 01-06-12, 09:30 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Jon, what I did was with an exacto knife and magnifying glass (that was built into my table with lever so I don't have to hold it) I exposed the 1 and 3 strips on the ribbon to reveal the copper underneathe them. For me it was 1 & 3 and I verified this with a multimeter... Once I exposed the copper I then began to "write" with the pen. It's very easy actually. You basically just scribble a couple of times with it. Then I waited about 15 minutes (though you don't have to) and when I came back I recheked with a multimeter that it was good. After that you're done put it all back together. (although to be safe I plugged up the nav without all the fancy exterior plastic and verified it work before applying the plastics.

I think Vroomin350 had to do things a little different. I think he exposed slightly under the glass and on the ribbon itself. I will PM him this thread so he can chime in here for you.
You're a good man sir - your help is greatly appreciated :thumb up:

I'm just pulling the NAV unit out as we speak

Jonny
Old 01-06-12, 10:03 AM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

the trick to the pen is simple. once you expose connecttor "pin 1" simply get the pen and put some of the liquid to fill where the piece u cut out used to be. Its self explanatory once you see it really, however make sure u practice with the pen first before going at the screen, it can get tricky not putting too much.
Old 01-06-12, 10:08 AM
greg0126
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Right so after a good two weeks of being happy my nav stopped working again today. Looks like I get to use my own DIY this weekend lol...
Old 01-06-12, 10:12 AM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

^ make sure the liquid from the pen doesnt spill over into any of the other connectors!
Old 01-06-12, 04:16 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

I sent you a PM. Could you give me a call/text? I'd like to take you up on this offer if it's still available - I failed pretty badly on it

Thank you,
Old 01-07-12, 05:46 AM
CCJ22
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Dx3
I sent you a PM. Could you give me a call/text? I'd like to take you up on this offer if it's still available - I failed pretty badly on it

Thank you,
PM replied
Old 01-08-12, 05:03 PM
bluby_U
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's not easy. The hardest part it scratching the glass off the reveal the copper. I tried it once and it didn't work. When I get a writer pen I'll try it again. I might need to etch away more glass.

Quick Reply: Frozen Navigation Screen Fix DIY