IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Frozen Navigation Screen Fix DIY

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-12, 05:01 PM
syfe1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I usually don't make many posts, but I felt that this instance would be appropriate.
First, after reading this whole thread, the directions were pretty much spot on. My navigation went out last week, and I have been researching my options on what to do. I scheduled an appointment to get a new screen, but figured that since I would be paying $2400 for a new screen (plus installation) I might as well give this fix a shot. I just finished about 10 minutes ago and everything works! Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread, you just saved me a ton of money. The total cost was $20 for the circuit writer. Great job guys!

I would like to clarify two thing to those who are going to try this fix:

- Once you meter the connections and find the faulty strip, YOU NEED TO ETCH THE GLASS till you get to the copper. I used a Dremel pointed stone bit to etch the glass till I was able to make a connection (I tested again with the meter). Since I did this by myself, I scraped all 4 connectors on the ribbon (Screen side) so that I can test while touching the screen. Strip 1 (from the front) was my culprit. I then used the circuit writer to make the connection.
- Take your time while etching the glass. It would have been great if I had a magnifying glass built into my workbench, luckily my eyes are still good. just make short strokes and focus only on the glass.

Again, thanks everyone for putting in, it was everyone's input that helped me. I am just hoping that my $.02 helps someone that is unsure about that part.
Old 05-28-12, 12:05 AM
Coconut
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 57 Posts

I did this fix around Nov of last year at 65k miles. I'm at 80k miles now and it still works.
Old 05-28-12, 04:05 PM
leeteezy
Driver School Candidate

I attempted to do this fix and for the finally finished this morning. The result was the touch did work but still not as responsive I had to press real hard and only the bottom half of screen was responsive but the top wasn't. Any ideas before I purchase a new screen? And where can I properly buy a screen? I know some said eBay how long did it take to get?
Old 05-28-12, 04:43 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by leeteezy
I attempted to do this fix and for the finally finished this morning. The result was the touch did work but still not as responsive I had to press real hard and only the bottom half of screen was responsive but the top wasn't. Any ideas before I purchase a new screen? And where can I properly buy a screen? I know some said eBay how long did it take to get?
Read post 91, 2 above yours, seems to explain that you need to etch the glass in order to make a good contact, this would explain the sluggish responsiveness.
Old 05-28-12, 06:43 PM
leeteezy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by My0gr81
Read post 91, 2 above yours, seems to explain that you need to etch the glass in order to make a good contact, this would explain the sluggish responsiveness.
I got pretty deep with my etch, chipped the screen and everything I also got readings from all four traces but still gives problems with the response
Old 05-28-12, 07:49 PM
FNFZ4
Driver

nice writeup and nice pics.. thanks for sharing.
Old 05-29-12, 01:50 PM
incubus05
Driver School Candidate

I too just attempted to fix my screen this Memorial weekend... and I'm happy I did. For some reason, I couldn't get a good reading on the meter, so I just decided to do all four. I guess i was lucky, I didn't have to etch the glass like everyone was saying to do. What I did was just get at the ribbon that was just under the glass and it worked. Also I had to do it a couple of times. Because after the first try, I notice the touch was off, for instance I was touch the screen at dead center, but it would trigger about half an inch above that. After the 3rd time, it was good as new.

Also i noticed when I plugged everything in and started the car, the navi would re-boot and after the first attempt, there would be vertical lines going across the screen, and at first they had yellow line going down, and then on the final try, I notice all the vertical line were a solid light blue color. Did anyone notice that, I think that was kinda like proof the connection was good.

Old 05-31-12, 10:48 AM
CCJ22
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by leeteezy
I got pretty deep with my etch, chipped the screen and everything I also got readings from all four traces but still gives problems with the response
It's your internals IMO. Time to get a new screen. Steph had to.
Old 06-01-12, 01:30 AM
leeteezy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CCJ22
It's your internals IMO. Time to get a new screen. Steph had to.
Thanks that's what I ended up doing luckily I paid only 320 for a new screen. Better than the 6k lol
Old 06-25-12, 01:37 PM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

NAV stopped working as of yesterday.

Guess I have a weekend project on tap now.
Old 06-25-12, 09:14 PM
istarzan
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by HKS350
NAV stopped working as of yesterday.

Guess I have a weekend project on tap now.
Welcome to the club lol.
Old 06-25-12, 10:10 PM
CCJ22
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I keep my eye on this thread. IF you two have questions post em up as you're doing the project. I'll try my best to reply in a timely manner.
Keep in mind your AC WILL still work even with the nav unit out. Whatever temp and settings you had on the ac prior to removing the nav panel they will remain the same. So if you need to drive around while waiting you can.
Old 06-30-12, 08:31 PM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

anyone around NJ knows how to do this? I can take the unit out but not really good with soldering or doing circuits. I don't have the problem yet but a friend of mines just stopped.
Old 07-01-12, 02:15 AM
untzklee
Driver School Candidate

Anyone around Socal LA that knows how to do this?! I can take the unit out but not really good with soldering or doing circuits as well. My screen went out today.. PLEASE HELP
Old 07-14-12, 02:53 PM
SpookJr
Rookie

CCJ22 you got a PM. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Frozen Navigation Screen Fix DIY