IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Frozen Navigation Screen Fix DIY

Old 05-21-13, 04:34 PM
TEXIS250
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nav Wiring Help - Non ML

That is what I was thinking fatjoez... So, I either have bad connections with the circuitwriter fix or the connector pictured below is not seated properly...
Attached Thumbnails Frozen Navigation Screen Fix DIY-img-20130405-00155.jpg  
Old 05-30-13, 01:14 PM
gettingais
Rookie

I think I need a replacement screen. How are the Japanese one's from ebay? Has anyone installed those? Are you getting a yellow tint or is the screen look like it did before?
Old 06-08-13, 03:39 PM
Emoney826
Driver School Candidate

My screen recently stopped working. The buttons on the side worked but nothing on the screen could be touched. My dad and I pulled it out and he used the circuit writer pen on all four traces. Then he accidentally cracked the screen when he for whatever reason placed an exacto knife between the pieces of glass. This broke two of the traces going around the screen. We hooked it back up, but now there's no image on the screen, the climate control button below turns the radio on and off but doesn't turn on the climate control. The temp control buttons no longer work either. Also, the lights for the nav buttons do not light up either. Any ideas why this is messed up now? If I buy a new touch screen, would that fix all of these malfunctions? I hooked everything back up. I even checked the plugs but they only plug into their size outlets.

Last edited by Emoney826; 06-08-13 at 06:00 PM.
Old 06-10-13, 07:31 AM
Hilary
Driver School Candidate

Default Made the fix but new issues now!

I fixed the screen, but now the Audio Button and Info Button don't work. I can't go to the Audio Screen or the info screen. Any suggestions?? If I can't fix it I will have to buy a new unit.
Old 06-10-13, 09:54 AM
greg0126
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Hilary
I fixed the screen, but now the Audio Button and Info Button don't work. I can't go to the Audio Screen or the info screen. Any suggestions?? If I can't fix it I will have to buy a new unit.
Check to make sure everything is plugged in.
Old 06-12-13, 08:19 AM
aira
Pole Position

I have an issue of my navigation screen not turning on. The touch screen works when it turns on, but it's rare that it would actually turn on. I can't use any of my climate controls when it's like that. The stereo still works though. Anyone have any idea what's going on?
Old 06-12-13, 01:04 PM
dkwi
Driver School Candidate

Great info. The take apart was really easy. Rather than take a chance repairing it aftr i took it apart, I bought a new screen for $270.00. Bought it from ebay. It was the identicle screen. It went in easy and the replacement worked perfect. Lexus corporate tried to help and got the dealer repair down to $2100.00...Too much.
Old 06-12-13, 01:13 PM
mikeIs25
Driver School Candidate

If any of you in the nj/ ny area i can repair your screen for you -- let me know just the touch screen no the actual screen ....
Old 06-16-13, 08:48 PM
IS300_white
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man, I thought I'd never have to do this fix. Ended up doing this fix today, on a damn Sunday. My nav screen stopped responding to touch on Wednesday. But can't be too upset since the fix only cost me $21 (price of circuit writer pen).

But the steps need to be streamlined. You don't need to remove the side brackets and the front components of the nav/radio unit. Once you have the unit out, just remove the front face of the unit to get to the ribbon cable on the nav screen. By not removing the front components, then you don't have to mess with the other ribbon cable connectors. And just like another member stated ...just fix all four traces. Cause its true ...if one trace broke, then the others will break too.

If you lay the unit on its back, the natural tilt on the nav screen provides an excellent angle to apply the "liquid circuit" trace. I put my unit on a pillow to protect the connectors on the back of the unit.

So now my nav screen in my IS350 responds to touch again.

Last edited by IS300_white; 06-16-13 at 09:02 PM.
The following users liked this post:
angelita01 (12-15-21)
Old 06-19-13, 10:40 PM
drftsoarer
Driver

Just tried this today and it didnt fix the issue. I had to etch the glass but still didnt work. Most likely going to order a new screen from Japan on eBay like others have.
Old 06-27-13, 10:51 AM
spaghetti1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by drftsoarer
Just tried this today and it didnt fix the issue. I had to etch the glass but still didnt work. Most likely going to order a new screen from Japan on eBay like others have.
You might consider just getting the digitizer touch screen vs. the entire screen. I did it after doing the fix 2 times only to have it fail over time in the Texas summer heat. The digitizer only option is pretty easy to install than attempting the repair/circuitwriter method, doesn't require the level of disassembly with the fragile ribbon cables and only cost $60 delivered and it's a brand new part without the problematic design. Works better than the original so far, I'm super happy with it. I just stuck in on top of the existing touchscreen with double stick tape on the edges and plugged it in, done. Check my other posts earlier in this string and posts by others for the guys email address. He also sells the entire screen on ebay but will sell the digitizer separately if you email him.
Old 07-04-13, 05:10 AM
aira
Pole Position

Those that bought the screens from eBay, are you guys getting the refurbished ones from China?
Old 07-08-13, 03:29 PM
spaghetti1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by aira
Those that bought the screens from eBay, are you guys getting the refurbished ones from China?
I just bought the touchscreen separately ($60 delivered) it was new. Works great. The company was in China.

Last edited by spaghetti1; 07-08-13 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Added country
Old 07-21-13, 07:56 PM
scoobydoo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by drftsoarer
I'm in the same boat. Tried the circuitwriter pen fix today but so far no luck getting a reading from the multimeter. Will give it one more try but then plan to get a new screen from ebay.

Prices on ebay seem to range widely -- I've seen reference here to $300 for the LCD screen plus digitizer, but some are now selling these (new) for $175. Can anyone recommend a particular seller that is reputable?
Old 07-22-13, 06:32 PM
cr3ativ3x
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If I take everything out and jus swap out the lcd screen that should work right??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Frozen Navigation Screen Fix DIY