IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Remote Starts for IS250

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-14, 11:55 AM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dgsx1997
I suspect you get in the car and put your foot on the brake peddle, correct? If so, yes, that's normal operation for the car to turn off. The normal process on most systems would be to enter the car, press the start button, than it should be on until turned off. This is a safety measure to protect against theft.
press the start button twice
That's how mine works

Originally Posted by funglenn
THIS IS NOT TRUE!!!! If installed right, that is not the case. I remote start, get in my car, tap the brake pedal and go. The car does NOT SHUTOFF, and I just drive off.

If the shop is good they can do it right with the correct DEI module. This comes up many times and installers and just lazy--hence why people think it is normal.

What protects against theft is this:

From the moment you unlock the car, you have 30 seconds to tap the brake pedal, during which time the car looks for the lexus FOB. If it finds it great, you just drive off, but if not then it dies.

I know this for a fact because if I am with my kids, i remote start and help them in the car. The car sense the key on the passenger side, then beeps as I walk around to the driver's side. (the same beep that you get when you start and exit the car with the key). Becuase the car has sensed the Lexus key and then sensed it disappear, my engine dies when i hit the gas.

HOWEVER, if I am alone, remote start it, get in it, I can just drive away--it does not die. This is again, because the car senses the key and just lets me leave.

I see you are in Colorado--Drive-in autosound in Colorado Springs can do it right! I bought a Viper from them and love it.
From what I see through researching it really depends on how the bypass module works, and each module would have different security features. If I remember correctly you have the PKALL, which is now replaced by the DBALL (from Xpresskist). They probably work the same way. I have the Idatalink BLADETB bypass module. But as you described the "beep", I get it too. For the first time I tried remote starting the car when I was right beside the car, and as soon as the engine started, the car began to beep because it couldn't detect the key inside the cabin.

Either way it's a security feature to prevent theft when key is not detected in the vehicle. In my (or OP's) situation, anyone tries to steal the car while it is remotely started will try to put it in gear, which requires braking. The engine will shut off hence prevent the car to be put in gear. Correct me if I'm wrong but for your description, the engine shuts off when you hit the gas, which requires the car to be put in gear already (D or R). Wouldn't this be worse if your car shuts off while you're still in D or R? At the end of the day, I don't see anything wrong with needing to press the start button once I get in the car in order to drive it. Like I said, it's definitely just a theft-prevention tactic for these specific modules, while other modules have theft-prevention ways as you've described.

Last edited by reyoasian; 02-07-14 at 12:07 PM.
Old 02-07-14, 12:31 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Those posts are pretty old. Yeah, I think all the bypasses have slightly different solution to the same problem of remote starting the car with advantages and disadvantages to both methods. But in either method, if installed correctly, should let you drive the car without it dying.

Originally Posted by MzBalch
I was just told, that you can't put Auto start in my car without pulling the dash board out? Is this really ture and is it $700.00 to do this? I feel like I am being lied to.. HUMMMMMMMM.
If that's the total cost, that's not a bad deal. I was quoted over $1000 ($1500?) to do it while the shop wants to charge me MSRP for everything (you can get everything for about $300 on Amazon). I ended up doing it myself, and the dashboard does not need to be out. I did remove the stereo from the dash to get easier access to the push button.