IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Remote Starts for IS250

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-11, 01:37 PM
LEXAUDI
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Remote Starts for IS250

I recently put a remote start in my IS250, had it professionally done and I was wondering if anyone else out there had put one. My question is, the way it is programmed (I push the remote to start, it stays running, but the second I get in the car it shuts off, then I manually press the start button to start the car again). Is this the normal process a security feature or is it the result of someone being lazy on the install and programming.
Old 11-27-11, 01:48 PM
dgsx1997
Driver School Candidate

I suspect you get in the car and put your foot on the brake peddle, correct? If so, yes, that's normal operation for the car to turn off. The normal process on most systems would be to enter the car, press the start button, than it should be on until turned off. This is a safety measure to protect against theft.
Old 11-27-11, 02:35 PM
jbjones85
Lexus Test Driver

I would give your installer a call and ask them as i've only had remote starts on non push button vehicles.
Old 11-27-11, 02:38 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,288 Posts

Every remote start conversion I've heard about (and there hasn't been many) on a Lexus with Smart Key works the way the OP described.

Lou
Old 11-27-11, 03:08 PM
Nelly
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Same way as my dad's 2010 RX350.
Old 11-27-11, 07:45 PM
vboi4life
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LEXAUDI
I recently put a remote start in my IS250, had it professionally done and I was wondering if anyone else out there had put one. My question is, the way it is programmed (I push the remote to start, it stays running, but the second I get in the car it shuts off, then I manually press the start button to start the car again). Is this the normal process a security feature or is it the result of someone being lazy on the install and programming.
Which part of city you got the install for your remote?i just move to albany newyork.how much the charge you and what kind of remote starter you have.i have 09 and i thought they can not install the starter.Thank if you can help.
Old 11-27-11, 08:13 PM
LEXAUDI
Rookie

I am on long Island and got it done through a dealer i know close by. It is possible but it requires an extra unit and shouldn't be done by anyone who hasn't messed with push button cars. The cost I would tell you wouldn't help as I pretty much just paid for parts.
Old 11-27-11, 08:14 PM
LEXAUDI
Rookie

And it's an automate by the way sorry I forgot to add that. Two fobs (one spare)
Old 11-28-11, 06:07 AM
funglenn
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dgsx1997
I suspect you get in the car and put your foot on the brake peddle, correct? If so, yes, that's normal operation for the car to turn off. The normal process on most systems would be to enter the car, press the start button, than it should be on until turned off. This is a safety measure to protect against theft.
THIS IS NOT TRUE!!!! If installed right, that is not the case. I remote start, get in my car, tap the brake pedal and go. The car does NOT SHUTOFF, and I just drive off.

If the shop is good they can do it right with the correct DEI module. This comes up many times and installers and just lazy--hence why people think it is normal.

What protects against theft is this:

From the moment you unlock the car, you have 30 seconds to tap the brake pedal, during which time the car looks for the lexus FOB. If it finds it great, you just drive off, but if not then it dies.

I know this for a fact because if I am with my kids, i remote start and help them in the car. The car sense the key on the passenger side, then beeps as I walk around to the driver's side. (the same beep that you get when you start and exit the car with the key). Becuase the car has sensed the Lexus key and then sensed it disappear, my engine dies when i hit the gas.

HOWEVER, if I am alone, remote start it, get in it, I can just drive away--it does not die. This is again, because the car senses the key and just lets me leave.

I see you are in Colorado--Drive-in autosound in Colorado Springs can do it right! I bought a Viper from them and love it.
Old 11-28-11, 09:55 AM
my1s250
Lead Lap

so is there a separate remote or does it uses the factory remote? and don't the newer ISx5r0 have factory remote start as a option from the dealer?
Old 11-28-11, 10:27 AM
stanjohn12
Lead Lap

Smile

Seriously whats the point of a remote starter if it shuts down your car once you get in. Feels more like an inconvenience. I think you better go with what funglenn has installed, that seems to be the right way a remote starter should work.

I wish if Lexus had this installed on our key fobs from factory , I'm so envious with my friends CTS , he's got a remote starter but I keep myself content thinking to myself , a Chevy Traverse too has a remote starter , but does that make it a premium vehicle ?
Old 11-28-11, 11:42 AM
funglenn
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by my1s250
so is there a separate remote or does it uses the factory remote? and don't the newer ISx5r0 have factory remote start as a option from the dealer?
it is not a factory remote, i have a viper remote that I use--thus i carry two. Some say it may be possible to use a factory remote, but why bother: 1.. you will not have the range of a 1 mile viper system, 2.)you will not have 2-way notification--did it really start?
Old 11-29-11, 09:09 AM
LEXAUDI
Rookie

yeah my second fob is very sleek so im not bothered by it at all. i understand the reasoning behind my car shutting off and its not that big of a deal to push start again. id rather have a warm car and push start than watch my car drive away with someone else behind the wheel. figured id throw it out there
Old 11-29-11, 12:09 PM
funglenn
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LEXAUDI
yeah my second fob is very sleek so im not bothered by it at all. i understand the reasoning behind my car shutting off and its not that big of a deal to push start again. id rather have a warm car and push start than watch my car drive away with someone else behind the wheel. figured id throw it out there
I would be annoyed at the fact it was not done the best way--for resale someone else might see that it was not done properly--the right way still has the car dying if the key is not detected once the driver gets in--but of greater note, you are literally using your starter twice for everytime you want to start the car--if you use the remote start alot, then you going to wear it and other parts out quicker.....

my two cents
Old 02-07-14, 10:00 AM
MzBalch
Driver School Candidate

Default Auto Start

I was just told, that you can't put Auto start in my car without pulling the dash board out? Is this really ture and is it $700.00 to do this? I feel like I am being lied to.. HUMMMMMMMM.

Quick Reply: Remote Starts for IS250