GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Cooling System Issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-18, 02:24 PM
dexlex62
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cooling System Issues

Hello Community,

I have an issue and was looking for some feedback or solutions. I have a 2007 GS350 with 157,000 miles. Back in November my water pump failed. I replaced the pump, radiator cap and serpentine belt but not the thermostat or any of the hoses because they all looked fine (hoses are original and were free of cracks and not stiff). Everything ran fine for three months. About a week or so ago my lower radiator hose slipped off from the lower portion of the radiator. I thought that maybe the thermostat malfunctioned and caused the pressure to built in the system causing the problem. I drove for a few days and rechecked my connections and noticed that the same hose was starting to slip again. I was wondering if anyone else has ever had this issue or have any thoughts on what would cause this to happen. Thanking you all in advance.
Old 02-26-18, 05:51 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 120 Likes on 90 Posts

Are you using the OEM pinch clamp or a hose clamp?

The pinch clamp is best because it provides a constant tension, I never found hose clamps to work without leaking.
Old 02-26-18, 06:56 PM
dexlex62
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by speedkar9
Are you using the OEM pinch clamp or a hose clamp?

The pinch clamp is best because it provides a constant tension, I never found hose clamps to work without leaking.
Yes, they are the original clamps that came with the vehicle. Thanks for responding.
Old 02-26-18, 09:46 PM
gs350fan
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by dexlex62

Yes, they are the original clamps that came with the vehicle. Thanks for responding.
Did you remove the clamp when you changed the WP? I know Ford says to discard those and replace. They are usually ok,,,,but sometimes not.
Old 02-26-18, 10:23 PM
dexlex62
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gs350fan
Did you remove the clamp when you changed the WP? I know Ford says to discard those and replace. They are usually ok,,,,but sometimes not.
No I did not replace them or the hoses (I did order new hoses this evening arriving on Monday) I would think the clamps should still be good, maybe I will just swap it with another one of the four and see if it holds. Any thoughts?
Old 02-27-18, 07:03 AM
gs350fan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dexlex62

No I did not replace them or the hoses (I did order new hoses this evening arriving on Monday) I would think the clamps should still be good, maybe I will just swap it with another one of the four and see if it holds. Any thoughts?
I would never use that clamp again. If the pressure is high for some reason, the cap should open at 15PSI, maybe look there? If it is a spring it is obviously not holding. If the thermostat malfunctioned to take a hose off your engine would be toast before hand. Maybe a headgasket with combustion gasses entering the cooling system MAY do it, but still unlikely. I think the radiator or heater core would be destroyed first.

I had great luck with worm hose clamps, have them on many cars, but there are special clamps for radiator hoses. You may sometimes have to tighten them after a few cycles, but I never had leaks in decades from them. Even if there is a tiny leak, there is zero chance losing all your coolant.

The factory clamps are springs and can certainly wear out. Like I said, Ford suggests replacing them, 99/100 they are ok, but after 170K miles...the chance for failure goes up. Maybe Lexus has replacements? Those clamps are precisely engineered to the diameter of the hose and fitting, I've seen new hoses that are too big for the original ones. I know they have to be put back in the groove they came out of if you reuse the hose.

Just my 2c
The following users liked this post:
dexlex62 (02-27-18)
Old 02-27-18, 07:07 AM
XxGoKoUxX
Forum Moderator

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

Being that the hose clamp is running through a lot of heat and runtime (you said 150k mi to be exact), I would go to your local dealer and buy replacement clamps.

I'm not sure between the air intake hose clamps and the radiator hose clamps, I assume they both run the same type of materials, and I can tell you, after removing and placing the clamps on and off the intake piping, they've definitely grown loose (and I've since replaced them with T-Clamp hose clamps).

Link for reference: https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/it...RoCdIwQAvD_BwE

Maybe you can try these clamps? I've used them on my turbo vehicle before, running 30 psi with absolutely no issues (your radiator cap should release pressures well before 30psi). When I used the cheap hose clamps, they used to POP off under load constantly, eventually cutting the rubber hoses I used so I had to replace the hoses.

FWIW: If you go the same route I used, don't OVERTIGHTEN, my friend and I were doing the thermostat (which I find is really cheap, so you should replace yours either way), he did the easy work by retightening the hoses while I did the thermostat and he overtightened it and cracked the radiator inlet. Also there should be notches past the tip of the radiator, make sure you tighten the hose after that notch.

Here's a photo for reference (notch/ring):

GL! Hope this helped
dexlex62 (02-27-18)
Old 02-27-18, 07:35 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^ Great post! I highly suggest getting those clamps over the OEM from the dealer. You will likely pay less and end up with a better, IMO, hose clamp.

I would almost just replace the lower hose at this time, just to be safe and rule it out, and make sure you bleed the system of any air pockets again.
dexlex62 (02-27-18)
Old 02-27-18, 09:15 AM
dexlex62
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gs350fan
I would never use that clamp again. If the pressure is high for some reason, the cap should open at 15PSI, maybe look there? If it is a spring it is obviously not holding. If the thermostat malfunctioned to take a hose off your engine would be toast before hand. Maybe a headgasket with combustion gasses entering the cooling system MAY do it, but still unlikely. I think the radiator or heater core would be destroyed first.

I had great luck with worm hose clamps, have them on many cars, but there are special clamps for radiator hoses. You may sometimes have to tighten them after a few cycles, but I never had leaks in decades from them. Even if there is a tiny leak, there is zero chance losing all your coolant.

The factory clamps are springs and can certainly wear out. Like I said, Ford suggests replacing them, 99/100 they are ok, but after 170K miles...the chance for failure goes up. Maybe Lexus has replacements? Those clamps are precisely engineered to the diameter of the hose and fitting, I've seen new hoses that are too big for the original ones. I know they have to be put back in the groove they came out of if you reuse the hose.

Just my 2c
Just returned from the dealer, ordered new clamps they will be in tomorrow. Hopefully this will fix the issue. Thanks again

Old 02-27-18, 09:21 AM
dexlex62
Driver School Candidate

[QUOTE=XxGoKoUxX;10126240]Being that the hose clamp is running through a lot of heat and runtime (you said 150k mi to be exact), I would go to your local dealer and buy replacement clamps.

I'm not sure between the air intake hose clamps and the radiator hose clamps, I assume they both run the same type of materials, and I can tell you, after removing and placing the clamps on and off the intake piping, they've definitely grown loose (and I've since replaced them with T-Clamp hose clamps).

Link for reference: https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?sku=31356&gclid=CjwKCAiAoNTUBRBUEiwAWje2lij146KV1pH_RPaeerz7ZzlPUK-Ierig7CQmAGbVqeFm0nouAP6g6RoCdIwQAvD_BwE

Maybe you can try these clamps? I've used them on my turbo vehicle before, running 30 psi with absolutely no issues (your radiator cap should release pressures well before 30psi). When I used the cheap hose clamps, they used to POP off under load constantly, eventually cutting the rubber hoses I used so I had to replace the hoses.

XxGoKoUxX Thanks for the suggestions and advice wish i saw your post sooner I already ordered OEM clamps from Toyota this morning arriving tomorrow.
Old 02-27-18, 12:06 PM
gs350fan
Intermediate

[QUOTE=dexlex62;10126414]
Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX
Being that the hose clamp is running through a lot of heat and runtime (you said 150k mi to be exact), I would go to your local dealer and buy replacement clamps.

XxGoKoUxX Thanks for the suggestions and advice wish i saw your post sooner I already ordered OEM clamps from Toyota this morning arriving tomorrow.
That is definitely the best choice. The worm clamps do take experience to know when you are going to far. You tighten them until the metal just goes flush with the rubber. Take it for a drive, check for leaks, add a turn or two.Too loose it leaks, too much it risks cracking the fitting (some makes may be thicker than others, but I read our radiators can even be destroyed by pulling a hose off . Any shop is going to put a worm clamp on it and call it a day.

Those clamps XxGoKoUxX posted are very good, because they exert uniform pressure unlike a worm clamp. You could still overtighten them.
Old 02-28-18, 09:25 AM
XxGoKoUxX
Forum Moderator

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

[QUOTE=dexlex62;10126414]
Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX

There is nothing wrong with what you did. Honestly, if you went my route you'd have to be careful not to over tighten... at least using the OEM hose clamps, it'll be a sure fire thing