RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

04 RX330 lower radiator hose leak?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-17, 06:57 PM
AWDO1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 RX330 lower radiator hose leak?

I just replaced the radiator in my son's 2004 RX 330 JPP (Japan made). It has 133K miles and it was starting to get the pink crud in several places. went the rock auto route and installed the Denso. I changed the timing belt/water pump, upper hose, T-stat at 98K after the water pump let go, I think that was in 2013. I always looked at the lower radiator hose clamp (generic screw type band clamp) and made mental note to replace with dealer spring clamp if I ever changed the radiator or lower hose. So after installing the new Denso radiator and lower hose using factory clamps, I now have a leak where the lower hose connects to the radiator. what I noticed is the lower radiator neck is oval in shape and that end of radiator hose is larger in size than the engine side hose end. hence the two factory clamps that I ordered from lexuspartsnow were two different diameters, the upper clamp is smaller (T-stat tube side), the lower clamp (radiator side) is larger. Now, I am only talking about the lower radiator hose here. The upper radiator hose has been replaced as previously stated. Now, I didn't pay too much attention to the oval shape of lower radiator neck, or different size diameter of hose ends, just wet the inside of the hose on both ends and pushed it on far as I could. released the grenade style factory clamps and started filling. When he drives the car, seems as though no leak, but when the car idles for 5 mins or so, with warmed up engine, I am getting a pretty good drip out the the lower radiator hose connection. I think this has to do with when idling, no airflow = slightly higher temp and maybe yields a bit more pressure in the coolant system, which is just enough to push coolant out of the lower hose connection. When car is cold, no leak after running for 5-7 minutes. The leak starts to show when car is at operating temp (2 marks on temp gauge). Has anyone ever seen the oval radiator outlet on the lower part of radiator? I think the original radiator had the same oval shaped neck that is why the previous owner had used a band clamp in that location instead of the round spring type factory clamp. I am now going to either remove the factory clamp and replace with screw type band clamp or leave factory clamp (maybe move over a bit) intact and install second clamp (screw type band clamp) next to factory round clamp. I have done a lot of radiator replacements in my time, especially years ago, when I was a mechanic at an import shop during college days. But, do not recall ever seeing an oval radiator neck? Just curious if anyone has seen this, before I go replacing or adding second clamp?
Old 10-02-17, 03:44 PM
edwardh11
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

is the lower outlet normally oval?
Old 10-02-17, 06:14 PM
AWDO1
Driver School Candidate

That is what I am not sure about. I did look up some oval hose clamps today, but just on non Lexus parts sites. I am somewhat angry that Lexus would sell these clamps on their dealer sites such as south Atlanta lexus and other OEM parts sites, and when installed, they leak badly. They call it spring tension clamp and it seems to only work with the correct size OEM hose, which I am using. Hoping that someone chimes in here on CL that knows for certain. Wednesday I am going to try and put a SS band clamp next to the factory clamp to see if it stops the leak. Thanks for replying.
Old 10-03-17, 01:25 PM
AWDO1
Driver School Candidate

Update. My son took the car to Team Toyota, while I was at work, since we knew one of their techs is Lexus Master Certified and came from a Lexus dealership. He knew immediately that is was the wrong clamp. The clamp that i purchased is black in color, from Lexuspartnow.com. Same parts number from south atlanta lexus, and identical parts from both microfiche. I dont get it? He said the correct clamp should be silver and has seens dozens of them on 2nd Gen Lexus RX330's. He moved factory spring clamp over and installed second band clamp next to it to stop the leak for us at no charge. We had used the guy before for trans flush so he knew us. He struggled for a few to install new clamp after he took the battery out. He was training a newbie and metioned that the RX330 cars are good and they last, but are hard to work on. Thanks, this site has been invaluable. If you ever have to change the radiator, and you live in a rust belt climate, plan of removing the A/C condensor with the radiator as well. They are both fastened together with 4 corner brakcets and bracket screws rust and twist apart. I destroyed the brackets and had to get 4 new ones ($10 each) Even after several application of deep creep over a 2 week period! FWIW