GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Tesla Syle Headunit

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-18, 08:07 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts
Default Tesla Syle Headunit

Rather than have people dig through the current thread, I figured I'd start a new one. Product arrived, opened it up, monitor itself feels very good with the exception of the hazards button.

I asked for a rearview camera which they didn't charge me for, and it is one of the ones that goes where the license plate light goes, although it doesn't seem like its sealed well, so I may install the other one I have.

Finally, install looks relatively straight forward, but there are a few wires capped off. Are these meant to be capped off, or do they go to one another? The wires are as following
(1) Is a yellow wire for the rearview camera, so I get that.
(2) Is a black wire for a ground so i can assume ill just find a metal thing to ground that to.
(3) ACC, from the additional harness, and one from the unit, both red. I assume those go to one another?
(4) One harness has an orange wire that says "back", and an orange wire out of the unit that says "reverse", o I'm not sure whats going on there.
(5) A pink wire coming out of the unit that says "Illlumi" so not quite sure what to do with that
(6) Finally, a purple and white wire from a harness with just Chinese on them.

Attached are a few pictures of the front, back, and wiring harnesses for those interested Any inout would be great on the wiring.

Also, its going into a 2006 GS300 with no ML, no rearview camera, no parking sensors, and no factory nav. Again i haven't installed it yet, but figured I'd go into more detail for those who may be considering it.
Attached Thumbnails Tesla Syle Headunit-tesla-1.jpg   Tesla Syle Headunit-tesla-3.jpg   Tesla Syle Headunit-tesla-4.jpg   Tesla Syle Headunit-tesla-2.jpg  
Old 01-31-18, 09:05 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

So watching videos on youtube, it seems like people leave those wires alone.
Old 01-31-18, 03:12 PM
tghw
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts

Did it not come with very specific instructions as to how to connect the wiring to your factory wire harness, including which color wires to connect where?
Old 01-31-18, 03:14 PM
verly6565
Advanced

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts

how much did you pay
The following users liked this post:
BeachBum7 (10-26-19)
Old 01-31-18, 05:32 PM
MX73
Racer

Received 292 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by tghw
Did it not come with very specific instructions as to how to connect the wiring to your factory wire harness, including which color wires to connect where?
It looks like the unit comes with vehicle specific harness. Should be plug and plug. I would hate to hack into the stock harness.
Old 01-31-18, 10:43 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

That is correct, you only use the other wires if you are adding rear view camera or something of the like, still haven’t done it. So far I’m extremely glad I got it, for those of you without nav I highly suggest it’d and for those looking for an updated info tainment system, I think you’d like it to.

As others have said, he boot up time takes a little longer than I would like, but you can set a reboot time so if let’s say you are just going into the store quickly, you can set a reboot delay for an hour so you don’t have to wait. I’m still looking at all the settings and everything but so far so good
BeachBum7 (10-26-19)
Old 02-01-18, 02:23 AM
YorkField
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 02SDGS
That is correct, you only use the other wires if you are adding rear view camera or something of the like, still haven’t done it. So far I’m extremely glad I got it, for those of you without nav I highly suggest it’d and for those looking for an updated info tainment system, I think you’d like it to.

As others have said, he boot up time takes a little longer than I would like, but you can set a reboot time so if let’s say you are just going into the store quickly, you can set a reboot delay for an hour so you don’t have to wait. I’m still looking at all the settings and everything but so far so good
Would you mind shooting a little video review of performance/aircon/trip info and etc.?
Thank you!
BeachBum7 (10-26-19)
Old 02-01-18, 11:12 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Well unfortunately I can’t get the rear view camera to work. It seems like the unit isn’t recognizing the car is in reverse. I also tried the front camera to work so I’m wondering if it’s the harness as I have tried two different cameras
Old 02-01-18, 11:27 AM
aristo1987
Pole Position

Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts

Nope it works. I will explain later when I have s chance. Harness is all good.

Well unfortunately I can’t get the rear view camera to work. It seems like the unit isn’t recognizing the car is in reverse. I also tried the front camera to work so I’m wondering if it’s the harness as I have tried two different cameras
Old 02-01-18, 11:50 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by aristo1987
Nope it works. I will explain later when I have s chance. Harness is all good.
sounds good, I did what you told me and the seller as well so I was thinking t may be a problem specific to my unit possibly
Old 02-01-18, 04:57 PM
aristo1987
Pole Position

Ok go to the car settings and there should be a option for reverse camera. Make sure you set it to on. I think close equal open and open equal close sounds weird but thats what it is. If don't work, try it vise versa.

sounds good, I did what you told me and the seller as well so I was thinking t may be a problem specific to my unit possibly
Old 02-01-18, 05:15 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Sounds good. Ill take a look at it, if I remember correctly i didn't see anything for reverse camera except an option for lines, but I'll look again
Old 02-01-18, 05:33 PM
aristo1987
Pole Position

Its definitely there in the extra settings. Pw-123456

Sounds good. Ill take a look at it, if I remember correctly i didn't see anything for reverse camera except an option for lines, but I'll look again
Old 02-01-18, 09:31 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Well it’s definitely there, but as “reverse mirror” . It was set to close, and the "disable rearview mirror" was also set to close, and after some work, the car now shows "no signal" when put into reverse, so i might be making a stupid mistake somewhere and I'll chalk it up to lack of sleep. I'm thinking maybe because the car was on without the engine running, the battery was getting low preventing the camera from getting enough power to trigger on?

Anyways as of now I have
1. end of the RCA cable attached to the unit harness (cam-in) and the red wire from RCA cable to the orange wire from the harness (reverse).
2. I have the other end of the RCA cable attached to the camera, and the red wire off this end to the rear tail light
3. Finally, I have the backup camera hooked up to the yellow RCA and the power cord which has a red wire (not connected to anything) and a black wire which i grounded to the nut that keeps the inner tail light attached to the car, also think this may be an issue as the trunk suface is painted, even though the nut us not.

It's driving me nuts I can't figure this out as its so simple, yet I'm ****ing it up

Last edited by RXGS; 02-01-18 at 11:40 PM.
Old 02-02-18, 02:02 AM
YorkField
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey 02SDGS,
Your connection needs to be as follows:
Head unit side of the car:
1) Reverse wire on head unit: connect it to camera positive wire (usually it's a red wire sticking out right next to yellow RCA connector). It will tell the head unit when the car is in reverse (when wire has +12V on it) so that it can enable the camera view
2) Yellow (Signal) RCA connector from camera: connect to head unit camera in (if it has an RCA saying something like "reverse in", you need to connect to that
Rear side of the car:
1) Camera positive wire connected to reverse light bulb positive. This will allow for camera to get +12V whenever the car is in reverse, also sending +12V to the wire number (1) on head unit side of things
2) Camera ground: connected to a metal part of the car or reverse bulb negative

To test the whole system, you can put car in ACC position without starting the engine and put gearbox in sports mode reverse
If the camera has LED's on it, you're in luck- you should see LED's light up as soon as you select reverse (just walk out of the car when the reverse is engaged, parking brake engaged and engine is not running + key in ACC mode). If your camera has LED's but they don't light up in this scenario, your camera is not getting power. I would suggest using multimeter to find if you're getting +12V on camera positive power wire and ground point. This would also work to see if camera's working if your camera came with no LED's.

If you confirmed camera is getting proper power, you should go back to the head unit and check reverse wire and any ground point for having +12V whenever the car is in reverse. If you didn't get power to camera, there's no sense in this step- resolve previous issue first. Also, please note how a head unit harness coming OUT of head unit might have a reverse wire, as well as CAN BUS box might have a reverse wire. If it does, just connect the CAN BUS box reverse wire with head unit reverse wire.

If everything is done right, you should be seeing camera image whenever the car is in reverse

Quick Reply: Tesla Syle Headunit