GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Tesla Syle Headunit

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-18, 02:23 AM
aristo1987
Pole Position

Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts

Well there you have it. You didn't connect the other red wire to the reverse light. The red wire that is attached to the power plug..

Originally Posted by 02SDGS
Well it’s definitely there, but as “reverse mirror” . It was set to close, and the "disable rearview mirror" was also set to close, and after some work, the car now shows "no signal" when put into reverse, so i might be making a stupid mistake somewhere and I'll chalk it up to lack of sleep. I'm thinking maybe because the car was on without the engine running, the battery was getting low preventing the camera from getting enough power to trigger on?

Anyways as of now I have
1. end of the RCA cable attached to the unit harness (cam-in) and the red wire from RCA cable to the orange wire from the harness (reverse).
2. I have the other end of the RCA cable attached to the camera, and the red wire off this end to the rear tail light
3. Finally, I have the backup camera hooked up to the yellow RCA and the power cord which has a red wire (not connected to anything) and a black wire which i grounded to the nut that keeps the inner tail light attached to the car, also think this may be an issue as the trunk suface is painted, even though the nut us not.

It's driving me nuts I can't figure this out as its so simple, yet I'm ****ing it up
Old 02-02-18, 04:47 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Something stupid, I knew if. So BoTh the red power wire from the RCA wire and the red power wire for the camera roll connect to the reverse light.
Old 02-02-18, 05:52 AM
Propulsion
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Hoping for a full in-depth review of this unit once you work out the hiccups.
That other thread failed to answer all of the questions GS owners had about the unit. Several pages in that thread and the unit still feels like a big mystery to most people.
The following users liked this post:
BeachBum7 (10-26-19)
Old 02-02-18, 06:11 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Well to be honest there isn’t much to be said surprisingly. I can only think of a few things that are different or I’m not keen on
1. No temperature for what you set the inside temp to be, just says hi or low, these being a range from 85-65. Also the outside temp is in Celsius.
2. Sometimes gets stuck in landscape mode if I do iPhone mirroring
3. Yes the logo screen takes a while to load up, but camera comes on instantly
4. Fit around the unit isn’t perfect, but it’s negligible.
5. At night the two buttons on the bottom don’t light up

That being said, may just be in my head but Audio sounds better, allows for something ridiculous like 30 presets.
The Bluetooth connection is instant, and sound is good so long as the mic is mounted correctly
Screen response and resolution seems excellent, at least to me
The metal trim trim and metal buttons feel great (exception being the hazards button)
Can Waze or google maps without internet connect in the sense that the map shows up, not sure if they still give directions
Factory steering wheel buttons still work
Instalation is surprisingly simple, which sounds stupid to say given the camera situation, but that’s my own fault.

These were a few questions I had before I bought it, so hopefully the answers others. I haven’t really gotten to far into using it, but once I get the camera done I will have no regrets, and to be honest even if the camera didn’t I’d still be happy with it as it’s a huge upgrade from what was in there originally, especially since my car originally had neither nav or a camera. I should say though that for me, the 1gig? Or whatever the measurement is, of space is fine but if you have a lot of apps you want to install I highly suggest the one with more space

Also, the ad says 4, but it says, at least on the screen it’s running Android 6. I’m not a tech person so I don’t know how to tell if this is true or not, or even what the differences are, but I saw people bringing it up in the other thread
Attached Thumbnails Tesla Syle Headunit-6e5f7359-da90-409e-a92d-5bedf0768984.jpeg   Tesla Syle Headunit-eb189a60-4cb4-413e-a83e-c82028d897bf.jpeg   Tesla Syle Headunit-efe9b326-6dbf-4756-8c07-b5cbedbd0c2d.jpeg  
The following users liked this post:
YorkField (02-02-18)
Old 02-02-18, 07:52 AM
Propulsion
Advanced

Thanks for the photos and quick detailed response. I’ll keep this unit on my radar. Hopefully we’ll get a HD video review from a GS owner soon. I’d like to see screen response times before deciding on this unit.

Sorry if you’ve already stated, but how much $$ was the Lexus GS unit? And how long did it take from point of sale to delivery?
Old 02-02-18, 07:59 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Prices range from $750 to $680 depending on the coupon code, although I paid significantly less by contacting seller. Also I guess arrival time varies, but I ordered around the 19th of last month and got it 2-3 days ago.
Old 02-02-18, 10:09 AM
aristo1987
Pole Position

Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts

Unfortunately, some people are real busy in lifie. I have a family and i work crazy hrs. I cant always answer questions and post up details about this unit.

like op stated, i pretty much agree on what he said besides afew things. Why I said this bc i know, the head unit fits perfectly around. If it doesn't it means you have set the mounting bracket off. You will also have to adjust ot carefully when putting it in.

the outside temp in Celsius isn't a big deal to me snd the ac temp is fine with lo and hi. With that all being said. Everthing does work.

In my opinion out of all the upgraded parts ive bought for my gs, this have to be the best upgrade i bought for my gs.

Last edited by aristo1987; 02-02-18 at 03:49 PM.
Old 02-02-18, 04:24 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Alright, got the camera to work. Had to go into settings as the reverse mirror/camera was set incorrectly, then the second time I had the wiring wrong. Don't do things rushing or while tired ha.

Included are the last pics ill take, anything else would be redundant. Like aristo said, despite being several hundred dollars, I have no regrets purchasing. Really adds something special that my car was lacking, especially because it was a non-nav/camera car to begin with.

If anyone has any questions, message me and I'll try to answer, but I cant find anything wrong with the unit yet.
Attached Thumbnails Tesla Syle Headunit-tesla-1.2.jpg   Tesla Syle Headunit-tesla1.3.jpg   Tesla Syle Headunit-tesla-1.4.jpg  
The following 6 users liked this post by RXGS:
3BADI (02-03-18), Boomin (07-25-19), MartinLoga (02-11-18), PC94 (02-15-18), Propulsion (02-11-18), YorkField (02-02-18) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-02-18, 04:30 PM
MX73
Racer

Received 288 Likes on 223 Posts

I wish it came in the brown color for the cashmere interior.
Old 02-03-18, 05:08 AM
3BADI
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found the screen in aliexpress website i plan to buy it for my GS430 today

and i have some question

my car come with OEM camera and front and back parking sensor is the screen support this things
any problem with the airbag light

Last edited by 3BADI; 02-03-18 at 05:57 AM.
Old 02-03-18, 10:10 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

No airbag light issue, need to add new rear view camera, don’t know about the sensorz
Old 02-09-18, 03:47 AM
dmcclend
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all, I just purchased this unit and I am absolutely thrilled with it. Great upgrade. My wife and I installed the unit yesterday. It wasn’t difficult at all. Any questions I can answer please let me know.
Old 02-09-18, 02:54 PM
verly6565
Advanced

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts

did you add a backup camera
Old 02-09-18, 03:00 PM
dmcclend
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by verly6565
did you add a backup camera
Not yet, I just purchased that someone from the thread suggested. If it comes tomorrow I’ll put iit in.
Old 02-11-18, 09:38 AM
Propulsion
Advanced

Originally Posted by dmcclend

Not yet, I just purchased that someone from the thread suggested. If it comes tomorrow I’ll put iit in.
Great news! Please keep us updated on the install and progress with videos or photos. Also, your general observations of the unit. Boot times, screen responsiveness and anything you can provide. Thanks

Quick Reply: Tesla Syle Headunit