Changing Transmission Fluid ***DIY w/ pics*** - Page 13 - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

Go Back  ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion > Lexus Model Forums > GS Models > GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011)
Changing Transmission Fluid ***DIY w/ pics*** >

Changing Transmission Fluid ***DIY w/ pics***

Notices
GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Changing Transmission Fluid ***DIY w/ pics***

Old 07-08-18, 11:07 AM
gr8fulRed
Pole Position

just completed this DIY along with the trans filter/strainer screen DIY provided by Alchemist. This was my second time to do the 4 drain and fills and level fluid check procedure and I used a tip from one of the posters in this thread regarding the "fill" process. I attached a long, skinny funnel to a 3 ft piece of clear hose (about 3/8in inner diameter) and fished the clear hose down to the fill hole in the top side of the trans. Basically the funnel was just off center to the drivers side at the back of the motor against the motor cover. Put the end of the hose into the fill hole (about 1.5 inches into the hole) and then just pour the ATF WS fluid straight down the funnel into the trans. It sure was a helluva lot easier than lying on my back hand pumping 13 qts of fluid!! That was a MUCH easier approach, compared to the first time I did this. I also replaced the filter/screen, pan gasket, o-ring and plug gasket during the last (4th)drain cycle. Just followed Alchemist's DIY on this and it went as expected. I didn't use the Permatex gasket maker but otherwise....just like his process. I was prepared for the potential mess and experience some minor spillage (when I took the filter off), but all in all, not too bad. Sure would be easier if I had a lift....as putting the pan and gasket back on while on your back with limited room was a bit of a pain....but I got it done. Like Alchemists....my screen was in good shape (but I had already changed out old fluid at 75k, so I expected it to be) and my pan DID have the 3 magnets which did have a small amount of metallic mush on them. Glad to have this behind me for another 150k miles (at least the pan/filter). Thanks again to Alchemist for his great tutorials.

One thing of note...I had to do the level fluid check procedure twice, as the first time I didn't do the shifter sequence correctly so the D light never illuminated. So, I let the car cool off for 2.5 hours and tried again. The second time once I completed the shifter sequence, the "D" light was on (almost immediately) but it was flashing...not constant. My engine temp gauge quickly got to half of normal operating temp (must've been warm from earlier 10 min idle). So, I'm not sure if it's okay that the D light was flashing or if it was supposed to stay lit, but either way....I jumped underneath and removed fluid level plug and about 1/2 qt flowed out before it began to trickle/bubble out when I closed it up. My last drain, including the pan (which held about 1 qt after the drain through the plug) came to 3.5 qts. So i added back 4 before doing the level check procedure. So, when 1/2qt came back out....I feel like I should be okay. Have put about 10 miles on it since the change and it shifts smooth as butter....so I hoping I'm good. The flashing D light is my only concern. Anyone have a thought on that?

Last edited by gr8fulRed; 07-08-18 at 11:11 AM.
Old 07-31-18, 02:13 PM
Chuck1947
Driver School Candidate

Default Tranny and front and rear diffy washers

I normally use copper washers for the drain and fill plugs instead of crush washers.

Any problem with this?
Old 09-13-18, 01:29 PM
meera1974
Rookie

Default A76 ie ws oil

Needed some help here with changing my 06 Lexus GS430 transmission oil.
I will be using the A76ie ws AMSOIL oil which I think is the correct oil as WS stands for world stand I may assume...is this oil good given the fact that my transmission has 96 k miles and is not giving no problem.
I bought this car new so I know that the oil has never been changed,for peace of mind I would like to...any suggestions.my car is in very good condition and is planning to keep it a few more years.

Old 09-13-18, 02:59 PM
noblesenga
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by meera1974 View Post
Needed some help here with changing my 06 Lexus GS430 transmission oil.
I will be using the A76ie ws AMSOIL oil which I think is the correct oil as WS stands for world stand I may assume...is this oil good given the fact that my transmission has 96 k miles and is not giving no problem.
I bought this car new so I know that the oil has never been changed,for peace of mind I would like to...any suggestions.my car is in very good condition and is planning to keep it a few more years.

just use genuine toyota fluid. Why even bother with other fluids? Do a drain and fill, you should be fine.
Old 09-13-18, 09:10 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Champion

Ive heard a lot of good things about the amsoil in the transmission, especially on youtube. I say go for it!
Old 10-03-18, 06:22 PM
holydriver
Driver School Candidate

Thanks to all who have contributed to this - especially Alchemist.

I did a drain/fill this evening.

5$ - 24mm 1/2in socket from Lowes
7.99$ - Fluid transfer pump from Harbor Freight
7.99 x 4 QT Toyota WS ~ 34$

For less than 50$ I was on my way to changing out ATF fluid that had 120k miles on it. It smelled very burnt when drained.

My 350 has the fsport lowering springs so it is a royal pain in the *** to get underneath - even with my DIY ramps.

To anyone wondering if they can do this themselves - I say do it. As long as you cool the car down and can measure out what drains it is worth doing. Took it for a spin and didn't notice anything right away but I'm hoping that the surging out of first will ease as well as the shuddering upon downshifts.

Will do my next drain/fill on oil change and update. Good luck to all. Independent Toyota shop quoted me at 120$ labor to do this for me. I was able to do it in <3 hours and for 50$.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Changing Transmission Fluid ***DIY w/ pics***

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: