GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Changing Transmission Fluid ***DIY w/ pics***

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-16, 01:24 PM
Sodium
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by speedkar9
Need a quick clarification here,
How do you change all 12 quarts of tranny fluid at once, in 3 liter successions?
If you pump new fluid in after draining it, wouldn't it go straight into the pan and you'd just be draining the new fluid out the second and third time? Or do you drive the car to let it mix in between drain cycles?

The latter sounds more logical, though the mixing of the fluids dilute how much actual clean fluid gets in to replace the old.

Me too
Yep, you should drive it around a bit between drain/fills to let the old and new fluid mix. And yes you will be taking out some
new fluid with every drain/fill following the first, but doing four will get you to around 70% new fluid. Only way to get all the old fluid out is to do a flush.

If you want to do everything at once, that's described earlier in this thread I believe. If I remember correctly, burny ran his car for a minute or so between drain/fills, putting his car in S and shifting from 1st to 6th and back to 1st to get the fluid mixed – if you go this route, be sure to let the exhaust cool off for a few mins before getting under the car
Old 10-16-16, 01:34 PM
Sodium
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lukas99GS
Is it the same for the 8 speed on the 460? The shop I brought it to told me there's no way to drain and fill my transmission and that I'd have to flush it.
It's probably not much different for the 460 – Lexus would probably want to keep as many parts as possible in common with the 6 speed to keep costs down. As long as the drain, fill and level check bolts all are the same, this procedure should work fine with your car. If you want to be sure, there may be a DIY on the 4LS forum, which has the same 8 speed as your car.
Old 10-16-16, 05:29 PM
pbxcomm
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Due to the level or vent hole is at the top of the transmission, I would think we should fill the trans from the bottom (with an adapter) until the trans fluid trickes out from the top hole.
This is how we fill lower units, because it removes all the air that can get trapped filling from the top. Also, filling from the bottom fills all the small passages and again forces all the air out of the top hole. As we are, you need to be quick changing from pump to plug, but if you fill from the bottom after it trickes out the top and your sure you have all the air and air bubbles out, put the top plug in that will limit the amount of fluid that escapes when changing from pump adapter to bottom plug. I'm certain you will see air bubbles in the fluid out the top hole.. I would pump until the fluid is free of air, typically an ounce or two.
Old 10-22-16, 05:34 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

So I was going to change the tranny fluid in my GS350 today, but the fluid over flow plug was rusted onto the pan. It seems like the hex is a circle. I didn't strip it. A 5mm hex goes in, but a 6mm hex is too big, even if I tried tapping it in with a hammer.

The tranny pan is leaking slightly, and most of the bolts were a 1/4 turn loose. For now I snugged them down, but I guess I'll have to pull the pan, use a bolt extractor on the overflow plug and replace it, and get a new gasket. Any ideas?

Name:  IMG_5792.jpg
Views: 3542
Size:  159.6 KB

Name:  IMG_5790.jpg
Views: 3531
Size:  127.0 KB
Old 10-22-16, 06:04 PM
Sodium
Lead Lap

So I was going to change the tranny fluid in my GS350 today, but the fluid over flow plug was rusted onto the pan. It seems like the hex is a circle. I didn't strip it. A 5mm hex goes in, but a 6mm hex is too big, even if I tried tapping it in with a hammer.

The tranny pan is leaking slightly, and most of the bolts were a 1/4 turn loose. For now I snugged them down, but I guess I'll have to pull the pan, use a bolt extractor on the overflow plug and replace it, and get a new gasket. Any ideas?

Damn

Well you could hit the overflow bolt with some rust remover or get rid of as much of it as possible with sand paper and elbow grease, then try to use vice grips to unscrew it that way – shouldn't be impossible if you grip the bolt very tightly since it should only be torqued to 15lb/ft
Old 10-22-16, 07:31 PM
Gs3500
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the same problem with the overflow. I'll be very interested in what you end up doing to loosen that bolt. It is stupid of Lexus to use an Allen key bolt instead of a regular hex bolt. Make sure you order a new bolt before you extract it.
Old 10-24-16, 06:45 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Sodium
Damn

Well you could hit the overflow bolt with some rust remover or get rid of as much of it as possible with sand paper and elbow grease, then try to use vice grips to unscrew it that way – shouldn't be impossible if you grip the bolt very tightly since it should only be torqued to 15lb/ft
Originally Posted by Gs3500
I have the same problem with the overflow. I'll be very interested in what you end up doing to loosen that bolt. It is stupid of Lexus to use an Allen key bolt instead of a regular hex bolt. Make sure you order a new bolt before you extract it.
I think I'm going to drop the pan and extract the bolt. It'll be a good time to redo the gasket anyways since its leaking a bit. At least there's no exhaust pipes in the way of dropping the pan like the 2GS had.

I was also thinking of changing the filter since the pan will be off - any thoughts on this? I see RockAuto has a WIX 58122 kit for $22CAD, comes with the gasket and filter.

It's also cool that the 3GS shares a lot of these tranny components with RWD Toyota trucks - that way I can order from a Toyota dealer for much cheaper. Amazing how much more Lexus dealers charge for the same part from the same warehouse.
Old 10-24-16, 07:25 PM
alchemist
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts

I think I'm going to drop the pan and extract the bolt. It'll be a good time to redo the gasket anyways since its leaking a bit. At least there's no exhaust pipes in the way of dropping the pan like the 2GS had.

I was also thinking of changing the filter since the pan will be off - any thoughts on this? I see RockAuto has a WIX 58122 kit for $22CAD, comes with the gasket and filter.

It's also cool that the 3GS shares a lot of these tranny components with RWD Toyota trucks - that way I can order from a Toyota dealer for much cheaper. Amazing how much more Lexus dealers charge for the same part from the same warehouse.

If you wait until this weekend...I am going to do mine and write it up for everyone. Here is the strainer and gasket I purchased...

gasket: http://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts/l...168-60010.html

strainer: http://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts/l...330-50020.html
Old 10-25-16, 07:44 AM
Kelziam
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you so much for the detailed info.
Old 10-25-16, 02:27 PM
alchemist
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kelziam
Thank you so much for the detailed info.
youre welcome
Old 10-26-16, 07:50 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by alchemist
If you wait until this weekend...I am going to do mine and write it up for everyone. Here is the strainer and gasket I purchased...

gasket: http://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts/l...168-60010.html

strainer: http://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts/l...330-50020.html
Thanks. When will you have the write up posted.... I wanted to tackle mine on Saturday too!
I already ordered the rusty overflow plug from the dealer.
Old 10-28-16, 05:07 PM
alchemist
Instructor

Thanks. When will you have the write up posted.... I wanted to tackle mine on Saturday too!
I already ordered the rusty overflow plug from the dealer.
i will be done at 9am ct. if you have any questions before then just pm me. Its easy.
Old 10-29-16, 05:37 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

thanks Al. pretty work
Old 10-31-16, 04:48 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Default DIY Video: Sealed Transmission Fluid Change

Thanks to this tutorial I was able to change the tranny fluid in my RWD Lexus GS350. Here's a video on how it was done for future reference:

In my case, I simply did a drain and fill. The fluid came out red, and according to the service records, it was changed a few times by the previous owner which is great.
I couldn't open the over flow bolt due to rust, so I left it for now, and replaced exactly the same amount of fluid that came out.

The only thing I didn't get was this:

Do you have an AWD GS350? Because with RWD, it was impossible to climb my plastic ramps without them sliding out from under the wheels. I ended up putting the ramps in the back and jacked up the front. But then driving down, the ramps pitched out from under the rear wheels as soon as I lightly tapped the gas and the car feel straight down. There has to be a safer way...
The following users liked this post:
KJFS (03-05-22)
Old 11-01-16, 06:28 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I use rubber tool box drawer liners to put under my ramps and they prevent sliding.

Quick Reply: Changing Transmission Fluid ***DIY w/ pics***