GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Changing Transmission Fluid ***DIY w/ pics***

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-18, 01:55 PM
Just4Me
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thank u very muchas gracias
Old 12-27-18, 06:57 PM
dsmtoy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation mr

[QUOTE=alchemist;8458236]--→ Another 5000 miles and I did the Drain/fill with check procedure:

This time level the vehicle. I use a combo of rhino ramps and jack stands

Drain/fill fluid. It is best if engine is completely cold on this step.

Now check fluid temperature. Make sure engine is off and electrical systems too (such as air conditioning, audio, lighting)

Connect terminals CG (4) and TC (13) of the Data Link Calibrator (DLC3) which is located under your dash.

Start your car. The RPMS will bump up higher than normal and a bunch of lights will appear on the dash.

Move the shift lever from the P to the S position, shift the gear from 1st to 6th and then return the shift lever return to P position.

Next, move the shift lever to D, and quickly move back and forth between N and D (once within 1.5 seconds) for at least 6 seconds. This will activate the fluid temperature detection mode.

Return the shift lever to P and disconnect terminals 13 (TC) and 4 (CG).

You can remove the wire from OBD2 port. Allow the engine to idle until the fluid temperature reaches 41 to 46°C (106 to 115°F)

When temp is in the correct range, the D-shift indicator on the dash will stay lit.

Now check fluid level.

With engine idling, remove overflow plug.

***If fluid comes out, replace overflow plug when the fluid just trickles. You are done.

***If nothing comes out, you need to add fluid. Reinstall the overflow plug and stop the engine.

Remove the refill plug.
Add 1/2 Quart of fluid.
Allow the engine to idle and wait for 10 seconds.
Repeat the "CHECK FLUID LEVEL" procedure.

*****My advice is when you decide to do the drain/fill with the level check procedure, slightly overfill the tranny with fluid so you do not have to add after you check the level following the temp procedure. In other words if 2 Quarts drain out, add 2.5 quarts. Then you will be done after you check the fluid level the first time.

Good luck.[/QUOTE
does the factory have an overflow tube or i have to get one?
Old 12-28-18, 10:58 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

The overflow tube is built into the transmission pan. You use a hex socket to remove it. It's in the middle of the pan on the passenger side.
Old 12-28-18, 11:36 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

Anybody change their fluids with high miles? Im at 173K the previous owner said he replaced it at 85k. Im just concerned my friction plates are worn and are relying on the thicker old fluid.
Old 12-29-18, 04:48 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

I drained out almost 4 quarts at 150k this summer with no issues.
The following users liked this post:
ibidu1 (12-30-18)
Old 01-02-19, 06:01 PM
bvshearz
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default tranny fluid change

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
There's gotta be an easier way, Drain & fills are 'secure' but not very effective for getting all of it out.

Is there no way to get this going with the transmission cooler line removed and shifting through the gears, shut off, then refill?

I've seen it done this way on other models of Lexus.
I would like to know if this method is possible also? On my 2009 Camry,I drained the pan,refilled it with the same amount of fluid,then removed the return line from the tranny cooler in the radiator,started car,when it pumped a quart out,turn car off,put a quart in...repeated this procedure 10 times until fluid was bright red instead of brown. I just bought a 2011 gs 350 and had hoped to do this same procedure to it....not possible?
Old 01-02-19, 09:59 PM
thallium
Intermediate

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by bvshearz
I would like to know if this method is possible also? On my 2009 Camry,I drained the pan,refilled it with the same amount of fluid,then removed the return line from the tranny cooler in the radiator,started car,when it pumped a quart out,turn car off,put a quart in...repeated this procedure 10 times until fluid was bright red instead of brown. I just bought a 2011 gs 350 and had hoped to do this same procedure to it....not possible?
I'd like to know too. I had run across some mention of this not being possible on the GS350 though I don't know why. I'm planning to change my ATF and filter soon on a recently purchased 2013 GS350 but haven't done an inestigation of the undercarriage and transmission coooler line yet. I've also used your method on a Camry which works well.
Old 01-03-19, 03:26 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

The 350 does not have cooler lines going to the radiator. It has a puck like fitting on the passenger side of the transmission which supposedly pumps and returns oil while cooling it at the same time.
The following 2 users liked this post by sha4000:
Autrey (01-14-19), thallium (01-03-19)
Old 01-04-19, 03:12 PM
bvshearz
Rookie

Originally Posted by sha4000
The 350 does not have cooler lines going to the radiator. It has a puck like fitting on the passenger side of the transmission which supposedly pumps and returns oil while cooling it at the same time.
Well....thanks for letting me know. I'm a bit disappointed. So...after everything I've read on here ,unless I can find someone with that BG machine...there's NO WAY to get a complete fluid change,just drain and fill...several times . That's NOT a very good plan...but the only one ...I guess
Old 01-05-19, 12:24 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Well....thanks for letting me know. I'm a bit disappointed. So...after everything I've read on here ,unless I can find someone with that BG machine...there's NO WAY to get a complete fluid change,just drain and fill...several times . That's NOT a very good plan...but the only one ...I guess
If youre high miles I wouldnt do a fluid flush, to risky

Autrey (01-14-19)
Old 01-05-19, 03:31 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

I was disappointed also but I did a drain and fill after the car sat overnight and got almost 4 quarts out.
Old 01-05-19, 10:58 PM
thallium
Intermediate

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by ibidu1
If youre high miles I wouldnt do a fluid flush, to risky
What do you consider high mileage?
Old 01-06-19, 12:48 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by thallium
What do you consider high mileage?
170k miles
Old 01-06-19, 06:21 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Arrow ** Get 80% of the fluid in 2 Steps!!! **

FWIW - I worked at AAMCO transmission for 6 years. Change the fluid before 90k. The risk is NIL as fluid does not varnish like it did 30 years ago. The only time there is risk is if it comes out yellow and smells like turpentine. If this happens, it is varnished and it could fail with new high detergent fluid.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Mistakes being made:
Dumping out warm and/or hot fluid and pouring in room temperature fluid will NOT provide an equal volume of fluid exchange. The fluid expands with heat. Best practice is to verify the temperature and use the overflow method to establish the correct fluid level.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Required: Techstream, jumper, or other hand held device to see the actual transmission temperature and check the fluid level.

Do this if you want **most of the fluid out** in two steps. Loosely keep track of how much fluid comes out so you don't come up short.

Drain the pan. Start the engine for 5 seconds. Remove the pan. Remove the Filter.
Replace the Filter. Clean the pan and if the gasket is not torn to badly, install pan.
Fill with at least 3 qts and start the engine for 10 seconds. Add one more qt. Start for 10 seconds.
Drain the oil and remove the pan. Dump everything and pull the filter to let it drain.
Install the filter.
Install new pan gasket onto pan. If you end up with some cheap porous pan gasket, spray it with COPPER COAT or any gloss spray paint. Spray ALL 4 EDGES! This will reduce seepage through the gasket.
Install pan. Tighten bolts in criss cross pattern and go around the pan a couple of times. Do NOT over tighten.
Fill with 3 qts and start engine.
Add remaining fluid and follow procedure to check the overflow fluid level.

I use this process as driving it only dilutes your fresh fluid so Minimal run time is best. If during the first drain process you are comfortable shifting through the gears, this will dump fluid from the pistons in the clutch packs. 50MPH is fast enough on jack stands. Be smooth and gentle.
Good luck!
prech (01-05-20)
Old 01-14-19, 01:54 PM
Autrey
Driver School Candidate

I had the fluid in my 2006 GS300 changed. The pan was not dropped. After the change the mechanic thought the transmission was failing because of the way the car drove.
I tried to check the fluid level and cold at least half a quart ran out. I replaced the plug, jumped the 4 and 13 pin in the OBD connector and started the car.
The flashing lights did not go out when I pulled the jumper. The display read VSC CHECK. 1 warmed up the tranny. I let the car run at least half an hour. The flashing lights never did go off and nothing runs out of the check level tube. I don't understand why fluid came out when cold and not when hot. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Quick Reply: Changing Transmission Fluid ***DIY w/ pics***