Changing Transmission Fluid ***DIY w/ pics*** - Page 12 - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

Go Back  ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion > Lexus Model Forums > GS Models > GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011)
Changing Transmission Fluid ***DIY w/ pics*** >

Changing Transmission Fluid ***DIY w/ pics***

Notices
GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Changing Transmission Fluid ***DIY w/ pics***

Old 11-18-17, 04:32 PM
kjlgpw
Driver School Candidate

Default Adding more complexity to an already complex procedure

Old 11-20-17, 01:57 PM
2008GS
Driver

ALCHEMIST is great! I also live in Tennessee and can vouch for him as a top-notch Lexus tech who knows his stuff. He did my trans service and the car drives like new. Car had about 120k when he did the work. My GS drives superbly. He also swapped the plugs, and other fluids (rear diff, brake and power steering). My next service with him will be the water pump, which can take out the engine if it fails.. Once water pump is done, I think I am good until 200k.
Old 11-21-17, 10:27 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Al didn’t charge you for changing the power steering fluid did he? Lmao.
Old 11-21-17, 04:36 PM
2008GS
Driver

Good point...he educated me in this modern technology. Magic, no fluid 😎
Old 12-29-17, 08:48 PM
fig19
Driver School Candidate

A suggestion to those w/out a dipstick for the refill.....you will want to make sure you can get the refill plug loose BEFORE draining the transmission fluid.This is also important if doing the rear differential fluid change as the drain and fill plugs are seperate,
I've looked at many transmission fluid change write ups here and no one ever drops the pan and gets a good cleaning,inspection and gasket seal....why not?
Old 02-26-18, 11:08 AM
ZenDIY
Driver School Candidate

Lightbulb 2007 GS350 RWD transmission refill

Great DIY thread. Thank you, Alchemist and others for the info here!

I did not service my 2007 GS350 RWD transmission for 151,000 miles. For the past 4 months, the transmission was not shifting as smoothly as I'd like in slow traffic (10 - 30 MPH). I thought about replacing the fluid, but saw the controversies about doing this, so I held off.

The other day the check VCS check engine light came on. I used the Blue Driver OBD-II tool to read the trouble code, which was P0894 – Transmission Component Slipping (or in two gears at once).

I briefly talked with one of the Lexus service reps, and I asked if I should change the fluid, and he suggested that I should not. He said the fluid may be holding everything together and replacing it could cause the transmission to fail. Apparently, he was not an expert, but I thought about what he said because I have heard of transmissions failing after a fluid change.

But why the failures. Is this a myth? Should I be afraid to change the fluid?

I already had a transmission fail in a 96 ES300, costing me $4,000 for a rebuild, so I wasn’t sure what to do.

I decided to replace the fluid, clear the code, and see if the check engine light comes back on.

Using the DIY instructions in this thread, I replaced the transmission fluid and filter. Success!

There was virtually no metal in the pan, so I am hopeful that replacing the fluid will fix the problem. I replaced 3.2 quarts of smelly, black fluid with 3.0 quarts of Toyota WS fluid. I still needed a bit more fluid, so I ended up adding 0.3 quarts of Valvoline Max Life Dextron III/Mercon (which said it was compatible with Toyota transmissions).

The transmission shifts smoother again, and the check engine light has stayed off.

I am hesitant to replace all of the 10.5 quarts at once. This web page confirms one of my suspicions about varnish build up http://www.allstatetransmission.net/...ge-information

Here is an excerpt

What Problems Can A Transmission Flush Cause?

A transmission flush has two major factors that can cause automatic transmission problems;

· A transmission flush only changes the transmission fluid, NOT the filter, similar to changing your engine oil WITHOUT changing the engine's oil filter. Just as with your motor, transmissions generate fine metal debris that is captured by the magnet and filter and needs to be removed before transmission problems or failure occurs.

· New transmission fluid has a high percentage of detergent in them that keeps the transmission's internals very clean. If transmission maintenance is neglected, which I'm sure 90% of you reading this are guilty of, myself included, then transmission fluid breaks down. If the quality of the transmission fluid is allowed to continue to break down from lack of service it can leave a hard varnish-like residue that builds up on the internal parts. When that much new ATF (Automatic Transmission Fluid) is introduced all at once the detergents in the new fluid can cause the hard residue to flake off allowing it to travel throughout the transmission and become lodged between parts with close tolerances such as valves or solenoids. It is best in these cases to perform a regular transmission service where the filter is changed, the pan and magnet are cleaned of metal shavings and fine debris and only a 3rd of the fluid is changed at one time.

· If you have never performed maintenance on the transmission (like mine), and the transmission has 150,000 miles on it, replacing all of the fluid at once may be too slippery for the clutch plates to hold.

· For me, the transmission worked well for 140,000 miles. I should have replaced the fluid at this point.

Thank you for the detailed instructions on how to replace the transmission fluid.

I would refine the instructions a bit:

1) Check that you can loosen the WS fill bolt before you start (nice tip).
2) Hopefully, you can put the car on stands so that it is level.
3) Open the regular drain bolt (not the Check bolt), and measure how much fluid comes out.
4) If replacing the filter, remove the pan, and catch the other fluid. Clean the pan and notice if there is much metal in the pan (mine did not have any after 150,000 miles), which is a good sign. Replace the filter, the gasket, and reinstall the pan. Reinstall the drain bolt.
5) Using a hand pump, pump the fluid into the WS fill hole on the side of the transmission. There are two small bolts holding on a cover on the side of the transmission that hides the WS fill bolt. Remove the two bolts and cover, and you will find a large bolt with WS stamped on the bolt. I used a 24 mm wrench to remove the bolt.
6) I liked the idea someone had to feed a tube from the engine down to the fill hole. You can then use a funnel to add the fluid. I plan to try this technique for the next fill.
7) When adding fluid, add a little more fluid than what you took out. I needed about 3.3 quarts (with a filter change for an RWD transmission). Do not fill until fluid comes out of the WS fill hole (this would be way too much fluid).
8) I replaced the WS bolt for the level check.
9) Be sure to start out with a cold engine and be sure to test the temperature of the engine. Do NOT skip this step, and YES, it is important to know the temperature of the transmission fluid.
10) If you are attempting to do this with a hot engine, then the only thing you can do is to replace the exact amount of fluid as you took out, in which case you will not know if the fluid level is correct. When the engine is hot, a LOT more fluid will come out of the Check hole, and you would need a special tool that Lexus sells that you attach to the Check hole, which has an adjustable straw which you can set based on the transmission temperature. This complicates the process and it is not necessary if you can start with a cold engine.
11) To test the temperature, jumper pins 4 and 13 on the OBD-II connector (under the steering wheel).
12) With a cold engine, start the engine. If you jumped the pins on the OBD-II connector, the dash will show you are in the VCS Diag process. The engine will be faster, and several lights will be flashing. Follow the procedure already documented in this thread, shifting from P to D, then through all the gears, reverse, and then back and forth between N and D for at least 6 seconds. Then put the shift into P.
13) After about 5 or 6 minutes, the D light came on, even though the shift was in park (P). Note: as soon as I removed the wire, the radio came on, and it appeared to come out of the VCS DIAG routine, so I left the wire in place throughout this process.
14) Once the D light comes on (after about 5 or 6 minutes), with the engine still running, remove the check drain plug using an Allen wrench. Hopefully, some fluid will drain out. If no fluid drains out, then you need to stop, add more fluid, allow the engine to cool down, and do the check level test again.
15) If some fluid comes out, wait until just a trickle comes out. The longer you wait, the temperature will increase. So as soon as just a trickle comes out, reinsert the Check bolt (with the Allen wrench).
16)
AFTER you have tightened the Check bolt, you can THEN stop the engine. Tighten all the bolts, and you're done. If you stop the engine before reinserting the Check bolt, then the fluid will drain out (oops), and you need to start over.

Overall, I am glad that I replaced the fluid once (after 150,000 miles). I wish I did it sooner (at 120,000 miles). On the next oil change, I plan to do another fluid replacement. I do NOT plan to replace all of the fluid at once for two reasons:

1. If you have not performed regular maintenance on a transmission (like mine), then there is likely a buildup of a varnish-like residue. Replacing all of the fluid at once can cause this varnish residue to get lodged somewhere causing a malfunction, requiring a rebuild.

2. There are several clutch plates in the transmission which will wear over time. If the new fluid is too slippery, then the clutch plates may slip.

I will try to find some balance, replacing 3 quarts at a time (maybe on the next oil change).
Attached Thumbnails Changing Transmission Fluid ***DIY w/ pics***-obd-jumper.jpg   Changing Transmission Fluid ***DIY w/ pics***-vcs-diag-display.jpg  
Old 02-28-18, 08:19 PM
gr8fulRed
Pole Position

Originally Posted by fig19 View Post
A suggestion to those w/out a dipstick for the refill.....you will want to make sure you can get the refill plug loose BEFORE draining the transmission fluid.This is also important if doing the rear differential fluid change as the drain and fill plugs are seperate,
I've looked at many transmission fluid change write ups here and no one ever drops the pan and gets a good cleaning,inspection and gasket seal....why not?

Actually, Alchemist did this. Here is a link to his DIY tutorial on dropping the pan, cleaning it, replacing the filter and gasket.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...iy-w-pics.html
Old 03-03-18, 04:33 PM
ServerTech
Driver

Default AWD Transmission filter change

Originally Posted by fig19 View Post
I dropped the pan, cleaned it up real good, (kept all 6 magnets LOL) and replaced the gasket too. Its an AWD car which I assume you have in Michigan.
And don't forget to change your filter too:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...er-change.html

Hope this helps
Attached Thumbnails Changing Transmission Fluid ***DIY w/ pics***-img_20161111_140736.jpg  
Old 03-04-18, 06:38 AM
gs350fan
Pole Position

Originally Posted by gr8fulRed View Post
Actually, Alchemist did this. Here is a link to his DIY tutorial on dropping the pan, cleaning it, replacing the filter and gasket.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...iy-w-pics.html
I did this every 30K with very problematic Fords and they lasted till 200K (some sold or rusted out, but the trans were shifting like new). Procedure looks identical, they also have Filtran units.

A guy who owned a big NY transmission shop told me that if you install a cooler and do this service every 30K he would pretty much be out of business. Barring a severe factory defect, most trans die from neglect. For example, 2002+ explorers had a steel pin and piston and aluminum bore in the case, so it is possible that frequent changes MAY help with wear, but that is a factory defect. But you can see where old fluid would be catastrophic here. They are also sealed units and have the same procedure to check the fluid as us, but are based on a very old design. The non-sealed older ones with dipstics didn't fail AS much, maybe because people changed the fluid. Around 2008 they licencesd ZFs BMW transmission and use it in all their trucks, I believe it is similar in design to ours.

Now we have better fluids so the 30K could become 60-90K. A flush isn't necessary, every 30k you renew the additives and viscosity in the fluid. Flush machines can also introduce contaminants (the lines could be dirty, have debris from failed transmissions, have foreign fluids (even small amounts can be an issue).

Last edited by gs350fan; 03-04-18 at 06:51 AM.
Old 06-03-18, 01:28 PM
noblesenga
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lexuseng View Post
I did a drain and fill on my 2007 GS350 AWD. My first drain was about 3.5 quarts (I measured carefully). After a few drain and fills, my final fill was 4 quarts. Drove it for a few weeks and decided to check the overfill. I skipped this at first because I had my car on ramps and figured the most accurate way was to wait until I could do this with the car level. Finally I had a chance and then used a IR thermometer to measure the temp of the transmission pan. When I opened the overfill plug (5mm Allen wrench) I was expecting about .5 a quart. Way more came out until I was uncomfortable enough that I plugged the overfill mid-stream. I measured 1.5 quarts had come out the overflow (it was still coming out strong). So I estimating there's only 2.5 quarts in this AWD transmission now (positively put 4 quarts in, 1.5 quarts out of overfill). So I can only conclude:
1. The original transmission fluid of 3.5 quarts was overfilled by at least a quart to begin with (bought this used so don't know if this amount came from the factory). Can anyone confirm what the fill should really be for AWD?
2. something wrong with my overflow tube

Didn't really want to let it drain until it stopped figuring if there was something wrong with my overflow tube, it would all drain out and then couldn't drive to work. I might buy some more fluid and do this just to see but maybe someone knows the answer and save me the trouble.

i changed mine today and 3.5qt came out aswell. I just refilled it with same amount. I had the ATF oil changed last year but im sure the technician did not overfill it as i was watching him to the service. Do you think 3.5 is too much ?? Is the normal 2.5?
Old 06-09-18, 06:34 PM
sha4000
Lexus Fanatic

Many thanks to the OP. I did a drain and refill this morning since I could not do a full exchange due to the make up of this transmission. A little under 4qts came out but definitely more than 3.5 which was most likely due to me jacking the car up so high on the jack stands and letting it drain for a bit. I'm grateful foe the fill bolt being much more accessible than the one on the LS 460. pumped back in the required amount and buttoned it back up. I was feeling real good so I went ahead and drained all the coolant afterwards. I could not even see the block drain on the drivers side even though I knew where it was supposed to be due to having the AWD components in the way. I just opened the radiator and passenger side drains and got close to 2 gallons. Filled her back up and bled the system, then went for a short test drive to make sure everything was kosher since this is my wifes car.
Old 06-13-18, 07:51 AM
PR FIEBRU
Lead Lap

Hey what's up everyone. I like dong preventive maintenance. I am assuming its the same procedure for the 2013 GS350 fsport. I am wondering if the measuring the transmission temperature is the same being that is a completely different dash cluster.
Old 07-05-18, 09:20 PM
gr8fulRed
Pole Position

getting ready to do this fluid replacement process again, so I'm back to review the proper steps. Too bad I can no longer see Alchemist's pictures from the original post, as those were very helpful. I plan on chaining out the filter/gasket on this go around too.
Old 07-05-18, 09:24 PM
gr8fulRed
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sha4000 View Post
Many thanks to the OP. I did a drain and refill this morning since I could not do a full exchange due to the make up of this transmission. A little under 4qts came out but definitely more than 3.5 which was most likely due to me jacking the car up so high on the jack stands and letting it drain for a bit. I'm grateful foe the fill bolt being much more accessible than the one on the LS 460. pumped back in the required amount and buttoned it back up. I was feeling real good so I went ahead and drained all the coolant afterwards. I could not even see the block drain on the drivers side even though I knew where it was supposed to be due to having the AWD components in the way. I just opened the radiator and passenger side drains and got close to 2 gallons. Filled her back up and bled the system, then went for a short test drive to make sure everything was kosher since this is my wifes car.

yeah, I replaced my coolant last weekend and there was just no freaking way to get to the driver's side block drain plug. I could see it....but no way in hell to get that valve opened up with a tool. Not sure how in the hell you're supposed to do it. The passenger side is a pain in the ***, but still doable. Not the drivers side though.
The Following User Says Thank You to gr8fulRed For This Useful Post:
sha4000 (07-07-18)
Old 07-07-18, 09:05 AM
sha4000
Lexus Fanatic

Your right the passenger side is a pain but doable. You have to get it at the right angle.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Changing Transmission Fluid ***DIY w/ pics***

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: