GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Changing Transmission Fluid ***DIY w/ pics***

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-16, 10:08 PM
Sodium
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by ServerTech
Guys he has an AWD car, the trans takes a lot more fluid than the RWD model. More like 4.7 if I recall.
Good luck
GS350 AWD and RWD trannys both have a total capacity of 12qts I believe. Are you saying that the AWD tranny oil pan has a 4.7qt capacity?
Old 10-05-16, 09:42 PM
ServerTech
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Sodium
GS350 AWD and RWD trannys both have a total capacity of 12qts I believe. Are you saying that the AWD tranny oil pan has a 4.7qt capacity?
Drain and refill of my 2007 AWD was 4.7. Total capacity has nothing to do with drain and refill, most of the transmission fluid stays in the torque converter, valve body and transmission fluid passages.
I'm just trying to help out the guy with an AWD who drained his trans by mistake during a oil change.
And make sure you use genuine Toyota fluid.
Old 10-06-16, 11:21 PM
Sodium
Lead Lap

Drain and refill of my 2007 AWD was 4.7. Total capacity has nothing to do with drain and refill, most of the transmission fluid stays in the torque converter, valve body and transmission fluid passages.
I'm just trying to help out the guy with an AWD who drained his trans by mistake during a oil change.
And make sure you use genuine Toyota fluid.
For sure, I just misunderstood your first post (I assumed you were referring to the total capacity). That's interesting though, I wonder why the AWD would have a tranny fluid pan that held 1.7qts more than the RWD.

Last edited by Sodium; 10-06-16 at 11:30 PM.
Old 10-13-16, 02:06 PM
Jontay
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by burny
Be very careful and dont overfill. do not fill until it runs out the overflow tube. you need to get it to the right temperature and then look for the trickle out the overflow tube(5mm allen wrench plug). look at Alchemist DIY to see how to jumper the 4 and 13 pins on the OBD. This fluid expands when heated so be careful
You mentioned NOT to fill until it runs out of overflow. How would I know if it is "at the right temperature" on the initial fill if everything is at ambient temperature? I can't put in the exact amount that I took out as I don't know how much that was.

Seems like the more I read the more confused I'm getting. Here is my game plan, so far:

- just bought 5 quarts of ATF WS tranny fluid from Toyota.
- gonna jack the car up on jack stands (apparently need to use jack stands and ramps...to make level?)
- open the FILL port and OVERFLOW port on side of tranny.
- fill until just a trickle of fluid comes out of OVERFLOW port(?). Once this happens, I'll close the FILL and OVERFLOW ports.
- jumper the OBD terminals
- start car. when dashboard flashes light patterns, go through the shifting procedures (as per "alchemist instructions/photos).
- when D light turns green........... I should be in the right temperature range(?).
- with engine idling, re-open just the OVERFLOW port and allow to drain out of OVERFLOW port until a slight trickle. add more fluid if none comes out of OVERFLOW port.
- Close ports and done.

Man, I'm nervous as HELL about doing this!!! Maybe I should tow to dealer? Still can't believe I done this one! D'OH!!!!!

Anyone and everyone....feel free to chime in.

AND.....many THANKS for all the responses so far!
Old 10-13-16, 03:50 PM
Sodium
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Jontay
You mentioned NOT to fill until it runs out of overflow. How would I know if it is "at the right temperature" on the initial fill if everything is at ambient temperature? I can't put in the exact amount that I took out as I don't know how much that was.

Seems like the more I read the more confused I'm getting. Here is my game plan, so far:

- just bought 5 quarts of ATF WS tranny fluid from Toyota.
- gonna jack the car up on jack stands (apparently need to use jack stands and ramps...to make level?)
- open the FILL port and OVERFLOW port on side of tranny.
- fill until just a trickle of fluid comes out of OVERFLOW port(?). Once this happens, I'll close the FILL and OVERFLOW ports.
- jumper the OBD terminals
- start car. when dashboard flashes light patterns, go through the shifting procedures (as per "alchemist instructions/photos).
- when D light turns green........... I should be in the right temperature range(?).
- with engine idling, re-open just the OVERFLOW port and allow to drain out of OVERFLOW port until a slight trickle. add more fluid if none comes out of OVERFLOW port.
- Close ports and done.

Man, I'm nervous as HELL about doing this!!! Maybe I should tow to dealer? Still can't believe I done this one! D'OH!!!!!

Anyone and everyone....feel free to chime in.

AND.....many THANKS for all the responses so far!
Yeah it all sounds a bit scary, but it's really easy once you get to doing it.

You are correct, the car has to be level when doing to fluid level check.

As for how how much to put in, if you can estimate how much you took out to within +/– half a quart, take the high number and put in that much plus an additional 1/2 quart. In other words, if you estimate that you put in 3 to 4 quarts (3.5qts +/– a half qt), put in 4qts.

When you add the fluid, the overflow bolt should be closed.

Also, if no fluid trickles out when you do the level check procedure, you should turn off the car, let everything cool off, then add 1/2qt and repeat the level check from the beginning. If you try to fill it when the car's running, you'll be dangerously close to the hot exhaust pipe
Old 10-13-16, 07:43 PM
TheGs3
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Very helpful write up!

Just did a drain and refill on my 06 gs300 AWD. Fairly simple process (thanks to this DIY) I had the car on ramps and I drained 4 Liters (4.2 quarts) refilled excatly what I drained. From what I've read on this thread most people are draining 2.5 to 3 quarts which is alot less then what I drained is it because awd holds more fluid in the pan then rwd? I was a little nervous about jumping the obd2 so I did not do the fluid level check procedure. Is jumping the obd absolutely necessary or could I get away with pointing an infrared temperature gun at the transmission pan to get the temp that way before opening the overflow port? I would greatly appreciate any feedback.

Thanks.

Last edited by TheGs3; 10-13-16 at 07:50 PM.
Old 10-13-16, 09:56 PM
ServerTech
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by TheGs3
Just did a drain and refill on my 06 gs300 AWD. Fairly simple process (thanks to this DIY) I had the car on ramps and I drained 4 Liters (4.2 quarts) refilled excatly what I drained. From what I've read on this thread most people are draining 2.5 to 3 quarts which is alot less then what I drained is it because awd holds more fluid in the pan then rwd? I was a little nervous about jumping the obd2 so I did not do the fluid level check procedure. Is jumping the obd absolutely necessary or could I get away with pointing an infrared temperature gun at the transmission pan to get the temp that way before opening the overflow port? I would greatly appreciate any feedback.

Thanks.
You will be fine as long as you put back in exactly what came out. I let my 2007 GS350 AWD drain overnight with the front end raised a bit. It was like 4.7 qts, as I recall. Whatever it was I put exactly the same amount back in. The car only had 51k miles on it and the fluid was nasty. That was 10k miles ago and the transmission is fine. I will take more pictures next time.
Attached Thumbnails Changing Transmission Fluid ***DIY w/ pics***-img_20150517_174752.jpg   Changing Transmission Fluid ***DIY w/ pics***-img_20150517_174526.jpg  
Old 10-14-16, 08:04 AM
TheGs3
Driver School Candidate

You will be fine as long as you put back in exactly what came out. I let my 2007 GS350 AWD drain overnight with the front end raised a bit. It was like 4.7 qts, as I recall. Whatever it was I put exactly the same amount back in. The car only had 51k miles on it and the fluid was nasty. That was 10k miles ago and the transmission is fine. I will take more pictures next time.

Thanks for the input bud! I did fill exactly what I drained but I just bought this car not too long ago and wanted to make sure that the correct amount was filled previously.
I read that guys over at 4runner forums are actually using the infrared temperature gun to get temperature reading by just pointing it at the bottom of the pan. Has anyone tried this
method here on the GS?

Cheers

PS: here is the post I am talking abt
http://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-ge...uid-level.html

Last edited by TheGs3; 10-14-16 at 08:15 AM.
Old 10-14-16, 10:27 AM
Gs3500
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I got just a bit over 4.2quarts on my Awd as well as if that makes you more comfortable.
Old 10-14-16, 10:41 AM
TheGs3
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Gs3500
I got just a bit over 4.2quarts on my Awd as well as if that makes you more comfortable.
It sure does

BTW I noticed that you are also in Ontario..I am from Mississauga
Old 10-14-16, 10:43 AM
LatinLS430
Instructor

Received 89 Likes on 72 Posts

Very awesome write up.
Old 10-14-16, 02:58 PM
Gs3500
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It sure does

good to see a fellow Ontarian... I'm in North York.
Old 10-14-16, 09:18 PM
Lukas99GS
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Is it the same for the 8 speed on the 460? The shop I brought it to told me there's no way to drain and fill my transmission and that I'd have to flush it.
Old 10-16-16, 10:14 AM
Jontay
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

UPDATE:

So, basically I chickened out on performing the fill by myself. After reviewing the costs and hassle I decided it just wasn't worth the chance of me screwing things up any further (hey, my mechanical ability confidence took a hit on this one).

It ended up costing me $21 for a flat bed tow truck, $130 for 1 hour labor at Peterson Lexus in Boise (also got a 2016 GS350 loaner to check out for a few hours) and 3 quarts of tranny fluid which was about $30. So, $181 to get me back on the road. I thought it was worth it.

Sorry about copping out on the DIY repair experience/feedback on this one and not being able to provide more insight into the repair but I was quite happy confidently able to drive the car after being without for a short while. btw.......didn't notice a whole lot of difference between my 2010 and the 2016 as far as comfort, ride, handling, performance, etc.

A special"THANK YOU" to this forum and all of you who who took the time and responded to my situation. It was greatly appreciated!!

Regards,
John
Old 10-16-16, 12:34 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts
Default 12 Qt tranny fluid change

Need a quick clarification here,
How do you change all 12 quarts of tranny fluid at once, in 3 liter successions?
If you pump new fluid in after draining it, wouldn't it go straight into the pan and you'd just be draining the new fluid out the second and third time? Or do you drive the car to let it mix in between drain cycles?

The latter sounds more logical, though the mixing of the fluids dilute how much actual clean fluid gets in to replace the old.

It sure does

Me too

Quick Reply: Changing Transmission Fluid ***DIY w/ pics***