GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Door Lock Acutuators DIY ???

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-13, 09:18 PM
Briannyc
Banned Created Multiple Accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just fixed my front driver side door Acuator thanks to this thread.VERY INFORMATIVE thread that saved me some cash....Thanks
Old 06-11-13, 10:30 PM
DrinknCola
Driver School Candidate

i was having a problem in my right rear door. does this problem include with not being able to lock your doors with the remote?
Old 06-12-13, 04:59 PM
ChrisWinnn
Driver School Candidate

For anyone that lives in Texas and has done this before let me know! Please PM and we can work something. Too scared to try this myself.
Old 06-26-13, 05:45 PM
angelgs
Driver School Candidate

i have a 2002 gs that i purchased a couple months ago and all the actuator where bad. got a good deal on the car. I just order 2 actuators on ebay so i can start changing them myself......... I will be using this DIY write up....
Old 06-27-13, 07:04 AM
martyoh
Driver School Candidate

Completed FL and RR Door actuator motor replacement.
Took 4 hours for both x 2 people. One experienced in Lexus Door actuator motor replacement.

Motor from ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/111090809090...84.m1439.l2649

Gear puller from ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/190712384615...84.m1439.l2649

RR: You need to be patient and need 10mm crescent wrench.

No need to remove windows.
Mark and take pictures as you go.
Old 06-30-13, 01:27 PM
desom
Driver School Candidate

Would anyone happen to know where I can find a front passenger actuator for an 01 gs430? ive been looking everywhere and eBay has been the only place.
Old 06-30-13, 04:02 PM
pizitz70
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wanted to chime in and let everyone know I successfully repaired three of my doors this weekend. Actually all four of my lock actuators failed on my '99 GS300. I had the dealer repair the driver's side only while I had it in for another job last year. I kept putting off the other three because of the cost.

With the help of this thread and a fantastic video I found on YouTube, the job is done - all for about $30 bucks.

1. I purchased four Mabuchi motors off eBay from a seller named "zinky86" at a cost of $18.
2. I purchased a tiny Walkera gear/pinion puller off eBay from a seller named "gadgetsalon" at a cost of $16.

I read this thread thoroughly, then watched the step-by-step videos (part 1 and part 2) by YouTube user "nguyengs42". That kid nailed this DIY. Google search "gs300 door actuator diy". They are the first two results.

Notes:
  • Do this job with your windows Up.
  • The Rear doors do not require you to remove the door handles, window glass or speakers. Be patient and move the unit around while wiggling the door handle and the actuator slips right down and out.
  • The Front doors do require you to remove the door handle and the metal window track only. No need to remove the window glass or speaker.
  • Use a Dremel with the thinnest waffer disc you can find. Do not try and cut with an Excto or knife. Carefully etch around the plastic housing of the actuator right at the glued seam to crack it open. No need to glue it back together. The small bolts hold it in place nicely. Make sure you do not pull out the large plastic gear wheel inside the housing. There is a spring underneath that will pop out and it is tricky to get it back (It happened to me on 2 doors).
  • Good thing I bought four motors because one of them was bad. I had to re-do one door completely and try the last motor I had on-hand. That did the trick.

By my estimation, I saved approximately $800 with this DIY vs. letting the dealer do the job. That makes me very happy and one satisfied driver!

Thanks to all for putting this wonderful information out there!

Last edited by pizitz70; 07-10-13 at 01:45 PM.
Old 06-30-13, 04:14 PM
desom
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by pizitz70
I wanted to chime in and let everyone know I successfully repaired three of my doors this weekend. Actually all four of my lock actuators failed on my '99 GS300. I had the dealer repair the driver's side only while I had it in for another job last year. I kept putting off the other three because of the cost.

With the help of this thread and a fantastic video I found on YouTube, the job is done - all for about $30 bucks.

I purchased 4 Mabuchi motors off eBay from a seller named "zinky86" at a cost of $18.
I purchased a tiny Walkera gear/pinion puller off eBay from a seller named "gadgetsalon" at a cost of $16.

I read this thread thoroughly, then watched the step-by-step videos (part 1 and part 2) by YouTube user "nguyengs42". That kid nailed this DIY. Google search "gs300 door actuator diy". They are the first two results.

Notes:
Do this job with your windows Up.

The Rear doors do not require you to remove the door handles, window glass or speakers. Be patient and move the unit around while wiggling the door handle and it slips right down and out.

The Front doors do require you to remove the door handle and the metal window track only. No need to remove the window glass or speaker.

Use a Dremel with the thinnest waffer disc you can find. Do not try and cut with an Excto or knife. Carefully etch around the plastic housing of the actuator to crack it open. No need to glue it back together. The small bolts hold it in place nicely. Make sure you do not pull out the large plastic gear wheel inside the housing. There is a spring underneath that will pop out and it is tricky to get it back (It happened to me on 2 doors).

Good thing I bought four motors because one of them was bad. I had to re-do one door completely and try the last motor I had on-hand. That did the trick.

By my estimation, I saved approximately $800 with this DIY vs. letting the dealer do the job. That makes me very happy and one satisfied driver!

Thanks to all for putting this wonderful information out there!
motors worked only for specific doors?
Old 07-01-13, 07:30 AM
pizitz70
Rookie

Descom,

I think you're asking if each door requires a specific or different motor -- the answer is no. I used the same Mabuchi motor in all four doors actuators.
Old 07-02-13, 01:00 AM
desom
Driver School Candidate

Descom,

I think you're asking if each door requires a specific or different motor -- the answer is no. I used the same Mabuchi motor in all four doors actuators.
That's all i needed to know. Thanks so much!
Old 07-03-13, 12:46 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

[*]The Front doors do require you to remove the door handle and the metal window track only. No need to remove the window glass or speaker.

False, do you not need to remove the door handle.

5 bolts and only two hooks from the actuator is what you need to remove.
Old 07-04-13, 05:32 AM
SprtDesign
Lexus Test Driver

Which length is needed to do the front doors?

This is the gear puller?

Last edited by SprtDesign; 07-04-13 at 05:36 AM.
Old 07-05-13, 02:05 AM
pizitz70
Rookie

TI II,

All four doors take the motors with the shorter shaft (9.85mm).

Yes, that is the correct gear puller.
Old 07-05-13, 02:13 AM
pizitz70
Rookie

sc300jz,

Regarding front door handle removal - I decided to remove the handle and detach the two hooks there (at the handle) rather than trying to detach them at the actuator.

For me, it was easier that way because I couldn't see well or get to the hooks without removing the handle first. Good to know it can be done either way though.

I'm so glad all my locks are in working order now!

Originally Posted by sc300jz
False, do you not need to remove the door handle.

5 bolts and only two hooks from the actuator is what you need to remove.
Old 07-10-13, 05:04 AM
chichat
Driver School Candidate

check this out

Quick Reply: Door Lock Acutuators DIY ???