GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Door Lock Acutuators DIY ???

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-08, 12:12 AM
ISFjimmy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks TRD911. I just did my passenger side and it works great. the drivers side should be a breeze. thanks for pointing me to the right motor and for all the detailed pics.
Old 08-20-08, 01:55 PM
imjohnphan
Lead Lap

Received 118 Likes on 93 Posts

Oh man I guess I am the only one that it does not work for, I bought the motor several months back and put off on doing this until now and after I have assembled everything, it doesn't work, and on top of that, I can the motor buzzing really loud through the door, any ideas on what might have happened?
Old 08-20-08, 04:07 PM
400PR00F
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The coupler is probably spinning on the motor shaft. I replaced my back passenger and driver doors at the same time. For whatever reason, the back passenger started "Buzzing" so I removed and loctited it (blue). I guess I got a little happy and didn't allow it time to cure because it's "buzzing" again. I'm looking for a good reason not to fill the worm gear with JB Weld and then stick the motor into it sans coupler...
Old 08-21-08, 05:14 AM
handzilla
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by JiBBeL
Hi guys, I've managed to get the coupling off the old motor (after a midnight run to Lowe's to buy a vise) but I really had to manhandle it with a torch and channel-locks to get it off.

Will the brass coupling off the new motor come off any easier with heat and pulling? Or do I even need to take it off at all? The new coupling might have enough drive shaft left over to still go on.

Speaking of getting it on, how did you guys get the old coupling on to the new motor shaft? Here's what I've got...
Guys I am confused and have some questions.

1. What exactly is the coupling, where can I find it, what does it do, and what am I supposed to do with it, and how? If it is what I think it is, then it doesn't look like the motors I ordered have it on there.

2. I'm not too clear about what to do with the new motor as far as that brass shaft thing goes. It sounds like you guys are pulling it out and then putting it back in or something before you put it into the actuator.

Can someone please clear this up for me, as I want to try this on tomorrow or Saturday. Hopefully my gear puller will make it on time. Thanks.

Last edited by handzilla; 08-21-08 at 05:23 AM.
Old 08-21-08, 07:03 PM
imjohnphan
Lead Lap

I got the coupling tightly sealed with the motor shaft and now it unlocks and locks correctly, thanks. But I do have a problem, the big gear does not return to its home position so it is not possible to lock and unlock by hand because the black lever is stuck. Should I wind the spring one more revolution to give it more strength to spin the big gear back to the original position? I have spent a full two days on this so far on just one door. =(. Just trying to do this before I go back to college on Sunday.
Old 08-21-08, 07:05 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I must have missed it, or maybe not...

All of the eBay links for the motors are dead.
Can anyone point DIYers in the right direction?
Old 08-21-08, 07:20 PM
imjohnphan
Lead Lap

5 NEW Mabuchi Mini Motors 9V - 12V DC
http://cgi.ebay.com/5-NEW-Mabuchi-Mi...QQcmdZViewItem

There you go man, just search for that on Ebay and you will find it if anyone tries to refer to this later on.
Old 08-22-08, 12:41 AM
imjohnphan
Lead Lap

Well, after spending literally 12 hours again today, I have found out that the coupling on my motor is worn out and will not grasp onto the motor shaft that well anymore. Basically screwed until I can find another coupling exactly like the original one which is going to be impossible.
Old 08-22-08, 06:49 AM
handzilla
Pit Crew

This DIY is really not for those that aren't mechanically inclined (i.e. myself). Thinking it would be easier than it looks I went ahead and purchased the motors and the gear puller. Hearing about all the issues that people are having I decided not to go through with this, especially since this thread is less than clean and filled with a bunch of stuff that would not help me through this process. Credit goes to those that were successful in this project and more credit to the guy who put all the info on here. I will look into other options for fixing my issue until I see a cleaner document (like below,only geared more towards replacing the motor) with less room for error, questions that go unanswered, and unneccessary steps.

http://grcwebsite.com/RR%20Door%20Actuator.pdf
Old 08-22-08, 11:51 AM
White98ARISTO
Goldmember

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

My front driver side is busted. Do you still have to remove the window for the front or can you just have the window rolled up to access the front actuator? Thanks in advance.
Old 08-22-08, 12:17 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

No need to take out the window.
Old 08-22-08, 12:47 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

My god this looks extremely nerve racking and insanely complicated, there is just no inexpensive or easy way to fix this annoying Lexus design defect they ignored and never addressed. I refuse to pay the ridiculous price dealers charge to fix this design defect and for a new actuator and want to do it myself and save the money but man it looks like a nightmare, I just wish Lexus designed a properly working doorlock actuator and at least not have the nerve to charge so much for their mistake to fix that owners will have to pay. I now have 2 door locks not working right so if I get it fixed at the dealer that will be over $1000.00 just to have properly working power door locks and for them to replace a cheap crappy plastic part and cheap motor that they did not design correctly and failed, that is just pathetic and unacceptable, Lexus/Toyota sure are making a ton of money on this issue, no wonder they refuse to do anything about it.
Old 08-22-08, 03:44 PM
imjohnphan
Lead Lap

It's actually not bad at all, the main problem I had was with the coupling. I can now tear down the door in under 20 minutes and get the actuator out. I created my own coupling with a dremel and epoxy and that alone took me 3 hours due to my own mistake but now the problem I have is the big gear returning back to home position when electrically locked. When unlocked electrically it can function normally and returns back to home. When locked, I cannot unlock manually due to the big gear getting stuck somehow and not returning back to home position.
Old 08-22-08, 11:12 PM
dwoods420
Lead Lap

So my front right door lock works only 10% of the time.
Do you think I need a new motor? Why does it work sometimes?
Old 08-23-08, 02:29 PM
ISFjimmy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dwoods420
So my front right door lock works only 10% of the time.
Do you think I need a new motor? Why does it work sometimes?
My driverside only worked at night. Kinda funny but true. i guessed it was cus during the day it was too hot to operate and at night it was nice and cool.

Quick Reply: Door Lock Acutuators DIY ???