GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Door Lock Acutuators DIY ???

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-12, 07:15 AM
Achmed
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what's the difference?

Between these motors, is one different from the other besides the brass collar on the PT?
FC-280PT-22125
FC-280PC-22125

it seems we should be buying the 280PC version since the brass collar that comes on the PT would just have to be removed anyway.

???

Last edited by Achmed; 09-06-12 at 07:34 AM.
Old 09-10-12, 06:04 AM
boosteddsm
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Did this on my driver side front door earlier this year, worked great. Then my driver side rear door went bad. Replaced the motor and put everything back together. Now the door lock does the opposite of what it's supposed to do, locks when you hit unlock and vice versa. This happen to anyone else? Did I overlook something when doing it or what?
Old 09-10-12, 05:26 PM
hario
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

reversed polarity, the easiest way to correct this is to cut the plus and minus wire that goes to the motor, fit terminals on those, so you can swap it around.
Old 09-10-12, 05:32 PM
jaja
Pole Position

This rings a bell, but I know I didn't cut the wires. I think I reattached the bicycle-brake-looking-like-wire-thing and all was good.
Old 09-10-12, 05:46 PM
boosteddsm
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hario
reversed polarity, the easiest way to correct this is to cut the plus and minus wire that goes to the motor, fit terminals on those, so you can swap it around.
I'd rather just swap the wires in the harness, any idea how to get the terminals out of the harness? There's a small white clip that pulls out the harness but the terminals are still locked in there somehow...
Old 09-13-12, 07:07 AM
Abcz123
Driver School Candidate

I am having an issue with my passenger side door lock. If i try to lock the doors with either the key in the driver's door or the actual button door lock button (I don't have a remote fob), the passenger door will not lock or unlock. But if I use the key in the passenger door, the passenger front will lock and unlock.

Is the key lock attached to the door lock mechanically? Or does the key trigger only trigger the dock lock motors?

Thanks!

================================================================
1998 Lexus GS400
Old 09-13-12, 05:42 PM
hario
Rookie

Originally Posted by Abcz123
I am having an issue with my passenger side door lock. If i try to lock the doors with either the key in the driver's door or the actual button door lock button (I don't have a remote fob), the passenger door will not lock or unlock. But if I use the key in the passenger door, the passenger front will lock and unlock.

Is the key lock attached to the door lock mechanically? Or does the key trigger only trigger the dock lock motors?

Thanks!

1998 Lexus GS400
The key in our car is electronic except the trunk. There is no mechanical link between the key cylinder and the motor. I think you should check your door computer. Because there are two triggers for the motor, one is from the door computer, and the other is from the key cylinder. Obviously, the one from the computer did not work.
Old 09-13-12, 07:16 PM
Abcz123
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hario
The key in our car is electronic except the trunk. There is no mechanical link between the key cylinder and the motor. I think you should check your door computer. Because there are two triggers for the motor, one is from the door computer, and the other is from the key cylinder. Obviously, the one from the computer did not work.
Thanks for the info Hario!! I will check this out.
Old 09-16-12, 04:29 PM
DejaVu02
Driver School Candidate

This is a great DIY! Wish I had it when I first had my car. I eventually figured it out but this would have helped a lot.
Old 10-05-12, 01:38 PM
Dhilleshie
Driver School Candidate

Default Door Lock actuators

I have a 2002 GS 300 and the drivers door and both rear door lock actuators went bad. Is there a reason the part store only sells the rear pass side actuator?
Old 10-07-12, 07:39 AM
QAH
Driver School Candidate

Huge thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread. I fixed mine yesterday and it works like new! My only advice... spend the $10 for a micro gear puller tool. I managed to pry the gear off the old motor through other means, but spent the next 20 minutes hunting around my driveway after it went flying!

FWIW, the DIY video on youtube is pretty helpful, too.
Old 10-10-12, 09:16 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 74 Posts

Anyone in the Houston area willing to do this for me? Of course with pay.
Old 10-14-12, 08:41 PM
CVTDesigns
Driver School Candidate

cool
Old 10-15-12, 11:55 AM
SDGSPW
Rookie

Originally Posted by Abcz123

Thanks!

1998 Lexus GS400
It sounds like you have a bad passenger side actuator. Turning the key on the passenger lock cylinder will lock that door. The actuator is controled by the lock switches on the inside armrests (not the one by the inner door handle).
Old 10-21-12, 04:03 PM
GHSER7
Lead Lap

Awesome DIY!!! Tackled my pass rear today, took less than 1hr and a half. My biggest problem was getting the assembly out. Ended up taking the outside door handle out, made it much easier! Took less than 5 mins to get everything back in and bolted up.

Lock works like a charm now!

Quick Reply: Door Lock Acutuators DIY ???