GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Door Lock Acutuators DIY ???

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-12, 11:41 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks a lot. I tried doing that as well lifting the handle while trying to yank it out but no dice. Probably cause I was doing it by myself, i'll ask the girlfriend next time to help me out.

^ One time I was cleaning the glue off headlights while doing a retrofit with a xacto knife.. Hoho next then i know the blade is halfway through my thumb, cant feel it or move it.

Never pull towards always push away from body!
Old 05-02-12, 11:55 AM
13loody
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the write up and the youtube video. I just finished replacing the front passenger door motor.

As people have said before, you don't need to remove the window as long as you leave it rolled up all the way.

I used a gear puller as well available at any hobby store or amazon. You don't need to, but it was much simpler and relatively cheap enough (especially if you end up having to do this again later on).

Unfortunately, my housing didn't hold up too well. I did learn that if you pry the plastic from inside out, it would break the glue easier than trying to go from outside in. That of course means getting in first and unfortunately most likely cracking or breaking off a piece. I simply superglued it back together afterwards. I was surprised that the housing has a channel and that the plastic was so soft.

Good luck!
Old 05-02-12, 01:34 PM
ProfesrLEX
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How did you pry the plastic from the inside out? what part did you break to get to the inside to pry it open?
Originally Posted by 13loody
Thank you for the write up and the youtube video. I just finished replacing the front passenger door motor.

As people have said before, you don't need to remove the window as long as you leave it rolled up all the way.

I used a gear puller as well available at any hobby store or amazon. You don't need to, but it was much simpler and relatively cheap enough (especially if you end up having to do this again later on).

Unfortunately, my housing didn't hold up too well. I did learn that if you pry the plastic from inside out, it would break the glue easier than trying to go from outside in. That of course means getting in first and unfortunately most likely cracking or breaking off a piece. I simply superglued it back together afterwards. I was surprised that the housing has a channel and that the plastic was so soft.

Good luck!
Old 05-03-12, 12:53 AM
13loody
Pole Position

If I were to do it again, I would drill a small hole on the bottom side of the housing when installed in the door. Then use a small (ie. electronics/eyeglass) screwdriver to slide into the case and pry the cap upwards while sliding it sideways (outwards). Afterwards, just tape or plug the hole with whatever weather resistant stuff you have lying around.

There's no telling how strong your plastic housing or the glue is. That's why I said good luck!
Old 05-03-12, 10:51 PM
ProfesrLEX
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 13loody
If I were to do it again, I would drill a small hole on the bottom side of the housing when installed in the door. Then use a small (ie. electronics/eyeglass) screwdriver to slide into the case and pry the cap upwards while sliding it sideways (outwards). Afterwards, just tape or plug the hole with whatever weather resistant stuff you have lying around.

There's no telling how strong your plastic housing or the glue is. That's why I said good luck!
Oh, be warned, the plastic housing and glue together an indomitable fortress! Thanks for the tip though. After my install a few days ago, i hear a slight clunking noise when i lock my door on that side now . hope i dont have to go back in there.
Old 05-07-12, 06:36 AM
gbreezer80
Driver School Candidate

The best way for me to remove the plastic top from the actuator housing was with a Dremel. While a little more plastic was removed, it really didn't matter since I used epoxy all around the edges after I replaced the motor. This approached worked perfectly for all four motor replacements - front/rears! Just don't apply too much epoxy where it could get inside the housing and glue the gears - use a toothpick and spread evenly. Good luck.
Old 05-16-12, 08:17 AM
HeavycGS
Driver School Candidate

Smile I would love theae pics.

Originally Posted by TRD911
I have edited this because there has been several questions about finding these motors on EBAY. The seller's name is tag16c and if you are looking for the motors a good place to start your search is "Mabuchi" the part number that we have been using FC 280PT-22125 If you go to Mabuchi website you can also see there are several other that will work but they want you buy quantities that are high, like 10K, there only like 30 cents a piece. I have attached a picture from tag16c 's auction I do not think he would mind. When I look for the auction I start by typing in Mabuchi then look for that picture below that I posted. I hope this helps. I know that this DIY takes a lot of different turns and it can be hard to follow. I have about 10 motors as spares... I hope this helps.

I did my drivers side door lock actuator today. I took several pics. Would anyone be interested in a small write up with several pics? I would hate to invest time in a topic no one would be interested in. Any comments. Do you guys wanna see my pics? I have never done a DIY but I did it myself and it was not toooooo bad. Feedback will help motivate me. Thanks, B
I would love some pics. My passenger side only works once in a while.
Old 05-16-12, 08:11 PM
Phantom300
Rookie

^^side door lock doesn't work properly anymore. I guess I can remove and clean them and hope that will fix it.
Old 05-16-12, 08:25 PM
dhauter
Driver School Candidate

Does anybody know if the lock motor assembly's are the same for the fron and rear doors? The reason that i ask is that Sewell has just the lock motors available. I replaced my rear doors already, but you cant buy them only for the fronts. FYI the motors are only $85 from sewell. Not as cheap as just the motors, but if you did like i did and destroyed the case trying to replace the motor its a much better alternative to the whole assembly
Old 05-17-12, 07:15 PM
amdspitfir
Driver School Candidate

Well I took apart the actuator, took out the little motor and disassembled the motor.

There was a lot of crud inside of the motor from the brushes’ wearing down. Cleaned it up with compressed air, lightly sanded the contacts to and put everything back together. Door lock works like new with 0 issues.
Old 05-17-12, 11:14 PM
ProfesrLEX
Lead Lap

anyone have a loud locking and unlocking sound from the mechanism after replacing. Im guessing its just cuz the motor is new and uber powerful. Also have had some issues with the key fob not working after the motor replacement. wondering if this is a common thing?
Old 05-21-12, 06:03 AM
HeavycGS
Driver School Candidate

Default Sweet

Originally Posted by amdspitfir
Well I took apart the actuator, took out the little motor and disassembled the motor.

There was a lot of crud inside of the motor from the brushes’ wearing down. Cleaned it up with compressed air, lightly sanded the contacts to and put everything back together. Door lock works like new with 0 issues.
Thats awesome. I will have to try that with mine. Passenger side only works once in a while. Thx for the info. Heavycgs
Old 05-29-12, 10:53 AM
wheelwh0re
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey guys, I just did my passenger front door, and I had the same issues as most on this thread:

1.) Plastic housing wass IMPOSSIBLE to take apart without doing some kind of damage.
Solution: TAKE YOUR TIME. You need to reseal the two halves to prevent the gear lube from leaking out (and to prevent the motor from moving around), so the more you keep in tact the better. I found it was easiest to use an xacto knife on the seam next to the motor itself. Scrape away enough to be able to get a small flathead screwdriver in, and gently pry the two halves. As the two halves start to split, slowly work the screwdriver around until you have both halves apart. You might need to the whole xacto/screwdriver thing on the opposite side because I did. Sorry I don't have any pics of this. If I was to do it all over again, i'd probably use this method or try my hands at the dremel like another member did.

2.) Removing the coupler from the motor - Mine was stuck and would not come out with a vise/pliers. Not wanting to crack the coupler like some have done, I ponied up the $13 to buy this:

http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php...r-pinions.html

My location had two size ranges to pick from, and I went with the smallest of the two (1mm-2.5mm I think, kit comes with 3 dowels or whatever you call them). This works like a mini gear puller; just make sure to take your time to line everything up right before you starting cranking, or else you might bend the dowel.

I hope this helps the next person, because its so nice not having to run to the other side of the car to manually lock it.

Ryan
Old 06-02-12, 08:02 AM
Phantom300
Rookie

Hey did anyone have a hard time removing the whole actuator assembly out of the door?
I removed the 3 T30 screws and trying to remove the assembly but it seems like the vertical roller bar is in the way. Did you have to take out the vertical roller bar for the windows?
Old 06-02-12, 02:13 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

^ You loosen that bolt and just push it out of the way. Granted you have your window all the way up. Be careful though when removing the actuator if the silver rod is pushed down too long the window will automatically come down I believe.

Quick Reply: Door Lock Acutuators DIY ???