Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Apple Maps vs Google Maps while you drive?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-19, 02:57 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
do you use facebook or linkedin?
No LinkedIn. I do have a FB account, but it is not with full details. Some pics only. Read family member stuff. . But no FB app on phone. Sometimes FB messenger

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 06-10-19 at 03:01 PM.
Old 06-27-19, 06:14 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/06/26/us/...www.cnn.com%2F

I am now Google Maps free.
Old 06-27-19, 06:46 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
This is HILARIOUS. Waze once took me (and the 10 cars in front of me) through a closed off construction zone (workers were gone for the day) where there was just enough room to squeeze by the barricades with "ROAD CLOSED" signs.

#MachinesRiseUp

Last edited by tex2670; 06-27-19 at 06:49 AM.
Old 06-27-19, 06:49 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
This is HILARIOUS. Waze once took me (and the 10 cars in front of me) through a closed off construction zone (workers were gone for the day) where there was just enough room to squeeze by the barricades with "ROAD CLOSED" signs.

Exactly. And this is one of several reasons why we probably aren't going to see completely hands-free driving perfected any time soon.
Old 06-27-19, 12:42 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Is the quoted article and your statement that you now no longer use Google Maps related -- did you base your final decision on the fact that a large group of human lemmings followed Google Maps into a farmer's field?

I hope not.

I say that because Maps is just a computer application designed by human beings and we seem to forget the those old rules of thumb: "garbage in, garbage out", "caveat emptor" and "use at your own risk". I highly doubt that there is a mapping and navigation tool (Apple Maps or Garmin or TomTom) that will guarantee that it will never lead you astray.

If, however, you made the decision to stop using Google Maps with no influence from human lemmings stories, good for you!
Old 06-27-19, 02:21 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

My Apple Maps has screwed up once. Wanted to go to a plaza for some shopping, took to a dead-end street adjacent to the plaza. Never really had any mapping issues with Google other than it often thinks I am not on the highway if drive in the right hand lane close to a service road and vice versa, it thinks I am on the highway if I am driving on the service road.

#MachinesRiseUp
Old 06-27-19, 04:49 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Old 09-14-19, 06:58 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Been using Apple maps exclusively now for months. I do not miss Google at all

That said, traffic rerouting options do appear on Apple maps. And so does real traffic flow. I get no ads on my Apple TV or You Tube or anything from wherever I have been on Apple maps.
Old 09-14-19, 09:59 AM
Dmaxdmax
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

IMHO:
Waze has the best time estimation and ***worst*** interface. I use it for highway driving where I am more concerned with speed traps and hazards than directions. I wish it would give me a green number indicating how far I’m below the limit and a red for above. I don’t need to know 58, I need to know +3. Or +13.

Apple vs Google - I don’t know yet since I have a new phone mount and will be getting a new sized phone. I care most about seeing the map and turn info at the quickest glance possible. Living and lost beats knowing exactly where I need an ambulance.

I really wish any of them would tell me if my turn was at the next light.
Old 09-14-19, 10:04 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Dmaxdmax
IMHO:
Waze has the best time estimation and ***worst*** interface. I use it for highway driving where I am more concerned with speed traps and hazards than directions.
I wish Google would just merge Waze and Google Maps. Take the maps, interface, and alternate route suggestions from Google Maps, and add the data reporting features from Waze, all in one app. I don't understand why they haven't done this. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old 09-14-19, 10:14 AM
Dmaxdmax
Intermediate

I wish Google would just merge Waze and Google Maps. Take the maps, interface, and alternate route suggestions from Google Maps, and add the data reporting features from Waze, all in one app. I don't understand why they haven't done this. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Waze has ads. Does google?

Alternate route options is great on Waze. Touch the bottom of the map at a red light and a button pops up to show 3 choices based on your current position.

Last edited by Dmaxdmax; 09-14-19 at 10:18 AM.
Old 09-14-19, 11:01 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

IMHO:

I really wish any of them would tell me if my turn was at the next light.
Apple maps tells you if you are turning left or right at the next intersection.
Old 09-14-19, 11:52 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Waze has ads. Does google?

Alternate route options is great on Waze. Touch the bottom of the map at a red light and a button pops up to show 3 choices based on your current position.
Google Maps alternates is better than that. It will show alternate routes at intersections with an arrow stating "5 Minutes Faster", or "Similar ETA". You don't need to tap an icon to activate this. I don't want to wait till I'm at a red light to remember to constantly check other options.
Old 09-14-19, 12:12 PM
Dmaxdmax
Intermediate

Google Maps alternates is better than that. It will show alternate routes at intersections with an arrow stating "5 Minutes Faster", or "Similar ETA". You don't need to tap an icon to activate this. I don't want to wait till I'm at a red light to remember to constantly check other options.
I frequently do a manual search for other routes in my metro area where the calculated ETA isn’t my main concern. Sometimes I’d rather drive an extra mile for 3 minutes to avoid a dense area or to bypass a left turn that the software doesn’t know to avoid.

Another case came up where I wanted to take the 55mph Highway that runs parallel to the 65mph interstate. I hate I-40 but at every exit the software tried to convince me to take it.
Old 09-14-19, 12:13 PM
Dmaxdmax
Intermediate

Apple maps tells you if you are turning left or right at the next intersection.
I like that but I’m hoping for turn at the second light, etc.

Quick Reply: Apple Maps vs Google Maps while you drive?