Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Apple Maps vs Google Maps while you drive?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-19, 05:04 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
Your knee-jerk reaction every time I post something is to disagree. That is rude and no way to continue a civilized discussion.

It has become obvious to me that when you do not understand someone, your knee-jerk reaction is to accuse the person of being wrong or rude.
So let’s move on and leave the personal commentary out of it. I look forward your response of what I did not agree with what you said.
Old 05-23-19, 05:56 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Used Apple Maps years ago. Use Google Maps right now. A lot of people seem to like Waze.
Old 05-23-19, 06:24 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
A lot of people seem to like Waze.
My brother uses Waze a lot. I wonder if it really works better
Old 05-23-19, 06:32 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
My brother uses Waze a lot. I wonder if it really works better
I don't know if it works better, but it does offer law enforcement speed trap locations
Old 05-23-19, 07:04 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

So out of interest for those who care. You can download TomTom maps to your phone. No data connection is needed as it will work. The US/Can map takes about 6gb of storage. My iPhone has so much empty storage, I think it is worth having it. Unlike the Google maps app, there is no option for the TomTom app to "always" work at all times. Out of more interest, Apple Maps is powered by TomTom. Go figure.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 05-23-19 at 07:11 PM.
Old 05-23-19, 07:05 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

google maps is better, google literally owns waze so why would they allow the 'google' product to be inferior... i also just prefer the google interface, i really liked the iOS 5 apple maps which was google maps before apple decided to make their own thing and ruin stuff

and the trusty valentine V1 is all that's needed for speed trap protection
Old 05-24-19, 05:52 AM
Benoit
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

what does a closed firewall mean? How does it apply to this discussion?
It means that every programm or sub programm running on the android system must pass a firewall that will block it and a warning is sent to the user.

In this old testing, I was interested to know how the program manages to communicate with third parties. This was such a chaos that I aborted the tests after less than 3 months, the phone became too much to handle. But in this time, it was interesting to see that making a research on an android based system, was opening a direct connection with an uninteded third party. For example, you searched a salad, starbucks was looking how you where searching at this salad. I wanted to know when the hospital was opened, and a (shady looking) vacuum cleaner company was directly connecting to my search. You made a travel to a post office, "gov.us" was interested in that. And that goes on and on. But russians, NC and chinese based adresses where also interested at many of my actions and activities. In general, my opinion is that an android based system is a wonderful gateway in your private life.

For the OSx systems, I'm kind of puzzled. Because the brand is communicating all about "encription" and "respect of the privacy". At the other side, some security relevant gaps are there since Osx Tiger.

And the reason why I'm bringing that up is because the broader public seem to be willing to connect those obviously flawed mass consumer systems to their cars.
Old 05-24-19, 06:20 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Benoit
It means that every programm or sub programm running on the android system must pass a firewall that will block it and a warning is sent to the user.

In this old testing, I was interested to know how the program manages to communicate with third parties. This was such a chaos that I aborted the tests after less than 3 months, the phone became too much to handle. But in this time, it was interesting to see that making a research on an android based system, was opening a direct connection with an uninteded third party. For example, you searched a salad, starbucks was looking how you where searching at this salad. I wanted to know when the hospital was opened, and a (shady looking) vacuum cleaner company was directly connecting to my search. You made a travel to a post office, "gov.us" was interested in that. And that goes on and on. But russians, NC and chinese based adresses where also interested at many of my actions and activities. In general, my opinion is that an android based system is a wonderful gateway in your private life.

For the OSx systems, I'm kind of puzzled. Because the brand is communicating all about "encription" and "respect of the privacy". At the other side, some security relevant gaps are there since Osx Tiger.

And the reason why I'm bringing that up is because the broader public seem to be willing to connect those obviously flawed mass consumer systems to their cars.
Are you suggesting that Apple is not as private as some (like myself) would think?
Old 05-24-19, 08:02 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

So out of interest for those who care. You can download TomTom maps to your phone. No data connection is needed as it will work. The US/Can map takes about 6gb of storage. My iPhone has so much empty storage, I think it is worth having it. Unlike the Google maps app, there is no option for the TomTom app to "always" work at all times. Out of more interest, Apple Maps is powered by TomTom. Go figure.
The question about TomTom, or any other map app or service, is how good is the traffic data? Except for the early generations of Apple Maps, any GPS will get you to your destination. But given how Google sources traffic data, I just think their products are really hard to beat in this area. I'd rather have Google collecting my data and steering me around traffic jams, than use TomTom and be stuck in traffic.
Old 05-24-19, 08:05 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Stroock639
google maps is better, google literally owns waze so why would they allow the 'google' product to be inferior... i also just prefer the google interface, i really liked the iOS 5 apple maps which was google maps before apple decided to make their own thing and ruin stuff

and the trusty valentine V1 is all that's needed for speed trap protection
But Google Maps is, by design, inferior to Waze because Google Maps doesn't have crowd sourced data. Google Maps doesn't tell you to watch out for a pothole in the road, or police, or road kill.

The graphics and interface on Google Maps is better, along with the ability to change to alternate routes on the fly, IMO, but the info provided in Waze is superior.
Old 05-24-19, 09:08 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
The question about TomTom, or any other map app or service, is how good is the traffic data? Except for the early generations of Apple Maps, any GPS will get you to your destination. But given how Google sources traffic data, I just think their products are really hard to beat in this area. I'd rather have Google collecting my data and steering me around traffic jams, than use TomTom and be stuck in traffic.
TomTom does show traffic data. So does Apple Maps. How good they are compared to Google? I am not sure but I would assume Google is better, but how does one measure that? From my experience, Apple maps seems to be less sensitive to mild traffic slowdowns compared to Google
Old 05-24-19, 09:13 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Google Maps doesn't tell you to watch out for a pothole in the road, or police, or road kill..
How does one just rely on this info? So if there is no police logo on the map on Waze, does one just speed through
Old 05-24-19, 10:14 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

How does one just rely on this info? So if there is no police logo on the map on Waze, does one just speed through
You adhere to it, or you don't. If I get an audible alert, I look down and see a police logo. If I'm moving with the speed of traffic, I keep doing so. If I'm all alone, I slow down until I get past the spot where there was a reported cop. Maybe the cop is still there, maybe not.

If there's no alert, I drive the way I would normally drive.

You use the information as you desire.
Old 05-24-19, 10:17 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

You adhere to it, or you don't. If I get an audible alert, I look down and see a police logo. If I'm moving with the speed of traffic, I keep doing so. If I'm all alone, I slow down until I get past the spot where there was a reported cop. Maybe the cop is still there, maybe not.

If there's no alert, I drive the way I would normally drive.

You use the information as you desire.
I see what you mean. I tried Waze, I didn’t really like it (data thing aside). How accurate did you find it?
Old 05-24-19, 10:30 AM
Zmon
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

I think Waze will be on the chopping block within the next couple years. Google has been subtly adding some of its functionality into Google Maps lately. I've got a V1 for speed traps, as long as they're not lasering anyways.

As for the original question... Google Maps just seems like a much better, more fleshed out product vs Apple Maps. I've had the Apple Maps app uninstalled for quite a while now since I felt it was just a inferior product. Maybe I'll give it another look when iOS 13 releases.

Quick Reply: Apple Maps vs Google Maps while you drive?