Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Apple Maps vs Google Maps while you drive?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-19, 10:35 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I see what you mean. I tried Waze, I didn’t really like it (data thing aside). How accurate did you find it?
It's usually dead on. I have seen it, on a few rare occasions, not have road closures logged--either for construction or downed trees. But most of the time, it's extremely accurate, and my arrival time doesn't budge a minute.
Old 05-24-19, 11:59 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 709 Likes on 444 Posts

How does one just rely on this info? So if there is no police logo on the map on Waze, does one just speed through
Waze uses crowdsourcing, and because it has a very large number of users then it has remarkably accurate and up to the minute information about conditions ahead of you. If traffic ahead slows, an object in the road, a vehicle on the shoulder or police in traffic/parked and watching then it's more likely than not, on a reasonably active road, that someone ahead of you has spotted and reported it. Being aware is huge, as is the ability to reroute. You still need to exercise caution and due diligence, someone has to be the first to encounter something reportable and then then report it, but Waze is easily the best at delivering valuable up to the minute information in my experience. If you speed through on any piece of road you will do so at your own peril, but chances are you'll get a heads up if there is something ahead you need to be aware of. The Waze user interface isn't the best, but the functionality, for now, can't be beat.
Old 05-25-19, 06:36 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Dmaxdmax
Any opinions on which is easier to read at dashboard mount distance? I love Waze but hate the look so only use it when a passenger can tell me where to turn.

It may influence which phone to get the next time I upgrade. Will a bigger screen make it easier to use or just provide a larger map area.
I have been trying both back to back. I believe the white on black lane directions for Apple seem to be easier to read than the white in green lane directions for Google. I also think the Apple design is more minimalistic, for example I at am appointment today and the highway was telling “401” in about 5 places on the maps whereas the Apple map just said on-401 once. The Apple maps shows the intersection configuration on non highway streets and finally building are shown in the Apple maps that make it easier to find the location whereas I don’t seem to see building in Google, it just shows a dot.
Old 05-25-19, 07:16 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,494 Likes on 1,639 Posts

^^^ about user interface “while you drive” (per thread title), on an android phone you can use the Android Auto app (even if your car doesn’t have the feature) and the phone provides the simplified user interface more appropriate for use while driving (assume if you place your phone somewhere visible). Of course on apple iphone you don’t have android auto but since the vast majority of people use android, for them this whole comparison of regular google maps vs apple maps is irrelevant.

about apple maps, it certainly has improved a lot in the last few years... nice job apple.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 05-25-19 at 07:23 AM.
Old 05-25-19, 07:39 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
^^^ about user interface “while you drive” (per thread title), on an android phone you can use the Android Auto app (even if your car doesn’t have the feature) and the phone provides the simplified user interface more appropriate for use while driving (assume if you place your phone somewhere visible). Of course on apple iphone you don’t have android auto but since the vast majority of people use android, for them this whole comparison of regular google maps vs apple maps is irrelevant.

about apple maps, it certainly has improved a lot in the last few years... nice job apple.
Thanks for pointing out Android Auto just on the phone. I think the comparison is relevant for those who use Apple phones, for Android users, I guess it’s pointless for them. . I don’t think Android Auto in the Google Maps is possible for IPhone.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 05-25-19 at 07:43 AM.
Old 06-08-19, 01:52 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Wondering what people use. I have started to slowly remove myself from the Google world. I have come to learn how they collect so much data on you and its more the advertising across different platforms is what I find concerning, for example we were retirement house hunting recently in Virginia Beach, Charleston and Savannah and were using Zillow, then Google maps to do some searching. Always, a few days later, across laptop and You Tube on Apple TV, I am starting to see home search advertising in some of these areas and locations. I moved form Google Nexus to a iPhone over a year back. Google still has a place, but I am not sure I want them knowing everything where I drive to then to be cross-linked to Google search engines from other devices etc etc.

So, I have been slowly moving towards Apple Maps and have been using it as the default map systems when getting around doing some quick searches while driving. Pleasantly surprised, it is different however I do like it. About to delete Google Maps for good

Your experiences?
May be wishful thinking, but Apple may be getting closer to Google Maps with the new iOS:

https://www.businessinsider.com/appl...le-maps-2019-6
Old 06-09-19, 07:47 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
May be wishful thinking, but Apple may be getting closer to Google Maps with the new iOS:

https://www.businessinsider.com/appl...le-maps-2019-6
We shall see I guess. My Apple Maps royally messed up today.
Old 06-10-19, 12:45 AM
Lead Lap

Received 791 Likes on 537 Posts

Here maps beats them both with as nav
Old 06-10-19, 06:52 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

7 reasons for apple maps over google if you're deep in the i-mode...

https://www.idropnews.com/news/7-rea...aze/107185/10/
Old 06-10-19, 08:32 AM
Dmaxdmax
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I go back and forth but there are 2 killer features which could win my loyalty:

Turn left at the light. Or stop sign. Or McDonalds

Enter your target mph above the limit (4 on local roads, 9 on highway for me) and have the screen flash dramatically if you exceed the speed limit plus your factor. Waze telling you if you're over is a nice start but I have a terrible time trying to see if I'm one or 20 miles over. I don't need the app to tell me that I'm going 38 -- I have a speedometer.
Old 06-10-19, 11:03 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 703
Here maps beats them both with as nav
interesting, didn't know about 'here' (https://wego.here.com) which was formerly known as Navteq and part of Nokia for a while...

navteq and teledata provided ALL the nav data in cars and other applications for decades before google, apple, and microsoft crashed the party. google used (maybe still uses) navteq and teledata data for years.
Old 06-10-19, 01:09 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
7 reasons for apple maps over google if you're deep in the i-mode...

https://www.idropnews.com/news/7-rea...aze/107185/10/
These 7 "reasons" really seem to contain one valid reason: privacy.

Because "It doesn't totally suck anymore" doesn't really seem to be a good reason. Nor does the Apple Watch interface, unless you are walking. Not sure what the other 4 "reasons" really get me.
Old 06-10-19, 01:13 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
These 7 "reasons" really seem to contain one valid reason: privacy.
The privacy reason is the big reason for me. I am trying to remove myself from the google world the best I can.
Old 06-10-19, 02:19 PM
mnguyen072
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Waze

I’ve always used Waze regardless of vehicle. Waze, although owned by Google, is better than Google Maps. Waze is its own department at Google. Google will not make changes to it because even Google admits how great it is, however they will integrate road reports on Waze into Google Maps.
Old 06-10-19, 02:51 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

The privacy reason is the big reason for me. I am trying to remove myself from the google world the best I can.
do you use facebook or linkedin?

Quick Reply: Apple Maps vs Google Maps while you drive?