Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Apple Maps vs Google Maps while you drive?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-19, 10:46 PM
Dmaxdmax
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Any opinions on which is easier to read at dashboard mount distance? I love Waze but hate the look so only use it when a passenger can tell me where to turn.

It may influence which phone to get the next time I upgrade. Will a bigger screen make it easier to use or just provide a larger map area.
Old 05-23-19, 08:18 AM
ABC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I have google maps and waze. I primarily use google maps, but use waze for longer drives to avoid speed traps.
Old 05-23-19, 10:59 AM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

That video is unsettling to say the least.
Old 05-23-19, 11:43 AM
Lead Lap

Received 793 Likes on 538 Posts

HERE maps better than both apple and google for driving. Used to be called Nokia Maps 10 years ago.

It powers VW group, Merc and BMWs and emergency services.

its funny how people only know apple and google.

Last edited by 703; 05-23-19 at 11:47 AM.
Old 05-23-19, 01:18 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,502 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Originally Posted by RX469
really? your phone has GPS (they probably didn't turn off 'location services'), motion sensors, a clock obviously, and loads more besides, so data can easily be logged, even in airplane mode. if you find it unsettling, you'll have to get a REALLY old phone now.
Old 05-23-19, 01:36 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 68 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
really? your phone has GPS (they probably didn't turn off 'location services'), motion sensors, a clock obviously, and loads more besides, so data can easily be logged, even in airplane mode. if you find it unsettling, you'll have to get a REALLY old phone now.
Whats the point of using Google Maps if your location services if "OFF" At least with Apple Maps, they don't know what you are doing. The exact reason why I am about to delete Google Maps.
Old 05-23-19, 01:40 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RX469
I agree quite a bit.
Old 05-23-19, 02:32 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Whats the point of using Google Maps if your location services if "OFF" At least with Apple Maps, they don't know what you are doing. The exact reason why I am about to delete Google Maps.
It seems you do not know how GPS navigation systems work.

The navigation system gets an absolute position equivalent to longitude and latitude coordinates (X and Y) and altitude (Z) from the GPS satellites. It then must reference that absolute position to a map.

If the navigation system is built into the car or one of those portable, aftermarket units (such as from TomTom or Garmin), the map database is already in the memory of the unit, and the appropriate map is displayed on your unit.

If, however, you are using Google Maps, Waze or Apple Maps, the GPS coordinates received from the satellites must be sent to the maps provider (Google or Apple) over the internet (via WiFi or your cellular data connection). The appropriate map corresponding to your GPS coordinates is then sent to your phone by Google or Apple and displayed on your device. The map database is not loaded into the memory of your smartphone (unless you manually download a number of maps yourself to allow for offline use if you will have no connection to the internet where you are going).

Try using Google or Apple maps in Airplane Mode (but GPS location on) and you will only see the moving blip corresponding to your GPS position on a blank screen because no map is available (unless you previously manually downloaded some maps). Providing a complete map database on your phone takes up a lot of memory. That's fine for a dedicated navigation system (TomTom or Garmin, for example) but providing the complete map database would prevent you from having other apps on your smartphone.

Because of the way navigation apps work on smartphones, Google or Apple always knows where you are. Don't fool yourself into thinking that Apple does not know what you are doing; Apple Maps would not work otherwise.
Old 05-23-19, 02:41 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sulu
It seems you do not know how GPS navigation systems work.
This comment is rude.

Google always knows where you are..
Google does not know where I am. The app location does not work in the background if you do not want it to. I do not even have to have Google Maps on my phone if I don't want to.

Apple does not know either as I have explained its set up for them to not know where I am.

Try using Google or Apple maps in Airplane Mode (but GPS location on) and you will only see the moving blip corresponding to your GPS position on a blank screen because no map is available (unless you previously manually downloaded some maps). Providing a complete map database on your phone takes up a lot of memory. That's fine for a dedicated navigation system (TomTom or Garmin, for example) but providing the complete map database would prevent you from having other apps on your smartphone..
Completely irrelevant to this discussion.

Don't fool yourself into thinking that Apple does not know what you are doing;
Apple does not know where I am going nor what I am doing. You can block a significant amount of information if you want to.

Don't fool yourself
Perhaps you are the one who is fooling themselves.

Just to show you the difference between Google Maps and Apple Maps on iPhone:

Apple Maps: impossible for the maps to work in the back ground with out the Apple Maps open (user selectable) and never
Google Maps: can work always in the back ground with the Google Map app open, or only while using. (user selectable) and never

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 05-23-19 at 02:54 PM.
Old 05-23-19, 03:59 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670

Do you use EZ Pass (or Canadian equivalent)?
I do not use EZ pass in New York area, I do pay the toll to the Thruway. I have heard that EZ pass tracks you. I am not against tracking exactly, more against Google tracking.
Old 05-23-19, 04:20 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 247 Likes on 188 Posts

I do not use EZ pass in New York area, I do pay the toll to the Thruway. I have heard that EZ pass tracks you. I am not against tracking exactly, more against Google tracking.
are you involved in any sort of racketeering?
Old 05-23-19, 04:27 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stroock639
are you involved in any sort of racketeering?
Lol. You are funny.
Old 05-23-19, 04:43 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

So you are ok with a quasi-governmental body tracking your EZ pass, but not Google?
Old 05-23-19, 04:55 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
So you are ok with a quasi-governmental body tracking your EZ pass, but not Google?
You have a choice to use EZ pass, Google maps or Apple? This is about the choice to make whether let Google track you and sell ads to you or use Apple that does not. I would be opposed 100% to an embedded EZ pass, or Google map or Waze or Apple map in your car.
Old 05-23-19, 04:57 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

This comment is rude.

Google does not know where I am. The app location does not work in the background if you do not want it to. I do not even have to have Google Maps on my phone if I don't want to.

Apple does not know either as I have explained its set up for them to not know where I am.

Completely irrelevant to this discussion.

Apple does not know where I am going nor what I am doing. You can block a significant amount of information if you want to.

Perhaps you are the one who is fooling themselves.

Just to show you the difference between Google Maps and Apple Maps on iPhone:

Apple Maps: impossible for the maps to work in the back ground with out the Apple Maps open (user selectable) and never
Google Maps: can work always in the back ground with the Google Map app open, or only while using. (user selectable) and never
Your knee-jerk reaction every time I post something is to disagree. That is rude and no way to continue a civilized discussion.

It has become obvious to me that when you do not understand someone, your knee-jerk reaction is to accuse the person of being wrong or rude.

Quick Reply: Apple Maps vs Google Maps while you drive?