Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus human interface issues and climate control discussion

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-19, 04:40 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

Non nav ES350s don't have remote touch, they have a **** type setup. That ES350 is one so basic it doesn't even have a screen interface which is super rare.

Redundant buttons negate the whole point. The point is to REDUCE the number of buttons.
Old 02-06-19, 08:36 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

We had some time to kill today. So we took some time to look at some cars at the car park. Lots of different brands available to check them out back to back.

Hard to argue with the idea that remote touch criticism world be next to absent if there were redundant buttons. Here is the Lexus ES without remote touch. I guess super rare to find. I would have nothing bad to say if they would just add a few things to keep all people happy. Was unaware you could get a Lexus ES without remote touch.
What year was that ES? Did it have a **** instead of the Remote Touch?

Old 02-06-19, 08:41 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Kira X

What year was that ES? Did it have a **** instead of the Remote Touch?

No remote. And no ****. There was nothing
Old 02-09-19, 08:55 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

So, tonight we were out for surprise party for a girlfriend and then out to see the in-laws. I thought of some of you and how you use say you let the system in auto mode just do it’s thing. So, I tried the auto mode. Anyone want to take a stab and tell if I am doing something wrong. Why would I want to have my AC on when it’s -4c outside and I want my interior set at 29c.

Pic 1. This is how I just leave it most of the time. Not at 29 of course. And in summer, I change the air flow if AC is on.

Pic 2. The moment I hit auto, AC comes on. Fan goes off. Direction changes.

Old 02-09-19, 09:02 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

You're assuming the "A/C" means "air cooling" is on, it doesn't. It means the compressor is active, which is used to de-humidify air in the system in the winter/heating mode. Thats why the auto system runs the compressor. I find when using auto mode I never have to use the defroster, thats why because the compressor dries the air out in the car. When in auto the A/C light will always be lit because the system always runs the compressor for that reason.

When you put the front defroster on it overrides auto. Thats why auto turns the defroster off. Some newer cars have a humidity sensor at the top of the windshield (my GS had one) so the auto climate control will work the front defroster too.

Thats why I've said, you don't need the button. It will only cool air when you call for cool air even in manual mode, when its not cooling the air its still de-humidifying the air.

Last edited by SW17LS; 02-09-19 at 09:06 PM.
Old 02-09-19, 09:15 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
You're assuming the "A/C" means "air cooling" is on, it doesn't. It means the compressor is active, which is used to de-humidify air in the system in the winter/heating mode. Thats why the auto system runs the compressor. I find when using auto mode I never have to use the defroster, thats why because the compressor dries the air out in the car. When in auto the A/C light will always be lit because the system always runs the compressor for that reason.

When you put the front defroster on it overrides auto. Thats why auto turns the defroster off. Some newer cars have a humidity sensor at the top of the windshield (my GS had one) so the auto climate control will work the front defroster too.

Thats why I've said, you don't need the button. It will only cool air when you call for cool air even in manual mode, when its not cooling the air its still de-humidifying the air.
ok. So that makes sense. But sometimes I have the temp at 20 in the car, like most of the day, like today, how does the AC compressor not know to not cool? Or, I like to just have fresh air coming in only, on the lo settIng. Also, when i can leave the system in auto mode when I deselect the AC button.
Old 02-09-19, 09:24 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

ok. So that makes sense. But sometimes I have the temp at 20 in the car, like most of the day, like today, how does the AC compressor not know to not cool? Or, I like to just have fresh air coming in only, on the lo settIng. Also, when i can leave the system in auto mode when I deselect the AC button.
It just knows. When in manual mode you select the temp of the air you want to come out of the vents. If that selection doesn't call for cooled air, the compressor doesn't cool the air. When its in auto mode the temp you select is the temp you want the cabin to be, and it selects whether to cool or heat to maintain that set temperature, the same way a home's thermostat does (well, most home thermostats don't select between heating and cooling, but newer ones do).

You cannot have AUTO on and A/C off. When you go to make manual adjsutments, such as turning off the A/C compressor or setting the fan speed, you override AUTO. If you have it in AUTO and the system does not need to heat or cool the air to maintain your set temp, you will have unheated and uncooled air, it will still go through the A/C compressor to be de-humidified though.
Old 02-09-19, 09:28 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

You cannot have AUTO on and A/C off. When you go to make manual adjsutments, such as turning off the A/C compressor or setting the fan speed, you override AUTO. If you have it in AUTO and the system does not need to heat or cool the air to maintain your set temp, you will have unheated and uncooled air, it will still go through the A/C compressor to be de-humidified though.
In my 4Runner, you can have AUTO on and AC off.
Old 02-10-19, 05:16 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Back in the day this was the dopest AC unit. Damn it's been 25 years ago.
Old 02-10-19, 06:33 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

In my 4Runner, you can have AUTO on and AC off.
Tried it in my car, and you're right, you can turn the A/C compressor off and leave it in AUTO, but when you do that it deactivates the smog filter (automatically selects between fresh air and recirculate).
Old 02-10-19, 06:53 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Tried it in my car, and you're right, you can turn the A/C compressor off and leave it in AUTO, but when you do that it deactivates the smog filter (automatically selects between fresh air and recirculate).
👍. Not everyone wants to use AUTO. I respect that you do, maybe your opinion would be different if you lived in a frozen climate. I personally like to just have the vent open, and cool fresh air coming in all the time.
Old 02-10-19, 06:58 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

👍. Not everyone wants to use AUTO. I respect that you do, maybe your opinion would be different if you lived in a frozen climate. I personally like to just have the vent open, and cool fresh air coming in all the time.
I'm not sure what the purpose of having it set to AUTO is if the A/C compressor is also off.

Like I said though, in a frozen climate you should try leaving the A/C compressor on to de-humidify the air.
Old 02-10-19, 07:17 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

So, tonight we were out for surprise party for a girlfriend and then out to see the in-laws. I thought of some of you and how you use say you let the system in auto mode just do it’s thing. So, I tried the auto mode. Anyone want to take a stab and tell if I am doing something wrong. Why would I want to have my AC on when it’s -4c outside and I want my interior set at 29c.

i assume you do realize that setting it to 29C (84F ) will have NO RELEVANCE since it's -4C outside and likely the temp in the car was under 10C when you got in, especially since you've fixed the fan speed.

climate control is pretty simplistic... basically this:

if inside car temp < desired temp, blow hot air as fast as allowed (auto, or set fan speed)
if inside car temp = desired temp, blow same temp air at low speed to circulate
if inside car temp > desired temp, blow cold air as fast as allowed (auto, or set fan speed)

if you set v. high or low temp and FIX the fan speed low, it will obviously take a long time if not 'forever' to get to the desired temp.

i also don't get how the lexus system allows a/c to be turned off in 'auto' mode, which in hot weather basically cripples the system as it can't reach desired temp since ambient air is likely to be too hot to cool the car.
Old 02-10-19, 07:23 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

You also wouldnt want to set the temp to 29C and have it in AUTO, you set the temp to the temp you want it to be inside the car and the system will work as quickly as it can to achieve and maintain the temp you set. I leave mine between 70-72 year round. I notice people do this, get in the car when its hot and turn the temp way down...theres no point in doing that.
Old 02-10-19, 07:29 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

You also wouldnt want to set the temp to 29C and have it in AUTO, you set the temp to the temp you want it to be inside the car and the system will work as quickly as it can to achieve and maintain the temp you set. I leave mine between 70-72 year round. I notice people do this, get in the car when its hot and turn the temp way down...theres no point in doing that.
You are assuming that everyone thinks like you. Some people do not want to use AUTO. I prefer in the summer the cold to be on non-stop, never changing from the low setting. All that has to be adjusted is the fan speed which I like to control. And the A/C button I can turn or off at will, same with the air re-circulation. The same in the winter, I prefer the setting to be around 18-19c in the car non stop, low setting with splint windshield/floor. I don't want fan speeds to change, or direction flow to change.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

i assume you do realize that setting it to 29C (84F ) will have NO RELEVANCE since it's -4C outside and likely the temp in the car was under 10C when you got in, especially since you've fixed the fan speed.

climate control is pretty simplistic... basically this:

if inside car temp < desired temp, blow hot air as fast as allowed (auto, or set fan speed)
if inside car temp = desired temp, blow same temp air at low speed to circulate
if inside car temp > desired temp, blow cold air as fast as allowed (auto, or set fan speed)

if you set v. high or low temp and FIX the fan speed low, it will obviously take a long time if not 'forever' to get to the desired temp.

i also don't get how the lexus system allows a/c to be turned off in 'auto' mode, which in hot weather basically cripples the system as it can't reach desired temp since ambient air is likely to be too hot to cool the car.
Don't read into the 29c, it was set that way before I turned on AUTO. The car was warming up outside while we were inside.

I'm not sure what the purpose of having it set to AUTO is if the A/C compressor is also off.

Like I said though, in a frozen climate you should try leaving the A/C compressor on to de-humidify the air.
Agreed, but some people just want to do things there own way. I just cannot stand the system using the air speed control on its own.

Quick Reply: Lexus human interface issues and climate control discussion