Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus human interface issues and climate control discussion

Old 01-24-19, 06:23 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Yes, but it doesn't matter because you don't plan on owning one lol
Perhaps the removal of the button could one day trickle down to lesser Lexus and Toyota models?

you don't plan on owning one
Neither do you?
Old 01-24-19, 06:33 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Perhaps the removal of the button could one day trickle down to lesser Lexus and Toyota models?

Neither do you?
I'd take an LS in a heartbeat. But lack of a physical HVAC button would not deter me. I don't mind using Remote Touch. It's not as bad as some make it out to be. To each their own
Old 01-24-19, 06:37 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I'd take an LS in a heartbeat. But lack of a physical HVAC button would not deter me. I don't mind using Remote Touch. It's not as bad as some make it out to be. To each their own
Of course. I would take a LS as well. So what is the legit justification for not having the directional airflow button? I willing to listen to a good well thought out reason. Perhaps those buying this car migh have a complete auto mode? Does the hvac have something different in the system vs a Lexus ES?

Edit, looks like the LC has that button missing as well. I understand the two top models have climate concierge, so perhaps that is their reasoning.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-24-19 at 06:46 PM.
Old 01-24-19, 06:46 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Of course. I would take a LS as well. So what is the legit justification for not having the directional airflow button? I willing to listen to a good well thought out reason. Perhaps those buying this car migh have a complete auto mode? Does the hvac have something different in the system vs a Lexus ES?
I surmise it gives the dash a more simplistic look despite making the control more complex. With the LS you can set the HVAC to be separate for driver and passenger so having a menu is probably needed vs multiple buttons. But as you mentioned most might just use AUTO. I know in my car and cars I drive, I set the HVAC to defroster/feet once and then never touch it again. So I don't need physical controls (which my IS doesn't have anyway).

Old 01-24-19, 07:00 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I know in my car and cars I drive, I set the HVAC to defroster/feet once and then never touch it again. So I don't need physical controls (which my IS doesn't have anyway).
So what happens when its 90F outside? Do you not change the airflow for AC? I do the same for winter, I leave it in the same settings as you.

It's not as bad as some make it out to be. :
I agree it's not as bad as some make, including myself. However, if one is not careful, Toyota can really pull the plug on a few things that some deem essential. It maybe minor to some, but as time goes by it gets worse. Case in point, I am old enough to remember my husbands 80s Toyota truck, drivers seat came with 10 way manual seats plus lumber and bolstering, today you get a 6 way with no height (unacceptable). Same with my 4Runner vs my mothers, they removed a few details here and there.
Old 01-24-19, 08:24 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,498 Likes on 1,801 Posts

And it doesn't matter because theres no reason to change those functions since the car just does it for you lol
Old 01-24-19, 08:36 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
And it doesn't matter because theres no reason to change those functions since the car just does it for you lol
Then why even give the option to change the flow in remote touch? Whats the reason that a 460 can change the flow with a hard button whereas you lose it in a 500?
Old 01-24-19, 08:40 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Then why even give the option to change the flow in remote touch?
I'm just picking on you at this point lol

The option is there, its just not something they intend most owners to do manually. You can only have so many buttons, so you have to prioritize what you do with buttons and what you do with the screen, and the buttons are meant to be functions most people will use, and if you look at what they pick it makes sense.

Also on the widescreen remote touch, the climate controls are just a click away, or you can use the voice commands to say "climate" and everything comes right up.

As to why the 460 can? Honestly I don't know if it can I've never tried. As design moves forward and they get feedback, they make changes. The fact that I have owned two LS460s and I couldnt even tell you if there was a hard button shows you why they removed those buttons.
Old 01-24-19, 08:45 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I'm just picking on you at this point lol
Not called for.
Old 01-24-19, 08:46 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Also on the widescreen remote touch, the climate controls are just a click away, or you can use the voice commands to say "climate" and everything comes right up.
Seems odd that the ES would include it. But not the LS. So now in the LS500, delete the fancy buttons for powered seat belts, delete the hvac flow button, remove the ease of heating your seats. Etc etc.
Old 01-24-19, 08:48 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Here are the LS460's HVAC Controls:

And the LS500s HVAC controls:

The button thats missing is that button in the middle with the defrost and the panel and floor. I've never pressed that button. According to the manual its the "Air Outlet Selector" so I would imagine it does cycle through the modes.

Old 01-24-19, 08:49 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Here are the LS460's HVAC Controls:

And the LS500s HVAC controls:

The button thats missing is that button in the middle with the defrost and the panel and floor. I've never pressed that button. According to the manual its the "Air Outlet Selector" so I would imagine it does cycle through the modes.

The moment you touch the #7 button, you take complete control of the HVAC. That to me reduces any user experience, never mind a luxury one.
Old 01-24-19, 08:51 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Not called for.
Lighten up, it was supposed to be funny. Everything doesn't have to be so serious.

Seems odd that the ES would include it. But not the LS. So now in the LS500, delete the fancy buttons for powered seat belts, delete the hvac flow button, remove the ease of heating your seats. Etc etc.
The buttons for the seatbelt anchors I agree with you, thats a cost cutting thing I miss. I also agree the heated seats should have a hard button.

The current ES does still have that button, I looked it up. Why did they remove it in the LS and not the ES? Older clientele for the ES? More room horizontally across that panel for the ES?

Old 01-24-19, 08:53 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The moment you touch the #7 button, you take complete control of the HVAC. That to me reduces any user experience, never mind a luxury one.
Yet I'm the one who's bought 4 LS sedans and you've bought none. Thats the point, I didn't even know that button existed until you pointed it out to me...so how can you say they were wrong for removing it? I'm the one who's consumer for this product...
Old 01-24-19, 08:55 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Lighten up, it was supposed to be funny. Everything doesn't have to be so serious.
With you, there is no lightening up. I will move on from responding to you in this thread

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lexus human interface issues and climate control discussion