Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus human interface issues and climate control discussion

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-19, 09:01 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,755 Likes on 1,969 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
With you, there is no lightening up. I will move on from responding to you in this thread
LOL, okay. Not everything has to be a battle to the death you know.
Old 01-25-19, 09:18 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

Watching Alex on Autos. He is doing the review for the Nw ES350. If you in-sinc the dual temps, you must go into the remote touch system to resinc. So there is no sinc button. Is he correct or is he missing something? Anyone know.

I do like how the Lexus system overlays over Apple Car Play and does not make immediately exit car play.
Old 01-26-19, 07:10 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,627 Likes on 1,037 Posts

That’s how it is on my GS - there is no sync button, only through the display. It’s not a big deal to me as it’s a function I’d never actually use. If I want both zones set to 70, I’ll just set them both to 70. No big deal to me.

Generally I just let the front passenger control his/her side anyway.
Old 01-26-19, 07:22 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDR76

Generally I just let the front passenger control his/her side anyway.
Thanks for the response. My 4Runner, once the passenger hits their temp, auto goes off. Is this the same for your GS? I appreciate the response, my comments are not to inflame anyone, I am honestly wondering where the rationale is to remove these features. Case in point today, it's -15 where I am, my window of my 4Runner is frosted, I tried to use auto, immediately the air conditioning engaged, but no windsheld air flow, had to do it manually like I always do. Turned off the AC as I do not see the reason for it being on. Am I missing something?
Old 01-26-19, 08:03 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

My GS has a humidity sensor on the windshield so it does a good job of going into defrost/defog mode while in auto. The auto system in my 4Runner didn’t have the sensor so I would have to manually set it to defrost when needed.
Old 01-26-19, 08:09 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

My GS has a humidity sensor on the windshield so it does a good job of going into defrost/defog mode while in auto. The auto system in my 4Runner didn’t have the sensor so I would have to manually set it to defrost when needed.
Do you use the hvac in the same was in your HL as you do in your GS? Set and forget?
Old 01-26-19, 08:44 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Do you use the hvac in the same was in your HL as you do in your GS? Set and forget?
Yes. Set it and forget it in both.
Old 01-26-19, 08:54 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,755 Likes on 1,969 Posts

Watching Alex on Autos. He is doing the review for the Nw ES350. If you in-sinc the dual temps, you must go into the remote touch system to resinc. So there is no sinc button. Is he correct or is he missing something? Anyone know.

I do like how the Lexus system overlays over Apple Car Play and does not make immediately exit car play.
My GS and my LS's are the same way.
Old 01-27-19, 01:00 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,642 Posts

My 4Runner, once the passenger hits their temp, auto goes off. Is this the same for your GS? I appreciate the response, my comments are not to inflame anyone, I am honestly wondering where the rationale is to remove these features. Case in point today, it's -15 where I am, my window of my 4Runner is frosted, I tried to use auto, immediately the air conditioning engaged, but no windsheld air flow, had to do it manually like I always do. Turned off the AC as I do not see the reason for it being on. Am I missing something?
i think you'd like my g90's button controls... sep things for pass and driver, even fan speed...

Old 01-27-19, 01:03 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i think you'd like my g90's button controls... sep things for pass and driver, even fan speed...

Wow. Was not aware that there were independent fans and independent auto settings. That is really taking it to the next level. AC button is there as well. The dial temp method is better than independent buttons for temp.
Old 01-27-19, 09:33 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,642 Posts

Glad to see you appreciate something about my ‘hyundai’

seriously though these guys tried really hard to get a load of it right.
Old 01-28-19, 12:31 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

I'm in a 2019 RX350 loaner right now. Brand new with only 83 miles on the clock.

When I got in it at the dealer this morning, I took a few minutes to pair up my phone, change some settings, etc. What I really discovered is how terrible the default settings are for RTI. I use it daily in my GS and think it's super easy to use, but I have that one customized much better (increased feedback/resistance, in particular). But in the RX I was overshooting left and right. Very frustrating. So for a reviewer to spend a day in one of these without changing the settings, it's very clear as to why so many of them hate the system.
Old 01-28-19, 07:46 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

I'm in a 2019 RX350 loaner right now. Brand new with only 83 miles on the clock.

When I got in it at the dealer this morning, I took a few minutes to pair up my phone, change some settings, etc. What I really discovered is how terrible the default settings are for RTI. I use it daily in my GS and think it's super easy to use, but I have that one customized much better (increased feedback/resistance, in particular). But in the RX I was overshooting left and right. Very frustrating. So for a reviewer to spend a day in one of these without changing the settings, it's very clear as to why so many of them hate the system.
it is first thing i noticed when i tried RTI long time ago... i dont think why they set it so sensitive - sure once you are used to it, it is the best setting, but it should not be "demo" setting... first thing i did was change it, but i doubt others will know how to when just testing the car.
Old 01-29-19, 08:34 AM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,895 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
it is first thing i noticed when i tried RTI long time ago... i dont think why they set it so sensitive - sure once you are used to it, it is the best setting, but it should not be "demo" setting... first thing i did was change it, but i doubt others will know how to when just testing the car.
I think someone at Lexus assumes everyone is super-gentle with how they handle their vehicles. I think most people, in reality, are more rough and forceful with car controls. I mean they are trying to do something while driving - so it's understandable.

I agree with JDR76, as I have adjusted the settings in my IS quite a bit over time to the point where it's much easier to use now, for my personal taste anyway. I still can't with the touchpad...
Old 02-05-19, 04:34 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 703

It wasn't that long ago where Lexus made technology that was relatively easy to use. But for the last 5 years, they can't seem to get away from the stupid laptop style track-pad?

The trackpad and confusing menu system is doing opposite of their 'philosophy' highlighted above.

We had some time to kill today. So we took some time to look at some cars at the car park. Lots of different brands available to check them out back to back.

Hard to argue with the idea that remote touch criticism world be next to absent if there were redundant buttons. Here is the Lexus ES without remote touch. I guess super rare to find. I would have nothing bad to say if they would just add a few things to keep all people happy. Was unaware you could get a Lexus ES without remote touch.

Quick Reply: Lexus human interface issues and climate control discussion