Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW G20 3 Series

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-18, 06:53 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

It looks good!
Old 10-01-18, 08:09 PM
madmax2k1
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Looks extremely bland; not much of an improvement over the F30.
Old 10-01-18, 09:50 PM
Frog98
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

Looks nice to me.
Old 10-01-18, 10:07 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

No more than a facelift and new interior. Really going to be unexciting about a year after release.
Second, the rear side window glass space is absolutely HUGE! Has anyone ever seen anything bigger on a different car? Maybe on an SUV or station wagon. Looks ridiculously homely for a sports sedan. There needs to be more pillar, more heft, and more visual strength.
Still not keen on BMW's ancient grille design. It's holding the company back from being progressive, fresh, and modern. We've seen this same grille for forty years now. Yeah, we get it... it's a trademark BMW front. Now think of something new and run with it like everyone else has. It's called progressing forward. Yawn
Yes, the rear lights are pure RC. That jumped out immediately. Last few BMW redo's have gone very asian in back. Interesting trend.
Old 10-01-18, 11:21 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
Hopefully they keep their promise of making the G20 drive well. I mean anything will drive better than the F30, but they really need to get back to their roots from a handling perspective. I highly doubt that LED headlights will be standard. They might be a relatively inexpensive (<$1000) option--like HIDs were a $500 option on my E46--but they won't be standard until the LCI. BMW loves to hold stuff back for the mid-cycle refresh, even things that were standard on the prior model. Look at LED taillights, for example. Standard on E46 LCI, not available on E90 at release. Standard on E90 LCI, not available on F30 at launch. Standard on F30 LCI. Three generations in a row they've added, removed, and re-added the same feature

I further assume that the laser headlights won't be available at all, as every kind of cool headlight tech seems to be illegal in the US.
+1 Geko. Thanks for bringing this up.

After further research - you are right. The laser headlights are illegal in the US along with Mercedes Benz's digital headlights. Every cool headlight is banned in the USA due to outdated regulations. I just wasn't sure if lasers were included.

Based off of that. We can either see BMW do two things.
1) Make LED standard but have two headlamp designs. A standard design and a premium design. Like the 2019 C-Class where LED is standard but you pay extra for the adaptive lighting housing with a better design.
2) Or they stick with the F30 business plan and make halogen standard and LED an optional extra.

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
No more than a facelift and new interior. Really going to be unexciting about a year after release.
Second, the rear side window glass space is absolutely HUGE! Has anyone ever seen anything bigger on a different car? Maybe on an SUV or station wagon. Looks ridiculously homely for a sports sedan. There needs to be more pillar, more heft, and more visual strength.
Still not keen on BMW's ancient grille design. It's holding the company back from being progressive, fresh, and modern. We've seen this same grille for forty years now. Yeah, we get it... it's a trademark BMW front. Now think of something new and run with it like everyone else has. It's called progressing forward. Yawn
Yes, the rear lights are pure RC. That jumped out immediately. Last few BMW redo's have gone very asian in back. Interesting trend.
I would argue its more of a facelift exterior and even a "facelift" interior as well. The interior didn't change too much - I would consider it also a facelift interior as well. Some people love that BMW keeps their design relatively similar and some people hate it. I'm one of the people that hate it - I think BMW could change up the design language a bit more. But I do also think this G20 looks pretty good regardless of how conservative the design has been.
Old 10-02-18, 02:11 AM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks good enough.

It now has the same wheelbase as the Lexus GS.
Gives it good proportions.

now just over 185" long makes it a tweener size.

I like how the sheet metal bulges out over the rear wheels. Makes it look sporty

It's funny how bmw is doing a lot of stuff lexus used to do.
Now the hood goes all the way to the grille rather than a stupid hood gap that lexus adopted from bmw.
Bmw has also gone back to touch screens, whereas lexus is sticking with remote touch.
Old 10-02-18, 02:56 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by BippuLexus
Based off of that. We can either see BMW do two things.
1) Make LED standard but have two headlamp designs. A standard design and a premium design. Like the 2019 C-Class where LED is standard but you pay extra for the adaptive lighting housing with a better design.
2) Or they stick with the F30 business plan and make halogen standard and LED an optional extra.
I think there's a third option: HIDs could be standard and LEDs optional. I think that's more likely than your #1, but I'd put my money on your #2 being what we see at launch.
Old 10-02-18, 05:52 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,507 Likes on 1,805 Posts

Some videos are trickling in now!

Old 10-02-18, 05:57 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I like how the hood meets the kidney grilles, as opposed to being a totally straight edge. It would be curious how these cars actually drive. The cars are very bland today but they are what they are. People love BMW like they love Apple. It's very difficult to get into that position. My theory is that co's like these will always be able to put out something decent and will never fall like Rome, just too much going against that happening. But they do produce duds, like the 328/330/335/340 F30s, or iPhone 8.
Old 10-02-18, 08:02 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

After further research - you are right. The laser headlights are illegal in the US along with Mercedes Benz's digital headlights. Every cool headlight is banned in the USA due to outdated regulations. I just wasn't sure if lasers were included.
LED lighting is standard, and adapted-for-the-U.S. laser high-beams are available.
I'm curious what they did to the laser lights to get them to the US. Or maybe there's a loophole here by only using them on the high beams. Not sure.

Source
Old 10-02-18, 08:43 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,076 Likes on 1,567 Posts

It apparently handles as good as the Giulia (clear class leader) in terms of capability, but more refined. BMW went all out on the chassys/dynamics engineering of this new model, apparently. A response to the criticism of the F30. An already light car lost even more weight too. Like a lot of weight. So it should drive nicely.

The design is pretty good I'd say. I do wish the front was a tad more conservative. Wonder how the MTECH bumper will look.

Can't wait for the coupe too...
Old 10-02-18, 08:55 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,704 Likes on 2,289 Posts

I think the front of the car looks terrible.
Old 10-02-18, 09:16 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Agreed. That was the biggest problem from the F30 generation of cars and the current generation of the IS is that LED isn't standard. Its outrageous in my opinion considering "LED lights" isn't even luxury. LEDs are extremely cheap.
LED headlights have been standard on the IS since MY 2017.
Old 10-02-18, 09:39 AM
john341
Pole Position

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
An already light car lost even more weight too. Like a lot of weight. So it should drive nicely.

The design is pretty good I'd say. I do wish the front was a tad more conservative. Wonder how the MTECH bumper will look.
I will not trust those weight #. Some one need to Weigh them on the road. I can guarantee that these cars will be heavier in real life than the last generation. Germans are good at marketing by lying.

Plus, It kind of funny to see Germans copying Japanese styling queues.
Old 10-02-18, 09:48 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

The new G20 will sell well for BMW. I may consider one after taking a closer look when available. It won't make much of a dent in X1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 CUV/SUV sales though.

Quick Reply: BMW G20 3 Series