Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW G20 3 Series

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-18, 05:02 PM
TXgearhead
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by BippuLexus
The laser headlights are definitely a cool looking touch. I read these laser lights only work on the high beam function. The BMW LED high beams are equipped with laser technology to enhance the LED high beams rather than it being "full laser". I think that's the loophole that made it legal in the US-Spec models.
Side note: When I say "enhance", what I mean by that is: LED high beams equipped with laser technology will be able to have a longer high beam range. It will also be able to use lasers to isolate your own lights to offer a "non-dazzling" light to the cars coming towards you or in front of you. Also - it can detect animals/humans on the side of the road and use the laser to increase the light beam towards the animal/human to show better visibility.
We need a thread that talks specifically about headlight tech. It gets confusing. I have the top spec LED lighting in my MB. I know they rotate and auto adjust, but that is about it. It would be nice to see a breakdown of what is legal here in the US and how it works.
Old 10-03-18, 05:31 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TXgearhead
We need a thread that talks specifically about headlight tech. It gets confusing. I have the top spec LED lighting in my MB. I know they rotate and auto adjust, but that is about it. It would be nice to see a breakdown of what is legal here in the US and how it works.
We definitely need a more specific thread about lighting tech. However - it gets really confusing because we have people all around the world using CL. From what I know - the US has the worst headlight regulations. Ours is super outdated and needs an update.

Some of the things off the top of my head that I know are banned are: Digital lights from MB, Matrix Laser from Audi (I think is full laser) and "real" sequential signals are banned.
Side note: when I say "real" sequential signals, I mean the ones in the EU and JDM market. Where the turn signals is literally just a line being fluid and moving across. In the US - we have a law that requires the "blink" to have to a specific size. This is why when Audi turn signals are played out, they have a solid LED turn signal that blinks along with the sequential turn signal. Also in the new Toyota Avalon, the Avalon has one piece of the line that blinks while the other one is the moving line.
Overall it just doesn't look as fluid as the other markets. But in order for US to have sequential turn signals, we have to settle for these because its the loophole.

The rotating lights where they move left to right we have on our MB and pretty much tons of cars now is adaptive lights. Its just moving the lamps based on your turning. The specific things that are illegal are the light designs, how they project and how they blink.
Old 10-03-18, 06:09 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by BippuLexus
We definitely need a more specific thread about lighting tech. However - it gets really confusing because we have people all around the world using CL. From what I know - the US has the worst headlight regulations. Ours is super outdated and needs an update.

Some of the things off the top of my head that I know are banned are: Digital lights from MB, Matrix Laser from Audi (I think is full laser) and "real" sequential signals are banned.
Side note: when I say "real" sequential signals, I mean the ones in the EU and JDM market. Where the turn signals is literally just a line being fluid and moving across. In the US - we have a law that requires the "blink" to have to a specific size. This is why when Audi turn signals are played out, they have a solid LED turn signal that blinks along with the sequential turn signal. Also in the new Toyota Avalon, the Avalon has one piece of the line that blinks while the other one is the moving line.
Overall it just doesn't look as fluid as the other markets. But in order for US to have sequential turn signals, we have to settle for these because its the loophole.

The rotating lights where they move left to right we have on our MB and pretty much tons of cars now is adaptive lights. Its just moving the lamps based on your turning. The specific things that are illegal are the light designs, how they project and how they blink.
The Avalon actually reversed the sequence. The rear fully illuminates and fades out towards the center of the car. The fronts have a different pattern to get past the regulations.

Old 10-03-18, 08:35 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

If you look at the pre-LCI E90 and F30 - this new G20 is a winner especially in Msport trim and that Blue color.
I’m not a fan of the rear lights but overall design is really modern and really ages the current F30.

The interior is amazing - really love the layout and metallic trim.
I do wish they still offered analog guages and manual handbrake!
These digital dashes are very plain. Every time I drive my dad’s S550, i hate them more and more.

These cars are going to be FAST.
The 330i will do 0-60 in 5.3-5.6 sec depends if it has Xdrive.
M340i will do it in 4.2sec.
BMW is usually very conservative with their times.

The M340i will feature update B58 with 382 hp that is in the new Z4 and new Supra.

New 3 will sell very well imo.
Old 10-03-18, 09:46 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by yardie876
The Avalon actually reversed the sequence. The rear fully illuminates and fades out towards the center of the car. The fronts have a different pattern to get past the regulations.

https://youtu.be/lP0gAOaGsJE
Yeah. In Japan and Europe - those lights doesn't have a solid blink. Its all fade in and fade out. I wish we had those.

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
If you look at the pre-LCI E90 and F30 - this new G20 is a winner especially in Msport trim and that Blue color.
I’m not a fan of the rear lights but overall design is really modern and really ages the current F30.

The interior is amazing - really love the layout and metallic trim.
I do wish they still offered analog guages and manual handbrake!
These digital dashes are very plain. Every time I drive my dad’s S550, i hate them more and more.

These cars are going to be FAST.
The 330i will do 0-60 in 5.3-5.6 sec depends if it has Xdrive.
M340i will do it in 4.2sec.
BMW is usually very conservative with their times.

The M340i will feature update B58 with 382 hp that is in the new Z4 and new Supra.

New 3 will sell very well imo.
While I do love the exterior design of this BMW, I was never a fan of BMW's "evolutionary" design trend. Where the cars pretty much stay the same long and just involve. And I also don't like where the lights are headed. Angel Eyes were uniquely BMW - now they are just doing random *** lines that doesn't really look like much. Quite a bit of people on BimmerPost mirror these opinions as well.

Digital gauges are welcomed. We are in the digital gauge era now. However - I do admit - BMW's digital gauge design is the worst of the three Germans. I think Audi Virtual Cockpit is still the best looking digital gauge cluster that can full custom. If we are talking non-customization digital gauges as well, I think Lexus LFA gauges are a nice look but lacks custom-ability.

Yes. The cars will be fast - like the F30 gen before it. However - we will see how it drives. Especially since now they dropped the manual option on the 3 Series.

The BMW 3 Series will sell good no matter what. The main two reasons it'll sell its because it'll have good lease deals for stripper models and the brand name.

Last edited by BippuLexus; 10-03-18 at 09:54 PM.
Old 10-04-18, 10:28 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

Looks much better on video than pics.
The Msport looks amazing, the only weak point is the rear tails.
Interior, new tech, and huge bump in power for inline 6 make this a winner.

Old 10-04-18, 10:54 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

The 2019 BMW 330i is powered by an updated 2.0-liter turbocharged inline-four making 255 horsepower and 295 pound-feet of torque. That's 7 horsepower and 37 pound-feet more than the current model.
M340i xDrive's turbo inline-six makes 382 horsepower and 369 pound-feet of torque, up significantly over the outgoing model. It can hit 60 mph in an estimated 4.2 seconds.
BMW says the updated xDrive all-wheel drive system has been re-tuned for better performance. It's a rear-biased system that adjusts where the power is sent through an electronically controlled multi-plate clutch in the transfer case. When all-wheel drive isn't needed, all of the car's torque can be sent to the rear.
The G20 is 2.9 inches longer, 0.6 inches wider and 0.5 inches taller than the current 3 Series. The wheelbase is up 1.6 inches while the track has increased 1.7 inches in the front and 0.8 inches in the rear. Despite growing in every dimension, the new model is actually lighter than the outgoing one by as much as 121 pounds.
The car's drag coefficient is down to 0.26 thanks to improved aero and the use of active shutters on the grille lower air intake.
Body rigidity is up 25 percent, and the 2019 still maintains a 50:50 weight distribution
Some good stuff BMW
Old 10-04-18, 01:47 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,502 Likes on 1,804 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Some good stuff BMW
That drag coefficient of 0.26 is pretty impressive for the category. Wonder why more manufacturers in this segment don't try and improve it?

Audi A4: 0.27
Audi A5: 0.29 (Cabriolet: 0.3)
Genesis G70: 0.28
Infiniti Q50: 0.28
Lexus IS 350: 0.28
Lexus RC 350: 0.3
Merecedes-Benz C 300: 0.27
Old 10-04-18, 02:50 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Despite growing in every dimension, the new model is actually lighter than the outgoing one by as much as 121 pounds.
really impressive.

also yeah it looks great in that video.
Old 10-04-18, 04:44 PM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

It's growing on me. I bet the new M3 is going to look amazing.
Old 10-04-18, 06:56 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 100 Posts

Do you think the designer of the new redesigned upcoming IS would be watching how the new 3 series has turned out and will makes changes or cues (interior or exterior) to the new IS based on how the 3 series looks? Or do you think Lexus has already decided on how the new IS will look? I mean Lexus sorta has an advantage knowing now what the 3 series looks like and they could one up the competition, right? Will the new redesigned IS have digital gauges? If so I hope they don't look like the 3 series, I don't like how they look, too busy and awkward design.
Old 10-04-18, 11:03 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Xanadu350
Do you think the designer of the new redesigned upcoming IS would be watching how the new 3 series has turned out and will makes changes or cues (interior or exterior) to the new IS based on how the 3 series looks? Or do you think Lexus has already decided on how the new IS will look? I mean Lexus sorta has an advantage knowing now what the 3 series looks like and they could one up the competition, right? Will the new redesigned IS have digital gauges? If so I hope they don't look like the 3 series, I don't like how they look, too busy and awkward design.
Lexus spokespeople have stated before they are starting to stop following what the Germans are doing. Chances are - the Lexus IS is gonna do its own thing to compete with the 3 Series rather than being a competitor.

Which is totally fine in my point of view because the 3 Series hasn't been a good driving car since the E90/92/etc... While this G20 looks cool and has nice tech toys, its pretty much another lease machine.
Old 10-05-18, 11:22 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Diesel350
It's growing on me. I bet the new M3 is going to look amazing.
I think they need to bump the power of the next M3. The M340i xDrive is getting too close to the current one.
Old 10-05-18, 11:35 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I think they need to bump the power of the next M3. The M340i xDrive is getting too close to the current one.
I heard the rumors they would be around 475
Old 10-05-18, 08:56 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

These real life pics aren't too flattering. It looks pudgy.
View this post on Instagram

Quick Reply: BMW G20 3 Series