Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

got a g90! (updates)

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-18, 02:05 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

My 460L only has 235s lol
Old 04-03-18, 02:17 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
one thing i've just realized it doesn't do is auto start/stop engine at stop lights/signs which i'm probably glad about.
Thank goodness. At least if offered there should a way to defeat it
Old 04-03-18, 03:55 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

After you get some time to really look at the interior, get used to the ride, feel the leather how do you feel about the quality of everything, how is it compared to competitors, anything you don't like or wish were improved, etc?
Old 04-03-18, 10:04 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

interior quality is excellent, everything feels solid, nice to the touch, high quality, not likely to wear quickly, etc. but it's early days of course.

anything i don't like... still learning limitations of things like phone function and voice recognition.

on my jeep i could say "play artist fleetwood mac" or something and it would do it (playing from my chip music collection plugged in). i haven't found equivalent functionality yet.

about the phone function, on the jeep on the phone screen were immediately visible preset buttons for stored numbers i dialed a lot and having a touch screen i'd just touch and it would do it. on the g90, i have to use the controller to go into the menu and select favorites then select the favorite i want (turn controller) then press controller. not quite as quick but hey at least the screen doesn't get finger prints. i am going to look in the manual on the voice commands though... i do know i can say "call xxx mobile" and it will likely work from my contacts, which is good.

there's sensitivity settings on several features like lane keeping assist but it works incredibly well.. if i take my hands off the wheel the car will dutifully steer around the curves for a few seconds, but after a few seconds it will then beep telling me i have to put my hands back on the wheel. i've had the beep though even with my hands on the wheel so maybe i was holding too light, but after that i lowered sensitivity on that but not sure that will do it yet.

one thing that's WAY better on the g90 vs the jeep is the homelink feature... it was weak on the jeep and i had to get pretty close to my garage to open/close the door. with the g90 i can be half way down my long driveway and it works.
Old 04-07-18, 04:29 PM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

surprised? i am a bit.

one quick pic for now.

I fear I am late to congratulate but Congrats on your new ride bit, enjoy it in good health she's a beauty!

Nice pick up, definitely in the lap of luxury now. I believe this is your first daily non-SUV in a while. (not counting the fun Miata you had for weekends ) I look forward to your impressions as the miles rack up!!
Old 04-07-18, 05:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by TripleL
Nice pick up, definitely in the lap of luxury now.
You Tell 'Em, Jethro Tull

Old 04-07-18, 06:22 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 615 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I thought that was Ian Anderson???
Old 04-07-18, 06:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mike728
I thought that was Ian Anderson???

Anderson is the lead singer for the group Jethro Tull....and plays the flute and a couple of other instruments. I thought it was the perfect fitting song for the thread.
Old 04-08-18, 04:36 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You Tell 'Em, Jethro Tull
Old 04-08-18, 05:12 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

there's sensitivity settings on several features like lane keeping assist but it works incredibly well.. if i take my hands off the wheel the car will dutifully steer around the curves for a few seconds, but after a few seconds it will then beep telling me i have to put my hands back on the wheel. i've had the beep though even with my hands on the wheel so maybe i was holding too light, but after that i lowered sensitivity on that but not sure that will do it yet.

one thing that's WAY better on the g90 vs the jeep is the homelink feature... it was weak on the jeep and i had to get pretty close to my garage to open/close the door. with the g90 i can be half way down my long driveway and it works.

Same thing on the Stinger with the LKA where it doesn't detect my light touch at times. I have to give it a small nudge. I find it's likely due to the firm (variable ratio) steering at speed where bigger manual inputs are required though I'd be surprised if the G90's steering is as firm (even in Normal mode). And I suspect it's like the Stinger: when you hear the LKA beep, it is from the speaker/side where you are drifting out of line, synced with the HUD displaying the side. Quite neat! Curious to know if these cars tap into the same parts bin here.

As for the Homelink, I too find the range really great. From at least 5-6 car lengths down my street I can open the garage. I didn't try further but it probably can do it LOL.
Old 04-09-18, 03:47 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

so was at a light with clear ahead road in front and decided 'right, sport mode, deep foot test'
light went green, put said toe down probably half throttle and got some brief rear wheelspin, which is pretty impressive with 275s on 19s! backed off tiny amount and then pressed down again...
all i saw in the rear mirror were two or three cars disappearing rapidly.
Old 04-09-18, 04:44 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^^^ It's also somewhat flingable too. Those big 275s balance well in corners according to some reviews because of the staggered tire setup.
Old 04-09-18, 06:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

so was at a light with clear ahead road in front and decided 'right, sport mode, deep foot test'
light went green, put said toe down probably half throttle and got some brief rear wheelspin, which is pretty impressive with 275s on 19s! backed off tiny amount and then pressed down again...
all i saw in the rear mirror were two or three cars disappearing rapidly.
Not surprising. The G90 should indeed be able to get out of its own way. In this class of sedan, one does not pay 70-80K for a slug. Both the Lambda TT V6 and Tau V8 engines, despite the differences in HP, produce around 380 ft-lbs. of torque...and the TT V6 produces it at much lower RPMs.
Old 04-09-18, 09:27 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MattyG
^^^ It's also somewhat flingable too. Those big 275s balance well in corners according to some reviews because of the staggered tire setup.
haven't really cornered aggressively but i can tell it handles really nicely and corners flat so far.
Old 04-10-18, 03:36 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a lot of large luxury sedans do, including the new ls500.
The new LS500 does not use a different tire size front/rear. Standard tire size is 245/45/19 all the way around. Available tire size is 245/40/20, all the way around.

Quick Reply: got a g90! (updates)