Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

got a g90! (updates)

Old 04-02-18, 04:45 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

A little late, just want to make sure you’re not pulling our legs before I congratulate
very nice, elegant car, you will enjoy it
Old 04-02-18, 10:39 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Congrats!!! Its a good looking car, not real flashy, but it has presence and great proportions. Something I kind of think the new Continental lacks, it just isn't quite big enough, something about the styling is slightly off on that car.

Honestly this car kind of reminds me of what an Oldsmobile 98 Regency or Buick Electra 225 should be today, if GM had bothered to keep those cars current and competitive over the past few decades. Its not flashy, but it is stylish and subtle, a good looking car. Its very well made, has two different big honkin high HP engines under the hood, I like that you can still get a V8, its every bit as nice as a Cadillac(hell probably better built/nicer interior than the Caddy CT6), but without the flash or ostentatious badge. Which I guess you can say the same thing vs a Lexus, Mercedes, BWM, Audi now days.

Really I'd think long and hard about this vs a twin turbo V6 E-Class Benz, maybe Audi's new A6/A7 line that is coming out. All of these are really nice cars and priced similarly, but Hyundia has one trump card over the Germans, size and space. In a luxury cruiser sedan, the bigger the better IMO.
Old 04-03-18, 06:06 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
thanks! a pic from the other day when walking back to it...

That's the money shot. Elegant, very nice.
Old 04-03-18, 07:01 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Honestly this car kind of reminds me of what an Oldsmobile 98 Regency or Buick Electra 225 should be today, if GM had bothered to keep those cars current and competitive over the past few decades.
Yep...totally agree. But the Lacrosse is a pretty good FWD alternative. A large, Holden-based, RWD Park Avenue is sold in China, BTW.

Its not flashy, but it is stylish and subtle, a good looking car. Its very well made, has two different big honkin high HP engines under the hood, I like that you can still get a V8, its every bit as nice as a Cadillac(hell probably better built/nicer interior than the Caddy CT6), but without the flash or ostentatious badge. Which I guess you can say the same thing vs a Lexus, Mercedes, BWM, Audi now days.
Again, agreed. The G90 trumps the CT6 in the solidness of its build and interior/exterior materials.
Old 04-03-18, 09:41 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

congrats, enjoy the ride!
Old 04-03-18, 10:10 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

thanks for all the congrats guys! maybe one thing that has swayed me to suv's vs sedans in general in the past was space, but then i'd never had a full size sedan. i just don't like feeling cramped. at. all. i don't feel cramped in the g90.

one feature on the g90 i'm in love with is the 360 camera. makes parking and backing out SO much easier!!

and EVERYTHING on the car is impressively quiet, not just the drivetrain... the mirrors move almost silently. the trunk opens and closes almost silently. the doors have the auto close feature (pulling them closed the last half inch or so) making that quiet, but even if you do a normal close it's quiet because of so much damping/seals.

one thing i have noticed though is the continental tires are prone to flat spots when the car's been sitting in the garage for a day or so. my community exits onto a 4 lane divided highway where i can do 65-70 so the tires are still cold and i can feel that for the first mile or two. not a huge deal but it's new. it's probably also because they're fairly low profile... i think 245/45-19 up front and 275/40-19 (yuuuge) out back.
Old 04-03-18, 10:54 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

thanks for all the congrats guys! maybe one thing that has swayed me to suv's vs sedans in general in the past was space, but then i'd never had a full size sedan. i just don't like feeling cramped. at. all. i don't feel cramped in the g90.

one feature on the g90 i'm in love with is the 360 camera. makes parking and backing out SO much easier!!

and EVERYTHING on the car is impressively quiet, not just the drivetrain... the mirrors move almost silently. the trunk opens and closes almost silently. the doors have the auto close feature (pulling them closed the last half inch or so) making that quiet, but even if you do a normal close it's quiet because of so much damping/seals.

one thing i have noticed though is the continental tires are prone to flat spots when the car's been sitting in the garage for a day or so. my community exits onto a 4 lane divided highway where i can do 65-70 so the tires are still cold and i can feel that for the first mile or two. not a huge deal but it's new. it's probably also because they're fairly low profile... i think 245/45-19 up front and 275/40-19 (yuuuge) out back.
Interesting stuff. Didn’t know the rear tires where a different size
Old 04-03-18, 11:07 AM
Superman60
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Man that's a beautiful car congratulations.
Old 04-03-18, 11:19 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
a lot of large luxury sedans do, including the new ls500.
Old 04-03-18, 11:19 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

a lot of large luxury sedans do, including the new ls500.
I guess. Last gen LS did not.
Old 04-03-18, 11:29 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

one thing i've just realized it doesn't do is auto start/stop engine at stop lights/signs which i'm probably glad about.
Old 04-03-18, 11:40 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

It's not unusual with RWD vehicles, especially those with a fair amount of weight or power, to have larger tires in the rear, to put more rubber on the road. What that does do, of course, is prevent traditional front-to-rear tire rotations.
Old 04-03-18, 11:47 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

one thing i've just realized it doesn't do is auto start/stop engine at stop lights/signs which i'm probably glad about.
Agreed.....I could do without it myself, although, in my experience, it does seem to help city and stop/go gas mileage. Of course, the average buyer of a car like the G90 is probably not very interested in gas mileage.....comfort is paramount.
Old 04-03-18, 12:51 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Wow, those are huge tires!
Old 04-03-18, 01:51 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Wow, those are huge tires!
the ls500 only has 20 or 21" rims with similar sizes (245/275 but lower profile!)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: got a g90! (updates)