Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

got a g90! (updates)

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-18, 12:40 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

mirror projects logo on the ground.

Old 04-01-18, 12:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
mirror projects logo on the ground.

A Bentley for one-third the price LOL.

What do I have to post to convince you guys?
Well, you could start with this...........

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-01-18 at 12:53 PM.
Old 04-01-18, 12:48 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by UDel
Awesome if it is not a April Fools joke, welcome back to attractive vehicles(sedans).
i would never pull an april fool like that...

No more cracks about me liking interiors with lots of physical buttons because you got one of the last hold outs now.
it certainly does have a lot of buttons and i don't think they made the car any simpler... there's just so many functions and features and buttons. it wasn't 'obvious' that you pull the window switch up AFTER it's closed to get the power side shade to go up, and there's a button on the door with a mirror logo that isn't about adjusting the mirror view, it's actually a 3 position rocker, the mirrors are either 'auto' (fold and open when the car decides) or rocker pressed right to fold mirrors and pressed left to keep mirrors out.

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I know clearly people are leaving sedans for crossovers, but I just don't get it...I've tried!
i think there's 2 factors... easy storage room in cuv/suv and easy in/out seating at hip height.
Old 04-01-18, 12:51 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

Another thing about cargo room, I carry a lot of stuff in my trunk I like to have separated from the passenger compartment lol
Old 04-01-18, 01:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

i would never pull an april fool like that...
OK, I think you have convinced us. Congratulations on an impressive purchase.
Old 04-01-18, 03:17 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Did the dealer add on the pinstripe for $3000? I cringe when I see that on any new car.
Congrats! What a wild ride! Those tailpipe tips are worth it alone...
Old 04-01-18, 04:15 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Really nice to hear you got a new car. It’s always fun and exciting to have that new car smell and new car everything. This came as a total surprise.

How long have you had your eye on a new car or was the G90 on your mind the whole time?

When I was at the Square One Genesis dealer, they had a G90 and mentioned that the Lexicon brand name was what they formally used in either Rolls Royce or Bentley.

Excellent materials inside. A clone of the LS460 IMO.

Old 04-01-18, 04:21 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I actually like the pinstripes! I thought about having pinstripes put on my car.

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
It really is, interior materials are even better on the G90. All the way down to the switchgear though and the way the controls work and are laid out, the LS460L was clearly their benchmark. Like I said after I drove it, the ride and drive is almost identical.
Old 04-01-18, 04:28 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

way to keep flagship sedans going lol... if i could get over my japanese bias i'm sure i'd really like owning this car. that aside, doug demuro reviewed the G90 not too long ago and described the ride and feel as being similar to the E-Class, which leads me to believe it's not quite at the absolute top tier of ride quality. i haven't driven one yet but as you now own one can you confirm / deny the E-Class comparison? because i do really want to like the G90, again if not for the japanese bias i might even call this the LS 400 of today (even though i secretly would always want the LS to be better).
Old 04-01-18, 04:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I actually like the pinstripes! I thought about having pinstripes put on my car.
You can also do it yourself. It's not difficult, If you are careful to trim properly, do it in mild weather, and apply in a straight line. I've done it myself a number of times.....both for my own cars and for others. Takes about 45 minutes to an hour on the average vehicle if done carefully.

It really is, interior materials are even better on the G90. All the way down to the switchgear though and the way the controls work and are laid out, the LS460L was clearly their benchmark. Like I said after I drove it, the ride and drive is almost identical.
Agreed. Both the G80 and G90, IMO, outdo their Lexus equivalents in the quality of materials and switchgear. Jury's still out on the G70, though.....haven't seen it yet.
Old 04-01-18, 04:31 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

Once you get used to gliding along in a big flagship sedan its hard to drive anything else on a daily basis.
omg so true... poor us haha, i gotta say it is a nice problem to have in the grand scheme of things.
Old 04-01-18, 05:21 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stroock639
way to keep flagship sedans going lol... if i could get over my japanese bias i'm sure i'd really like owning this car. that aside, doug demuro reviewed the G90 not too long ago and described the ride and feel as being similar to the E-Class, which leads me to believe it's not quite at the absolute top tier of ride quality. i haven't driven one yet but as you now own one can you confirm / deny the E-Class comparison? because i do really want to like the G90, again if not for the japanese bias i might even call this the LS 400 of today (even though i secretly would always want the LS to be better).
I saw Doug's review, couple things:

1. The new E Class rides really well, from a "bump isolation" perspective, its very close to flagship quality. What it lacks is the big graceful feel of a big sedan. Bear in mind you can get the E Class with an air suspension, although they are very rare so equipped.
2. Having owned an LS400 on air, LS430 on air an LS460 on coils and an LS460L on air, and having driven a G90 as well as a new E Class and the previous gen E Class, the G90 rides very similarly to the LS, and better than the E Class.

In the flagship class today "ride quality" is VERY similar between the LS, 7 Series, S Class, A8. The G90 is right up there, you just have to understand that it doesn't have an air suspension option which is going to hold it back a little from the LSL so equipped and the others which are equipped that way base. I would say it rides every bit as well as a coil sprung LS460L.

omg so true... poor us haha, i gotta say it is a nice problem to have in the grand scheme of things.
Haha, it is!

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You can also do it yourself. It's not difficult, If you are careful to trim properly, do it in mild weather, and apply in a straight line. I've done it myself a number of times.....both for my own cars and for others. Takes about 45 minutes to an hour on the average vehicle if done carefully.
I would have it done professionally lol. In any event I'd want painted ones not stuck on ones.

Agreed. Both the G80 and G90, IMO, outdo their Lexus equivalents in the quality of materials and switchgear. Jury's still out on the G70, though.....haven't seen it yet.
The G80 I agree if one is comparing it to the ES, but not compared to the GS.

I would also say material quality is closer with the LS500, but the G90 is still better. Lexus likes to use fake leather in places which bugs me, all the stitched trim on the G90, doors, dash, etc are real Napa leather. In my top interior option LS the door panels, dash and console are all synthetic leather. Same is true mostly with the LS500, only area that is real leather on the LS500 that isn't on the LS460 is the door armrests. Center armrest is leather on both.
Old 04-01-18, 07:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Once you get used to gliding along in a big flagship sedan its hard to drive anything else on a daily basis.
I found that to be true even as a teen-ager. While most of my friends went Ga-Ga over the classic muscle-cars of the period (and I confess I liked some of them myself), I loved to relax and enjoy an isolated Magic-Carpet experience behind the wheel. The gas-crises of the 70s, though, forced me into smaller cars.
Old 04-01-18, 08:34 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Did the dealer add on the pinstripe for $3000? I cringe when I see that on any new car.
Congrats! What a wild ride! Those tailpipe tips are worth it alone...
Ha, dealer's 'package' of add ons included the pinstripe but i didn't pay for any of it. not sure what you mean about tailpipe tips but i like them.

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Really nice to hear you got a new car. It’s always fun and exciting to have that new car smell and new car everything. This came as a total surprise.

How long have you had your eye on a new car or was the G90 on your mind the whole time?

thx. I'm always looking but recent tragedies and losses made me think why wait, no one knows what tomorrow brings. The jeep grand cherokee in summit trim was very nice in many ways, but ride quality wasn't one of them, so i made a change, pretty impulsively. I've never wanted a black car but frankly now i don't care... anything but white. Saw a silver g90 today and like my black one better.

When I was at the Square One Genesis dealer, they had a G90 and mentioned that the Lexicon brand name was what they formally used in either Rolls Royce or Bentley.

lexicon is really great and i consider the interior a step above the ls460 but probably not the ls500, but all 3 are awesome.
OK, I think you have convinced us. Congratulations on an impressive purchase.
Thx!

Originally Posted by Stroock639
I've no doubt an air suspension is better but g90 certainly a load more comfortable over bumps than my jeep. My friend's e300 rides really nice but i expect the g90 has longer wheelbase which helps.

Both the G80 and G90, IMO, outdo their Lexus equivalents in the quality of materials and switchgear.
I've driven the g80 and it's nice but a big step below the g90. Oddly the g80 has apple carplay and android auto while the g90 does not. perhaps because the 80 has a touch screen.

Another thing about cargo room, I carry a lot of stuff in my trunk I like to have separated from the passenger compartment lol
Ha do you something like a weathertech trunk liner to keep the trunk clean?
Old 04-01-18, 08:41 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I’ve thought about it a weather tech trunk mat but I like the carpet mat. I did buy a nice storage box sort of thing when I got my new LS that i really like. I will post the link...

Quick Reply: got a g90! (updates)