Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

got a g90! (updates)

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-19, 08:36 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,103 Likes on 1,365 Posts

Update, after the front left/right rotation and seemingly a bit higher air pressure they put in than specified on the door jamb, the vibration is gone! Yay.

will still get the vol **** fixed at some point but certainly no biggie.
Old 03-10-19, 11:42 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

We were browsing Genesis.com today, the Canadian site. It is kinda interesting that you can order your G70, 80 or 90 with extra winter tires via Genesis when you order your vehicle new. That would include the mounting and balancing as well. Even better is that the tires are not outrageously priced. You can also get wheels as well.

Not it so cool is the option to buy premium wiper blades for your $90K premium car, you would think a $90K Genesis would have premium wiper blades as standard. I assume that it is possible that these blades are for the winter months.

Also, just noticed Canada has stopped selling the 3.3 G90 and now it's only offered in V8 form.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 03-10-19 at 11:46 AM.
Old 03-10-19, 12:41 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Maybe your dealer only has v8, but v6 still on website for Canada?

https://www.genesis.com/ca/en/luxury-sedan-genesis-g90.html
Old 03-10-19, 03:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Update, after the front left/right rotation and seemingly a bit higher air pressure they put in than specified on the door jamb, the vibration is gone! Yay.

Did they tell you if the tires were wearing in a cup, out-of-round, or any other pattern that could be contributing to the vibration? Something sounds strange here. Simply pumping up PSIs (usually) does not have en effect on vibration, unless the PSIs were extremely low to start with. Vibration at cruise-speeds is usually caused by imbalance or runout (out-of-roundness) in the tires, wheels, axles, hubs, or driveshafts.
Old 03-10-19, 08:46 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Apologies if this is a repeat but I finally got a chance to view a (not great) review of the 2020 G90 - same powertrain (3.3 or 5.0 with 8 speed tranny) with Apple Carplay

Old 06-22-19, 09:47 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

quick update on my g90 now that i've had it 15 months and about 16,000 miles.

i did get the volume **** issue fixed, which like corradoMR2's Stinger required the replacement of the entire head unit! still, it was under warranty of course, i never set foot in the dealer (they came and got my car and returned it) and free loaner (new Santa Fe).

no other issues to report at all, car is a tank. recently bought a small property and had to move a lot of things and bring a lot of shopping there and the g90's cavernous rear seat and large trunk were great. not SUV great, but still very useful. every passenger that comes in the car says "wow". client recently said "you got a Bentley?" rear passengers are amazed at the huge center armrest with all the climate and audio controls.

for me the driver, i continue to really enjoy how quiet it is and the great ride quality, especially over bumps. occasionally when i want to get a quick start at a light i'll put it into sport mode which makes it MUCH quicker at all speeds. i'm sure it's drinking gas during those times too but it is fun. overall economy still at 21mpg, no complaints. i only fill with premium after early experiments with regular made me believe performance was down a notch.

the seats are firm, but VERY comfortable, even on long drives. the white leather in my car does show marks of course, but i've found they're simple to clean with leather cleaner. i wear jeans a lot and the front driver's seat does get blue marks over time, but again, they come off VERY easily with a couple of minutes a cloth and leather cleaner.

i use the remote start via Alexa a lot, and i LOVE the 'google' button on the rear mirror to ask it to find a destination which it's never missed. you can also ask generically for 'coffee shops' or whatever, and it will show a list with phone #'s, addresses, etc. the weather on the maps is useful as i can see fronts coming to my area before they arrive. the huge screen is absolutely wonderful. the wheel controller and buttons (no touch) works great. i'm not sure i'd use the touch screen if it were touch as well. i've also come to really appreciate the heads up display and i will never have a car without one.

overall, love it. would recommend one. obviously they don't sell well (less than 200 a month nationwide!) but that doesn't bother me. could be the only genesis i drive as i will look hard at electric vehicles next time.
Old 06-22-19, 11:21 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

i did get the volume **** issue fixed, which like corradoMR2's Stinger required the replacement of the entire head unit! still, it was under warranty of course, i never set foot in the dealer (they came and got my car and returned it) and free loaner (new Santa Fe).

no other issues to report at all, car is a tank. recently bought a small property and had to move a lot of things and bring a lot of shopping there and the g90's cavernous rear seat and large trunk were great. not SUV great, but still very useful. every passenger that comes in the car says "wow". client recently said "you got a Bentley?" rear passengers are amazed at the huge center armrest with all the climate and audio controls.

for me the driver, i continue to really enjoy how quiet it is and the great ride quality, especially over bumps. occasionally when i want to get a quick start at a light i'll put it into sport mode which makes it MUCH quicker at all speeds. i'm sure it's drinking gas during those times too but it is fun. overall economy still at 21mpg, no complaints. i only fill with premium after early experiments with regular made me believe performance was down a notch.

the seats are firm, but VERY comfortable, even on long drives. the white leather in my car does show marks of course, but i've found they're simple to clean with leather cleaner. i wear jeans a lot and the front driver's seat does get blue marks over time, but again, they come off VERY easily with a couple of minutes a cloth and leather cleaner.

i use the remote start via Alexa a lot, and i LOVE the 'google' button on the rear mirror to ask it to find a destination which it's never missed. you can also ask generically for 'coffee shops' or whatever, and it will show a list with phone #'s, addresses, etc. the weather on the maps is useful as i can see fronts coming to my area before they arrive. the huge screen is absolutely wonderful. the wheel controller and buttons (no touch) works great. i'm not sure i'd use the touch screen if it were touch as well. i've also come to really appreciate the heads up display and i will never have a car without one.

overall, love it. would recommend one. obviously they don't sell well (less than 200 a month nationwide!) but that doesn't bother me. could be the only genesis i drive as i will look hard at electric vehicles next time.
They didn't give you a G70??
Old 06-22-19, 11:35 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Thanks for the update and insights on your G90. I've been looking at the G80 as a possible replacement for our A6 and have been impressed with what it offers. I've pretty much decided to wait for the upcoming new gen (a new G90 is coming too) which should be here soon. I'm hoping for some weight savings and improved fuel economy. Early indications are the G80 and G90 will be impressive and hopefully still a value vs. the competition.
Old 06-22-19, 01:39 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

That is a good thing. You get to be exclusive. I have always thought that it is a nice thing to have.
Old 06-22-19, 01:47 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
They didn't give you a G70??
that would have been great but i think when i went in at that time they only had one G70! now they've got a bunch though.

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
That is a good thing. You get to be exclusive. I have always thought that it is a nice thing to have.
couldn't care less about exclusivity. i mean ultimate exclusivity would be to have a 1 off car... i'd be so ronery... and good luck getting it fixed.

i see another g90 about once a week in my small town. i've seen silver, white, and black.
Old 06-22-19, 01:52 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

occasionally when i want to get a quick start at a light i'll put it into sport mode which makes it MUCH quicker at all speeds. i'm sure it's drinking gas during those times too but it is fun. overall economy still at 21mpg, no complaints. i only fill with premium after early experiments with regular made me believe performance was down a notch.

...could be the only genesis i drive as i will look hard at electric vehicles next time.
Nice quick update!

- Interesting you also had a volume issue! And it ain't cheap yet glad warranty took care of that.
- Same here. Sport mode makes a noticeable difference in throttle/power/turbo response off the line. Yes, I experimented too with regular once and the 3.3TT does not like it - you feel the drop in response/power like going from Sport to Normal...
- Same here possibly the only Kia I may have as I would want to get a BEV next time Tesla likely but can't get over the shoddy build quality.
Old 06-23-19, 02:10 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
- Same here possibly the only Kia I may have as I would want to get a BEV next time Tesla likely but can't get over the shoddy build quality.
yes, QC would concern me on a tesla, plus i just don't like the interiors.
Old 06-23-19, 06:47 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

glad things are well with it, i like the G90 and i imagine hyundai did a good job with it since they're still somewhat in the we need to establish ourselves as a force to be reckoned with phase that lexus was once in, before getting to the we can now become complacent phase lol

also i imagine that putting the car in sport starts it off in 1st gear since pretty much everything now starts off in 2nd when you're in normal/comfort mode, with so many gears in everything these days you pretty much need the 2nd gear start since 1st is so short
Old 06-23-19, 09:13 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

probably right about the 1st gear for sport mode vs. 2nd for other modes. car is way quicker off the line, but there's more to it than that, it goes to higher rpms in each gear and stays higher without up shifting even when coming off the throttle some. it's a grin mode.
Old 06-23-19, 09:43 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

probably right about the 1st gear for sport mode vs. 2nd for other modes. car is way quicker off the line, but there's more to it than that, it goes to higher rpms in each gear and stays higher without up shifting even when coming off the throttle some. it's a grin mode.
oh yea i'm sure throttle response and pedal sensitivity is all sharpened up, it's cool what can be done with electronics haha

Quick Reply: got a g90! (updates)