Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Toyota Avalon

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-18, 06:34 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The all-new 2019 and its bulldozer grille, of course, was up rotating on the turntable.....so I wasn't able to closely examine it or comment on it other than the silly (IMO) front end and the ski-ramp console.
Something tells me this new Avalon stirs up the emotion in you better than your current Buick LaCrosse.
Old 02-04-18, 10:10 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Something tells me this new Avalon stirs up the emotion in you better than your current Buick LaCrosse.
You mean the 2019? Can't comment on what I haven't seen yet. Of what I have seen, I've already stated I think the grille and center dash ski-ramp are overdone. I'll have to wait for a review/test-drive for the rest. I hope, though, of course, that it (retains) some of the improvements made between 2016 and 2018.

As far as emotion, I could be reasonably satisfied with a 2018 Avalon (and more so with an ES350 or 2017 or later Lincoln MKZ)....but I simply feel more at home in a Lacrosse than anything else (currently) on the market. I have no desire for anything else right now....and likely will not for quite some time
Old 02-04-18, 11:14 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns

Aside from the grill it looks really good.
Go figure that the drag coefficient of this new Avalon is lower than the LS500. Hard to believe I must say.

"Form follows function in Avalon. The tangential vents at the front, its rear spoiler, and the substantial underbody panel coverage, from front nose to tail, minimize aerodynamic inefficiencies and give Avalon a 0.27 coefficient of drag – besting the outgoing model’s 0.28 Cd."
Old 02-04-18, 07:32 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

...But the doors (for 2018) now shut with a solid feel and a decent thunk (better than on my Lacrosse, I might add), and (almost) the whole car seems to have a more solid feel to its assembly. I suspect that, without a major re-design to the existing model, the engineers, for 2017 or 2018, probably just added more insulation to the doors to absorb that (formerly) tinny feel and sound.
The structural changes made to improve small-overlap crashworthiness are probably the cause, not more (heavy and bulky) noise insulation.
Old 02-04-18, 07:44 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sulu
The structural changes made to improve small-overlap crashworthiness are probably the cause, not more (heavy and bulky) noise insulation.
Really? Hard to believe Toyota made changes. Is there something that can show this? Is it perhaps when Toyota moves the Lexus ES lone to Kentucky?
Old 02-04-18, 08:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sulu
Without a major re-design, though, one (usually) can't realistically do the kind of structural changes you're referring to. Remember....I was talking about the mid-cycle update for 2016 and perhaps other small changes for 2018....it would be far simpler just to add door-insulation. The major redesign will bow next year.....2019.

And, BTW, insulation doesn't have to be bulky or heavy. Buick, for example, compared to the 2016, managed to take 300 pounds out of the all-new 2017 Lacrosse.......all the while making the car longer, wider, and even quieter running.
Old 02-04-18, 08:11 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Without a major re-design, though, one (usually) can't realistically do the kind of structural changes you're referring to. Remember....I was talking about the mid-cycle update for 2016 and perhaps other small changes for 2018....it would be far simpler just to add door-insulation. The major redesign will bow next year.....2019.

And, BTW, insulation doesn't have to be bulky or heavy. Buick, for example, compared to the 2016, managed to take 300 pounds out of the all-new 2017 Lacrosse.......all the while making the car longer, wider, and even quieter running.
I highly doubt they added anything whatsoever to the refresh. Hard to believe. A company like Toyota almost never does something of the sort. The 2013 Avalon got stellar reviews for build quality as well as having one of the quietest cars in the industry. But hey, isn't this thread about the 2019 Avalon?
Old 02-04-18, 08:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

The 2013 Avalon got stellar reviews for build quality as well as having one of the quietest cars in the industry.
Fine, but I reviewed, it, drove it, and came up with my own conclusion, Thank You.

(Oh....and I've only explained that to you about six times).

But hey, isn't this thread about the 2019 Avalon?
Well, part of the problem is that it hasn't formally been released yet. Without seeing it for ourselves and driving it, conversation about it is somewhat limited......even wth the bulldozer grille LOL.
Old 02-04-18, 08:37 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Well, part of the problem is that it hasn't formally been released yet. Without seeing it for ourselves and driving it, conversation about it is somewhat limited......even wth the bulldozer grille LOL.
There are some interesting attributes that the new Avalon is going to have. A lower drag coefficient than the new Lexus LS, .3 lower than the LaCrosse and .1 lower than the current Avalon. This new model should be one quiet car. Add in flat panels underneth the car which is LS like. Also interesting to note, Toyota is going to mirrors that are on the doors instead of the where the door metal and window meet, this is a design cue from Lexus. A sound generator will now be offered. And most interesting to me will be some sort of glide control for slowing down and coming to a stop.
Old 02-05-18, 06:19 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 614 Likes on 462 Posts

... A sound generator will now be offered. ...
Say what? That seems to go against what the Avalon stands for. Will it go on the TRD Avalon?

I believe they are also adding Active Noise Cancellation. Seems like they have a dilemma here.
Old 02-05-18, 06:22 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mike728
Say what? That seems to go against what the Avalon stands for. Will it go on the TRD Avalon?

I believe they are also adding Active Noise Cancellation. Seems like they have a dilemma here.
I believe the touring model only. Not the limited or regular model. So the Touring model will make an effort to be a departure form what the Avalon normally is.
Old 02-05-18, 07:02 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728

As long 8ng as it can be turned off or default to the off position it might be OK I guess. I can see buyers returning to the service dept. with complaints of excessive noise.
Old 02-05-18, 07:14 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I wouldn't worry too much about the intake sound generator. In addition to the IS F Sport and the GS, they use it on both the RX F Sport and the LS F Sport and I haven't heard of widespread complaints there. I think as long as they use it only on the Touring model it should be fine.
Old 02-05-18, 07:50 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDR76
I wouldn't worry too much about the intake sound generator. In addition to the IS F Sport and the GS, they use it on both the RX F Sport and the LS F Sport and I haven't heard of widespread complaints there. I think as long as they use it only on the Touring model it should be fine.
Cant they be turned off on these Lexus models?
Old 02-05-18, 08:11 AM
highrev6
Lead Lap

Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

Cant they be turned off on these Lexus models?
I have a 2013 GS350 with this feature. I think it’s only active when the sport **** is turned right. This feature just pipes more intake induction noise into the cabin it’s different from the RC-F and GS-F where one can turn on and off additional noise added from the cars speakers. Also I the 2019 Avalon launches in late Spring 2018.

Quick Reply: 2019 Toyota Avalon