Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Toyota Supra

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-19, 09:23 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
I know quite a bit about the old Supras, but its not the 90ies anymore, and im not in my 20ies anymore, so to me a car is much more than just a car now. If anything, I am glad the new Supra is more BMW than a Toyota, because it comes with the superb iDrive system, instead of whatever subpar abortion that Toyota/Lexus clusterplucks in their vehicles. Also, being a BMW there no doubt it will perform the part. The Supra name and styling just adds to that cool factor. Win win for me.

And for whats it worth, performance aside, being a Nissan the GTR is an utter piece of junk.
Come on, you can’t be serious about the GTR being junk. While it is way long in the tooth, when it came out it shocked many other auto makers. Yes it wasn’t refined and didn’t look like a $70k car (many including myself thought it was ugly), it had many ground breaking technologies in it including a DCT, unbelievable highly programmable ECU and a great AWD system. It also has a hand built engine. The interior was pretty nice, but not great when it came out and it did drive pretty rough but that was what the car was built for, performance. Unfortunately over the years it increased in price and wasn’t the bargain it was but I would hardly call it junk. What in particular is junk on it?
Old 01-16-19, 05:27 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

It's growing on me. Prefer this matte metallic gray over the glossy red. Interior, still not sold yet. Final judgment in person...

Old 01-16-19, 06:22 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Old 01-16-19, 06:23 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/01/14/...z4-comparison/

Good article comparing Z4 to Supra.
Old 01-16-19, 06:44 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン
Forum Moderator

Received 443 Likes on 365 Posts

This was really disappointing. I hoped for more horsepower for that kind of money.

After seeing the picture of the FT1, the new Supra looks so tiny and squished. I’ll definitely check it out once they start arriving at dealerships. If it was similar in size to the FT1 I would buy it in a heartbeat.
Old 01-16-19, 08:28 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

The gray definitely looked better on stage and in person. The shape of the car was just lost with the red. That said, there are a lot of busy lines and overstyled elements (which I guess was to try to get it to more closely resemble FT1). Interior is pure BMW. I'm happy that the Supra is back, better than no Supra. And yes, many of the fanboys will decry the lack of manual and having the BMW engine (and potentially reliability).

Will be curious to see who this car appeals to when it comes time to have them actually sell. Price conscious Porsche Cayman shoppers? Former BMW Z4 Coupe owners? You can obviously get more raw power from Domestic Mustang/Camaro (also with manuals) for cheaper. Can quickly stretch into Corvette territory as well. Starting price $20K higher than the now ancient Nissan 370Z, but similar on paper horsepower. Supra seems almost in a weird no-man's land of price/brand/power. I have faith it will be a good driving car and good performance, 4.1 to 60 is nothing to sneeze at, but will that and an iconic name be enough?
Old 01-16-19, 08:32 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
The gray definitely looked better on stage and in person. The shape of the car was just lost with the red. That said, there are a lot of busy lines and overstyled elements (which I guess was to try to get it to more closely resemble FT1). Interior is pure BMW. I'm happy that the Supra is back, better than no Supra. And yes, many of the fanboys will decry the lack of manual and having the BMW engine (and potentially reliability).

Will be curious to see who this car appeals to when it comes time to have them actually sell. Price conscious Porsche Cayman shoppers? Former BMW Z4 Coupe owners? You can obviously get more raw power from Domestic Mustang/Camaro (also with manuals) for cheaper. Can quickly stretch into Corvette territory as well. Starting price $20K higher than the now ancient Nissan 370Z, but similar on paper horsepower. Supra seems almost in a weird no-man's land of price/brand/power. I have faith it will be a good driving car and good performance, 4.1 to 60 is nothing to sneeze at, but will that and an iconic name be enough?
A 3400 lb car with 335bhp getting from 0-60 in 4.1 through automatic is impressive either this car weighs less than stated or makes more hp than stated.
Old 01-16-19, 08:45 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,052 Likes on 2,564 Posts

Car Chat has taught me that BMW interiors are far and away superior to Toyota and Lexus but now the Supra interior is no good?
Old 01-16-19, 09:14 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
but the Z4 is the better car of the 2, so why buy the copy with a worse warranty and less power?
how did you come to that conclusion?
Old 01-16-19, 09:14 AM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
I get what you're saying about the name and heritage, but given the fact that Toyota can't seems to design anything even remotely performance oriented for the last two decades, if it wasn't for BMW's involvement there wouldn't be a new Supra at all. Or worse yet, if Toyota decided to develop the new Supra all on their own, it would probably be a complete let down. So take it for what it is - proven BMW performance with stunning Supra styling and panache. The best of both worlds.
Correction. Toyota decided to develop the new Supra with BMW and it became a let down. If Toyota engineered it themselves, they could have done better. I mean, honestly, Toyota gave us the Lexus LFA. Rebuilding the Supra from the ground up would be easy for them. They just took the easy way out and it shows.

Proven BMW unreliability with a Toyota nameplate. That's what we got here. How is this "proven BMW" performance when the Toyota Supra got the detuned version of the Z4? BMW totally bait and switched the Supra. Its more of a "Yeah. You can use our engine but our car has to be faster."
Old 01-16-19, 09:15 AM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by spwolf
how did you come to that conclusion?
He came to that conclusion because the BMW Z4 got the better motor and performance figures compared to the Supra. Toyota and BMW did an agreement to make these cars - pretty sure in that agreement - they had to agree the Z4 has to be faster.
Old 01-16-19, 09:18 AM
vuong05
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Must say I'm a little underwhelmed by the new Supra. I think it had potential to be so much better, or at least that's what my fantasy led me to believe after seeing the FT-1 Concept years ago. I'm reserving final judgement until I actually drive the thing, but I think it will be a tough sell given the competition out there.
Old 01-16-19, 10:12 AM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Hilarious. Bravo
Old 01-16-19, 10:16 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by plex
A 3400 lb car with 335bhp getting from 0-60 in 4.1 through automatic is impressive either this car weighs less than stated or makes more hp than stated.
Gearing?

0-60 does not make sense with those specs unless it has a lot more power, is aggressively geared down low, they really abused it to get that number, that number is a once in a blue moon number and it is really in the mid 4 to upper 4 sec range.

I think they should not have called this car a Supra, probably should have named it something else considering what it is and lowered the price by 5 or 10K, maybe then it would not be as disappointing for previous Supra fans and then it will find a fan base.
Old 01-16-19, 12:03 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by UDel

I think they should not have called this car a Supra, probably should have named it something else considering what it is and lowered the price by 5 or 10K, maybe then it would not be as disappointing for previous Supra fans and then it will find a fan base.
Agreed. This is why the Toyota/Subaru FT86/BRZ did so well. It didn't have big shoes to fill and stayed Japanese.

I think this Mark 5 Supra should have been what the Toyota FT86 should have been. That or call this Mark 5 the Celica.

Quick Reply: 2019 Toyota Supra