Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2015 Genesis Sedan Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-13, 11:44 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 577 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
Will it have a Hyundai badge on the front?
Should have one...until the owners can find a KDM badge to replace it with
Old 10-24-13, 12:21 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

those pics don't show one, just the genesis wings. hope it stays that way!

Old 10-24-13, 01:02 PM
Tantrix
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL that's right it will have wings.

the whole debadging of the hyundai sedan to genesis wings has to be the most interesting phenomenon in marketing history. Hopefully they have case studies on this for all college marketing majors.

Old 10-24-13, 01:45 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i think the rendering itself has a bit of an exaggerated perspective, kind of making the car tape off to a point, so i think irl it won't have the big face, small butt look.

agreed - it looks way too safe.
I went back and looked. I think you are right. It's a wide-angle view, which exaggerates the front and side. Yet the Audi-esque grille and Mazda 6 front end are still hard to overlook. If Hyundai is good at one thing, it's copying others. Funny, at times their copying actually looks better than the car(s) it used as a base.
Old 10-24-13, 03:16 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One could also say Mazda 6 copied the rear end of the Sonata

Old 10-24-13, 05:02 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by yowps3
One could also say Mazda 6 copied the rear end of the Sonata

Perhaps we should all just accept the fact that you can only reinvent the wheel so many times before design get recycled. Every generation of car has a car that looks just like it

Old 10-24-13, 06:03 PM
Hoovey689

Default New official press info

New official press info

hyundai motor previews soon-to-be launched all-new genesis premium sedan

- information on the all-new genesis unveiled to pique market's interest
-with its initial launch in korea, the all-new genesis to be introduced in major
markets next year

oct. 24, 2013 – hyundai motor company, south korea's largest automaker, today held an 'all-new genesis media preview' for the korean media at hyundai motor group's r&d center and officially unveiled the first image renderings of the car. The purpose of the pre-launch media event was to promote its domestic launch scheduled later this year. Staging its world-premiere in korea, the all-new genesis will debut in major markets next year.

"launched in 2008, hyundai's first premium rear-wheel drive sedan genesis surprised the industry with its outstanding product competitiveness," said moon sik kwon, head of hyundai motor group's r&d center, in his welcome remarks. "the evolved all-new genesis is the product of hyundai's best resources and capabilities and we strongly believe it will be a game-changer in the market."

with a total investment of 500 billion krw, the project began with the aim of developing a world-class premium rear-wheel drive sedan, and it took four years to develop the current model.

Its main strengths are: Premium and distinctive design, best-in-class chassis system, premium european brands' level of driving and r&h performance, cutting-edge safety and convenience features.

With emotional touches included in every detail, conveying hyundai's brand identity 'modern premium,' the all-new genesis has secured best-in-class basic product competitiveness through numerous tests carried out in various locations worldwide, including the famed nürburgring in germany.

Design

since its introduction in 2009, hyundai's unique design philosophy 'fluidic sculpture' has evolved to the next level and the all-new genesis is the first model to adopt fluidic sculpture 2.0.

While maintaining its original essence, fluidic sculpture 2.0 is defined by core elements: Simple and harmonious design with refined fluidic design elements, modern hyundai look with a singular hexagonal grille, easy-to-understand and pleasant design and rich visuotactile color, material and finishing of the car.

Designed based on this new philosophy, the all-new genesis boasts a premium sports sedan look with refined, 'in-motion' design aesthetics. A single-frame premium hexagonal grille makes a bold front statement, while fluidic and voluminous surfacing complete the side lines. Meanwhile, the high-tech, sculptural surface emphasizes the rear design.

Its interior design aligns with the premium exterior, adopting consistent design details that fully reflect careful consideration of ergonomics and intuitive operation. Tailored design specifications for all materials and master craftsmanship-level finish strengthen its premium image.

The all-new genesis also focuses on human machine interface (hmi), which lets drivers intuitively recognize vehicle functions, allowing for more convenient and effective use of those functions.

Switches are categorized depending on their function, facilitating easier control. Symbols are standardized for intuitive recognition, and the feel of the grip and control have been improved as well.

Starting with the all-new genesis, future models will be designed based on fluidic sculpture 2.0 and its hmi principles.

Safety

the all-new genesis significantly improved its safety in crash tests due to improved body structure and rigidity.

Its torsional and bending stiffness have been increased by applying more ultra-high-strength steel, hot-stamping and double-section structure on the front, partitioned engine room design as well as improved rear and center floor structures.

Passenger safety has been improved by the application of advanced seatbelt functions such as emergency fastening device system (efd), which tightly fastens passengers in crashes, and pre-safe seatbelt, which warns of danger in advance by tightening the seatbelt.

Performance

with improved suspension and application of various advanced technologies, the all-new genesis offers top-class driving and ride & handling performances. Greatly improved lateral stiffness of the front and rear suspensions and excellent weight balance contribute to the making of a stable chassis. Meanwhile, application of electronic control suspension such as advanced traction cornering control (atcc) enables greater stability in corners.

Furthermore, rack-mounted motor driven electric power steering (r-mdps) was first applied to the model with a variable gear ratio, which provides high-speed stability and direct response at low and medium speeds.

Hyundai's 'htrac' all-wheel drive system will also be available for the first time on the all-new genesis. The advanced htrac system electronically controls torque split between the front and rear axles depending on road and driving conditions, offering greater stability on slippery roads and in corners. It also allows drivers to select driving modes for a sophisticated and tailored driving experience.
Old 10-24-13, 06:23 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Another awkward, and highly derivative model from Hyundai, nothing surprising here. Expect it to lag behind the class leaders in many areas as usual.

It looks so derivative, it could easily have come from some Chinese copycat company.

Originally Posted by natnut
The acid test will be the suspension and chassis. Will it handle, steer and feedback like a true sports sedan? Hyundai has the value proposition and the reliability/quality aspect down. Now let's hope it has the dynamics too.
No it won't.

Also reliability/quality aspect is still below the Japanese, so they haven't fully nailed that down, most definitely not.

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
It appears to have a huge front overhang. If so, too bad. I am still shocked how many automakers continue to use a styling feature that is widely hated.
Also doesn't appear to have a trunk. Another weak styling feature.
I wish them well, but I'm not wowed so far.
Never underestimate the arrogance of Korean companies.

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
Looks nice, but the biggest improvement the Genesis needs is in the general driving dynamics department, but especially suspension refinement. The one I test drove felt extremely unsettled on a certain stretch of highway in my area that every other car I've owned has handled just fine. Seriously felt like you were off-roading. Went to look up some reviews and yep, "unsettled ride" was a big point of criticism. I also thought that suspension and tire noise leaking into an otherwise pretty quiet cabin was very odd. Why go to such great lengths to give a car a quiet interior if you're not going to go all the way and isolate tire/suspension noise. That was annoying. Overall the outgoing Genesis is a very nice car though. Hope the new one continues to improve. I have no doubt that it will.
That's because you get what you pay for. Don't want to pay for a real luxury car like a Benz or Lexus? Then that's what you get stuck with.
Old 10-24-13, 06:45 PM
LexFather

I've never thought sonata seeing the maza6. I think the Mazda 6 is quite well done and one of the better looking sedans. I also think the sonata is nice when it has the larger wheels and looks more expensive than it is. Could just be me

I hope they hold pricing on the Genesis as the sedan never lit up sales sheets.

Old 10-24-13, 07:20 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

I've never thought sonata seeing the maza6. I think the Mazda 6 is quite well done and one of the better looking sedans. I also think the sonata is nice when it has the larger wheels and looks more expensive than it is. Could just be me

I hope they hold pricing on the Genesis as the sedan never lit up sales sheets.
Judging how prices have continually been creeping up for them, I don't think they'll be able to hold the line on pricing.
Old 10-25-13, 03:07 PM
Hoovey689

Default Europe to get next Hyundai Genesis

Europe to get next Hyundai Genesis

Hyundai is preparing to make a rather bold move with its Genesis, as reports are now stating that the next-generation rear-drive sedan, which we showed you earlier this week, will be sold in Europe. The first-generation of the Genesis sedan never crossed the pond.

The 2015 Genesis will enter the traditional stomping grounds of BMW, Mercedes-Benz and Audi armed with the same 3.8-liter V6 and 5.0-liter V8 found in the current model. All-wheel drive, a first for the model, will also be available in Europe. "We have to overcome the challenge of competing with established European brands. We expect the Genesis to play a crucial role in improving our brand recognition," Hyundai said in a statement.

Hyundai has done a fair job of changing its image in the US from a budget-minded brand into a legitimate, mainstream competitor that covers a broad swath of the American market, offering cars from the $14,545 Accent to the $61,000 Equus. That movement started in earnest with the Genesis, and it looks like Hyundai is determined to repeat that models success in Europe.

According to Automotive News, the South Korean brand, along with its corporate sibling Kia, have made strides in the tough European market, capturing six percent of the market in 2012. Now the question is, will Europeans that have no shortage of choice embrace the brand's luxury move?
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/10/25/n...enesis-europe/
Old 10-27-13, 12:36 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
If they dont buy Lexus in Europe I find it hard to believe they are going to move many hyundai Genesis sedans
Old 10-27-13, 03:56 AM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
If they dont buy Lexus in Europe I find it hard to believe they are going to move many hyundai Genesis sedans
Probably doing it for the sake of enhanced brand image...
Old 10-27-13, 07:36 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by yowps3
Probably doing it for the sake of enhanced brand image...
I guess so

They're also probably doing it for the heck of it.......and aren't chasing any volume sales (especially since this vehicle does not have a diesel engine whatsoever......which is a necessity if you want sales volume in Europe)
Old 10-27-13, 11:37 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Its going to be interesting to see if Hyundai decides they want to step out and try and give the Genesis and Equus their own identities, or if they are content to continue to build derivative, "off brand" type luxury cars.

I like the pics of the new Genesis, I always liked the old one. I would drive one if I weren't such a snob. There seriously is no reason to buy an ES over a Genesis for the same money other than the badge.

Quick Reply: 2015 Genesis Sedan Thread