UX Models (2019-present)

🐜 Apple CarPlay Bug 📞

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-19, 02:28 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts
Default 🐜 Apple CarPlay Bug 📞

When connected to Apple CarPlay (via USB/Lightning cable) and when I'm speaking with someone on the phone, the person on the other end hears me very faintly. I can hear them perfectly.

It doesn't matter if I initiated the call or if it was an incoming call, the remote person can barely hear me.

In the rare event that everything does work, it will only work once. Any subsequent phone conversations revert back to the original issue.

Also, disconnecting the cable (which disables CarPlay) temporarily resolves the issue, but that defeats the whole purpose of CarPlay.

My iPhone 11 Pro Max is up-to-date with the latest iOS (v13.3).

As per other internet website suggestions, I have tried all of the following—but none have worked:
  • Toggle the “Audio” icon when the phone is in the process of calling. (this did not fix the issue)
  • Tried different cables, including the Apple OEM cable. (this did not fix the issue)
  • Turned Bluetooth off—although Lexus Enform will disconnect BT when CarPlay is connected via cable. (this did not fix the issue)

Who else is experiencing this?

Last edited by NXOwner; 12-23-19 at 02:38 PM.
Old 12-23-19, 08:59 PM
RosarioM
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same issue

I just picked up my UXh and have the same issue. Who was hoping to find a solution here.
Old 12-24-19, 02:48 PM
tofuprod
Instructor

Received 232 Likes on 183 Posts

I have it three, but it may also be the speaker system we have in our cars. They aren't the best.
My LS and the lady's IS, have had zero issues, but then again, there was no Apple Carplay in either. I've yet to see if I connect via just Bluetooth if the sound quality will be any better or any worse compared to connected to Apple Carplay.
The following users liked this post:
Ronb31 (01-11-20)
Old 12-24-19, 03:14 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Originally Posted by tofuprod
I have it three, but it may also be the speaker system we have in our cars. They aren't the best.
My LS and the lady's IS, have had zero issues, but then again, there was no Apple Carplay in either. I've yet to see if I connect via just Bluetooth if the sound quality will be any better or any worse compared to connected to Apple Carplay.
Using Bluetooth in our UXs is not the issue. Neither are the speakers. BT works fine, as do the speakers.

The issue is with the microphone when connected to Apple CarPlay via the USB cable. Using a cable is the only way to connect to CarPlay in the UX—at least for now. By design, BT is disconnected when CarPlay connects (Enform disconnects it).
Ronb31 (01-11-20)
Old 12-25-19, 08:06 AM
tofuprod
Instructor

Received 232 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by NXOwner
Using Bluetooth in our UXs is not the issue. Neither are the speakers. BT works fine, as do the speakers.

The issue is with the microphone when connected to Apple CarPlay via the USB cable. Using a cable is the only way to connect to CarPlay in the UX—at least for now. By design, BT is disconnected when CarPlay connects (Enform disconnects it).
I see, which sucks especially if we are using Waze or something on CarPlay to navigate, and we can't use BT separately for audio quality. We are essentially for the time being, forced to deal with this audio issue.

Edit: apparently this is a common issue amount CarPlay users:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7590595
Old 12-26-19, 03:14 AM
RosarioM
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible work around from Rav 4 forum

I see, which sucks especially if we are using Waze or something on CarPlay to navigate, and we can't use BT separately for audio quality. We are essentially for the time being, forced to deal with this audio issue.

Edit: apparently this is a common issue amount CarPlay users:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7590595

I saw a possible work around from a Rav 4 forum. Apparent for some people if you switch to speaker and then back to normal on the phone during the call the audio issue is resolved, at least for that call. You have to do this for every call though.

I haven’t had a chance to test it yet but I will report back if it works.

Old 12-26-19, 10:36 AM
NXOwner
Racer

Originally Posted by RosarioM
I saw a possible work around from a Rav 4 forum. Apparent for some people if you switch to speaker and then back to normal on the phone during the call the audio issue is resolved, at least for that call. You have to do this for every call though.

I haven’t had a chance to test it yet but I will report back if it works.
In my original post, that was one of the suggestions that did not work. All that did was toggle the remote person's voice from car speakers to iPhone speaker.
Old 01-04-20, 05:21 PM
aribter
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just finished a phone call using Carplay and the audio quality was fine. I think you should plug your phone into the USB cable before starting the car.

Yesterday I plugged in the phone midway through my drive and audio quality was bad.
Old 01-04-20, 08:46 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Originally Posted by aribter
I just finished a phone call using Carplay and the audio quality was fine. I think you should plug your phone into the USB cable before starting the car.

Yesterday I plugged in the phone midway through my drive and audio quality was bad.
I’ll try it tomorrow.

However, many times the phone conversation works flawlessly the first time but—on subsequent conversations—the microphone stops working (thus, the remote person can barely here you).

Were you able to test this in that fashion?
Old 01-05-20, 08:31 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Originally Posted by aribter

Originally Posted by NXOwner
I’ll try it tomorrow.

However, many times the phone conversation works flawlessly the first time but—on subsequent conversations—the microphone stops working (thus, the remote person can barely here you).

Were you able to test this in that fashion?
I just played around with this. It doesn't matter if the connection is made before or after starting the car (at least it didn't work for me). Even if it did work, I suspect that a subsequent phone call would fall back to the bug described in the original post.
Old 01-07-20, 01:43 PM
aribter
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've made 2 back to back calls on Carplay and the audio has been fine, I did notice that I have to max out the volume on the phone, doesn't matter if my iphone is connected via Carplay or BT. If it helps I'm in Canada, not sure how different a UX in Canada is compared to the US.
Old 01-11-20, 04:52 PM
Ronb31
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2019 ux250h. Just got car the Apple CarPlay does not work you cannot hear the person driving with it connected. Dropped it off at the Lexus dealer. They went to work on it some Apple phones work and some don’t. I have the pro max 11 and my friend has the iPhone 11 with T-Mobile on unlocked phones. At the dealership the older phones would work but only the ones that were in carrier unlocked. They said they’re going to look into it we left the car for another week. I don’t understand why one phone will work and another one won’t. Also the car works perfect on Bluetooth even the ones that did work with the Apple CarPlay the sound quality was not as good as it should be.
Old 01-24-20, 03:17 PM
Ronb31
4th Gear

I had the same Problem Initially I thought tit was because I have carrier unlocked. So I bought another 11 max pro (tmobile only) it had older software that didn't work I upgraded it then it worked for 1 phone call.I plugged in my girlfrinds Phone same phone updated software one call. It works with my 7plus but I use that one as a dash cam only. The deler had the car for a week unplugged battery reset everything nothing happened.The phone work perfectly Lexus nx300h
Old 01-30-20, 10:34 AM
Ronb31
4th Gear

Default apple car play fix

The new release of 13.3.1 Has fixed the problem in My ux250h
All4Lexus (01-30-20)
Old 01-31-20, 11:55 AM
NXOwner
Racer

I have been running the beta version of iOS 13.3.1 (on an iPhone 11 Max Pro) for a few weeks now and this issue has been resolved for me. I didn't want to broadcast this fact until the actual final release of 13.3.1.

This was fixed in Beta 2 back on 14-Jan.

Anyway, I'm finally happy with my Lexus UX and CarPlay integration!

Last edited by NXOwner; 01-31-20 at 12:41 PM.