Southeast For events in Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Virginia.

Honest local Atlanta Shops???

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-12, 08:01 PM
Evaveli
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honest local Atlanta Shops???

Hey guys, just a quick little background info. I have a 99 SC300 with abt 175K on it. I need new motor and transmission mounts. I have been pointed in the right direction on where to get these online for a reasonable cost however the cost for labor some shops in my area are trying to charge me is ridiculous. I live in the Sandy Springs/Marietta area.

The 3 estimates I received today were...

$600 from ABS in Marietta
$400 from Eddies Auto in Sandy Springs
and Eiffels in Marietta about $750

Does anyone have a contact at a reasonable honest shop in the area? I keep getting burned by these guys and I am sick of it...

Thank you in advance!!!!
Old 08-21-12, 08:37 AM
dmk08
Intermediate

Dan and company at Zen motors did great work on my IS350 for reasonable prices. They are in Swanee but worth the trip IMO.
Old 08-21-12, 10:44 AM
veritek
Lexus Champion

Yeah, check out Zen Motors in Suwanee. They have knowledgeable Lexus techs who worked at Henessey Lexus of Gwinnett, and the owner, Dan, is a member of CL and has been active in the community and is a fellow Lexus owner and enthusiast.
Old 08-21-12, 04:23 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

I highly recommend Alben at Drivers Automotive on Powder Springs Rd in Marietta. When I don't have warranty work I always go to him. Great shop. Tell him Chris sent you and he'll help you out!
Old 08-27-12, 10:57 AM
GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

well without going into too much detail as i am not a sponsor on here, the prices you have listed above are actually quite inexpensive. Pending on how the engine you purchase comes in, if it is complete and nothing has to be transferred from the old motor, it is a 13.4 hour job. if you have to transfer accessories over, its a 16.4 hour job. I cannot quote you any prices on here, but most shops labor rates range from $80-120/hour to give you an idea.

and thanks to all for the support!! it is always greatly appreciated!!

if you have any questions, feel free to pm me or give us a call at the shop.

mods, if i have crossed any lines here, just let me know and i will delete my post.
Old 08-30-12, 08:23 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

I agree with Dan. I've done some engine swaps and they're always a PITA, never as quick as they should be, and always have something go wrong that never should ("new" engine leaks oil, doesn't have all the pieces it should, has broken sensors because the gorilla at the yard jacked them up, etc, etc,). The prices you've been quoted are not unreasonable at all. Put it this way, I wouldn't do it for your highest quote, and I'm not a business trying to feed a family.
Old 08-31-12, 07:59 AM
GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

^^ exactly. no offense to the op, but i would not touch that job for $600. we recently did a motor swap into a sc400 stock for stock. the harness literally fell apart with every clip that we touched. the 3 harnesses that the customer found were also in a similar condition so we ended up having to take all of the harnesses to make one decent harness. it was a pita to say the least.
Old 09-01-12, 09:35 AM
DuWerke
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

^^^ Those harnesses are not your friends, are they?
Old 09-01-12, 04:34 PM
Blk 350
Rookie

Maybe I read the OP wrong, but it appears that the OP wants to replace the engine/transmission mounts, not the entire engine?
Old 09-01-12, 07:08 PM
tjmhillz
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thats what i was thinking too. OP just wants to replace the engine mount and trans mount??
Old 09-03-12, 06:19 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

Even if it's just the mounts, the prices he has are not unfair. Either you're going to pull the engine or drop the front subframe (maybe not all the way, but you'll need to lower it with the engine on a support bar - I did this with my Supra to fix an oil leak between the upper oil pan and the block). Both take quite a bit of time.

I'd say the guy quoting $400 will regret it when the job is finished.
Old 09-04-12, 10:39 AM
GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

according to alldata, one front mount is 2 hours. one rear mount is 2 hours. trans mount is 2.1 hours. so if you had to do all 3 mounts in the engine bay, i could see 4.5-5 hours as fair amount of time. the trans mount, pending on what is needed to be replaced, really shouldn't take 2.1 hours but that is what is considered fair. at the end of it all, it is a 6 hour job.
Old 02-01-13, 02:21 PM
Nomolos1
Rookie

This one is for my wife.
Dan, This thread said honest shop.
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...n-Motors-in-GA
If this sounds like I'm a little pissed off, then you are right to assume. You can't hide from everyone. You'll think twice before screwing more people over. I know about you JOYRIDING in Michelle's car, before you cooked the motor, then charged her for the rebuild.

Last edited by Nomolos1; 02-01-13 at 03:26 PM.
Old 02-01-13, 04:53 PM
Luv2Boost
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Nomolos1
This one is for my wife.
Dan, This thread said honest shop.
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...n-Motors-in-GA
If this sounds like I'm a little pissed off, then you are right to assume. You can't hide from everyone. You'll think twice before screwing more people over. I know about you JOYRIDING in Michelle's car, before you cooked the motor, then charged her for the rebuild.
#1 don't bring me and my car into this ****-throwing contest. I have not spoken to the person in question that stated the things about the owner of Zen, but I'm not into name calling and bashing unless I see a need to. At that point, it would be ME who makes a thread or whatever I feel necessary.

#2 Do not promote hearsay until all the facts are in.

Leave me out of it completely.
Old 02-01-13, 08:58 PM
Nomolos1
Rookie

Just as I thought, Dan went crying to my wife about this post, yet he will not contact me about my transmission, like he said he would. After his Vegas trip.

Last edited by Nomolos1; 02-02-13 at 06:51 AM.

Quick Reply: Honest local Atlanta Shops???