SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

The SC Doctrine

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-12, 11:30 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts
Default The SC Doctrine

For as long as it exists it will forever eat engine mounts, transmission mounts, and control arm bushings. The window regulators will break and be replaced then a few years later break again. The power steering pump will fail, and take the alternator with it. The starter will last seemingly forever, but when it does fail you'll debate selling the car before trying to get in the center of the engine to replace it (400). The dash electrics will be as dodgy as any 20 year old car and no matter how pretty you make them they will always be screwing with you somehow because if you make them pretty a needle will stop moving... if you replace the LCD screen on the climate a penny will eventually drop in the cig lighter and kill the controls, damned if you do, damned if you don't..... it's always something.

There's plenty more as we all know, but through it all one thing is for certain...... it takes an enthusiast to love them. No run of the mill lady working at a bank and shopping for a used Lexus can just buy one and enjoy it...... she'd go broke trying to pay Lexus to keep it going. These cars are enthusiast cars now. Past their prime and into the part of their life where restore is more commonly used than maintain when speaking of working on them. Things enthusiasts do.

100% stock SC's are getting hard to find in the world today because the owners are mostly enthusiasts now. Sure they are out there, but not by choice. They are the low buck low maintenance cars that are just getting by. We as enthusiasts are the people who deal with them and put up with their flaws and try to improve them because we love them. We have different goals and ideas that produce different approaches to what we do and how they turn out...... we don't always agree on them. We do agree though that we are a brotherhood of enthusiasts that can spot an SC a mile away in traffic.

I don't care if the power steering pump fails and kills my alternator. I know it is going to happen and I keep driving it because I love it and I'm prepared to accept it's flaws. I'm an enthusiast. The thing about that word is enthusiasm. If you don't love your car, you'll never make it here. Too many things go wrong on old high miles Lexus for the average Joe. You gotta love it, want it, and wake up ready to go hop in it and drive. Whether your car is JDM tyte or classy and cool, you just gotta want to get behind the wheel every time you talk about it.

I hope everyone enjoys their car as much as I have mine for the last ten years. I've had 4 total (and two IS3's) but my original SC is still here that started it all because I really do LOVE that car. I have BMW's, and Porsches, and Mercedes, and trucks, and bikes........... but even when I couldn't find a place to park it in the middle of everything else and even when it got kicked out of the garage for an expensive German sport to come inside I never once considered selling it.

I've touched every inch of this car a million times over a decade and I know every wire, every nut, every bolt. I even have a spare mockup of the electrical system as you all know just so I can help with questions others may have. I can easily say that this car makes you an enthusiast whether you intend to be one or not. If you have it in you to be an enthusiast, it will find it in you. You might not be the type to keep one of these a decade, but if you are an enthusiast and you sell it, you'll remember it and buy another one down the road because they get under your skin.

You guys that are just getting here to CL and learning about your cars...... Club Lexus has been around for 15 years or so, and the current day version of the site (after the complete rebuild) started in 2001 so 12 years of history are in the new site about your cars. These enthusiasts have been asking questions, coming up with ideas, fixing issues, and discussing your car for 12 years here. If you see a vendor here that specializes in something, they likely started as an enthusiast. There are no conspiracy theories or big business to our vendors. They all started here trying to make our cars better. Even myself when I was one, in the ice blue thread where it all began. All for the love of the car and nothing else.

I've seen nearly all of it. I've modded here for 9 years and organized and moved most all of the threads (with help of course) so I have seen just about everything. There's a lot here. I encourage you all to start at the very back of this forum and start reading forward. It will take you months, but by the time you get back to this thread you will feel like you are part of something greater. You will know the level of enthusiast you are and your peers on here as well. It will absolutely amaze you to read the things in this forum we have collected about your car for the last 12 years. I personally have put out over 40 DIY's just myself, think about all the others that have been done by everyone else added to that. The discussions we have had about simple things like steering wheels or complicated things like engine management parameters.

Old school members that forged new ground back when there was no ground to stand on and everything was new. The forum grew because everyone was trying things and reporting back and we were all learning together this strange new world. It's been so fantastic to be a part of that over the last decade, but you too can experience it for the first time by simply reading the forum from the back to the front and seeing all the great things that have been discussed.

Folks before you start another thread look back at all the interesting things your enthusiast brethren have done in the last 12 years and learn about your cars. You will truly be amazed at what we have done here, all together as a community all in the name of our cars.

Happy Motoring!
The following 2 users liked this post by O. L. T.:
lexxxSC400 (01-20-21), tiguy99 (10-05-19)
Old 09-14-12, 11:35 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts

Amen, O.L.T. amen.
Old 09-15-12, 12:05 AM
Harbinger
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 09-15-12, 12:13 AM
Luxor
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

You stay classy, Club Lexus.
Old 09-15-12, 12:17 AM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lexus love
Old 09-15-12, 12:18 AM
2BENVD
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I am Marion, and I approve this message.
Old 09-15-12, 01:03 AM
FAT HEAD
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love how this is put. Very few people (especially my wife lol) understand the love I have for my SC, and I just stopped trying to explain. These are the perfect words to describe it!
The following users liked this post:
tiguy99 (10-05-19)
Old 09-15-12, 05:03 AM
Taken
Rookie

Amen.
Old 09-15-12, 05:35 AM
spoolxexo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

All it takes is a well written post like that to really convey the idea of not just this club of enthusiasts, but all of them!

Take notes! Thank you O.L.T.

Now if only the Gen-Y guys would take the time/effort to make posts like this.
The following users liked this post:
tiguy99 (10-05-19)
Old 09-15-12, 06:26 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

I love this, thank you OLT
Old 09-15-12, 06:42 AM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

So true O.L.T. well said! Thanks!
Old 09-15-12, 06:47 AM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Well said OLT. I'm printing this and posting it on my fridge so wifey and (other people) can see it.
Old 09-15-12, 08:13 AM
mr2tosc4
Lexus Test Driver

Very well said. I don't post often, but when I do, it's because OLT posted something worth replying to....been here for 6 years now and I joined right when I bought my sc. I still have it but have slacked off in the mods dept. after a reorganization of priorities. Still I check on CL every now and then, mostly to check on new ideas or just to touch base with other people I have known only thru here and nowhere else. This is the best car forum ever, thanks mods for keeping it clean, fun and informative for everyone!
Old 09-15-12, 08:34 AM
BSanders22
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That was beautiful, OLT! I've only been on CL and owned my SC for a year, and I know I've learned a lot from the forums, and anytime I have a question or issue, I delve into the forums and old threads in search of an answer. Here's to more happy years of Lexus motoring! Brb, gotta go take the SC for a cruise
Old 09-15-12, 08:47 AM
SEIDO
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Well said... Great write-up sir.
Im inspired now; I'm gonna begin reading the back-threads.

Quick Reply: The SC Doctrine