SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

The SC Doctrine

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-12, 06:17 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Thumbs up

Really awesome, inspirational post. Reading through the oldest posts was a great idea!

I am still in awe of the wealth of information here and the awesome citizens willing to share it.

Thanks Again!

ŝŧüđïøĝêëķ

SG's Girlfriend: What's that Blue site both your computers and all your devices are always on now?

Last edited by Studiogeek; 12-15-12 at 12:00 PM.
Old 12-15-12, 03:56 PM
Porter92
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very inspirational OLT. Had to sit back for a moment there and take it all in. Well put Lexus Love.
Old 12-15-12, 05:17 PM
YanoYano
Driver

love it glad i can be a part of this community!
Old 12-16-12, 11:44 AM
biturbo632
Pole Position

Love it! You said what have needed to be said. Perfect!
Old 12-16-12, 05:16 PM
daily400
Pole Position

couldnt of said it any better..
Old 12-17-12, 07:25 AM
FastCarsBG
Rookie

Love it. (I just got a tear running down my cheek!) YES, you understand!
Old 08-07-13, 11:14 PM
GordonDET
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bump.

I know it's an old post and all, but it helped remind me why I'm a car guy.

I got into 240's in the early years, when the engine swaps were just starting, posting, reading, learning on freshalloy forums. I spent 4 days reading the yahoo groups s13 use group, learning all of the everyday crap that happens with those cars (they have grey market cars and speak english) lol. Got my 240, swaped in an sr, spent at least an hour a day searching for new info, new mods, a cheaper way to do something (240 owners are cheap f'ers lol )

It was a passion. I loved it. A few years passed and things changed, I got bored, lost interest, I started a plumbing co, the car got parked and was ignored, my dreams for the car withered and were forgotten. I failed that car. Dammit.

Well time passed, I sold the car at a, shall we say major, loss. And I was out.

Then a friend of mine was selling his dads sc400. I do love a RWD coupe. So I checked it out, noticed the quality, the luxury perks, the things that my 240 was missing that made me loose interest. I bought it.

Now I'm back in. And I'm loving it.

And as I did before I'm reading old threads, various links, going through old info to learn all that I can about the car, and that's how I found this thread to bump. And this thread also let me know that I have 12 more years of info to catch up on (I was reading front to back). I need more mountain dew.
Old 08-08-13, 06:59 AM
Handsome
Rookie

Well played sir. Well played.
Old 08-10-13, 07:44 PM
hsokhi
Rookie

agreed.
I bought my first sc300 1995 white on tan with 150k miles on it when i was in highschool. I worked every friday saturday and sunday to pay for it haha. Got it dirty dented leaky and in need of work. I restored the hell out of it and enjoyed it all through out. Beat it up even more until one day i wrecked it. Aftert i totalled it, the insurance company sent me a check for more than i bought it for (i guess i did a good restore). Got a 1998 platinum sc300 with black interior, damn i loved that vvti... Sold for college tuition. Now ive returned and have a BEAUtiful 1995 white on tan 5SPEED sc300 with 108k. Bought it pretty clean and now that i got my hands on it, it's in even better condition.

I CANNOT GET AWAY from this car.
Thanks CL for all the priceless DIYs and info
Old 08-12-13, 03:39 PM
dogwisper
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've owned my "dream car" a '92 SC400 since it was pristine in '97. After neglecting it in recent years I am now in the second year of a total restoration done in an apartment parking lot in the Florida heat with people telling me I couldn't possibly do the repairs I needed to do under those circumstances with my skill level. I just wanted to tell you O.L.T. and the other contributors that without your help not only wouldn't I have done the work I did to bring my car back to life I literally couldn't have done it. This is an invaluable sight for visual learners like myself. Many thanks and glad to see others have the same passion for their cars that I do.
Old 09-14-13, 09:52 PM
Heyfever
Driver School Candidate

Default Struck a chord

I was a valet for many years after high school. I drove practically every production car under $60k from 1990-1998. I will never forget the first time I slid into the cockpit of a SC. I immediately said to myself- "I will own this car someday". That was 1995. I was cursing the cheap build quality of my two year old Mazda 6 in 2006 when it hit me like a ton of bricks....I can afford an SC now! I put that Mazda on craigslist the next day and eventually found a 93 SC 300 with a manual tranny. All stock. I bought that SC and fell in love on the short 62 mile drive home. I live in Denver now, and I have gotten more winter appropriate vehicles for the wife and I, but I promised that I would NEVER let the SC go! Every time I get behind the wheel, I am reminded of why I made that promise. What a great car. Hard to explain- it just feels right. Can't wait to eventually bring some HP to it!
Old 09-15-13, 08:29 AM
hoosier58
Pole Position

I'm glad this old thread came up. I picked up my first (and only) SC300 two and a half years ago, because my daughter needed wheels. I wanted to live the car vicariously through her, but in my heart it was my car. It was $1500, and looked it; repaired and primed rear quarter, dented front fenders, ratty leather, driver side door panel falling completely apart, black needles, black climate control, and a radio that worked when it felt like it. Did I mention 225K miles?

I joined CL the day before I brought it home, and these forums have helped me repair window regs, remove dead seats at U-pulls, make marginal used door panels work, and a lot of other things to hold the high mileage girl together. My daughter never really liked it much, mostly because I never did figure out the darn radio gremlin, but also because the doors and windows never seemed to all work correctly at the same time. She was also commuting from Denver to Greeley, and the mpg and premium fuel were a bitter pill. She ended up rear ending someone, bad enough to turn it into an $800 car, but still roadworthy. We got her a Tercel last March, and were going to sell the SC to help pay for it, but that very day the water pump went, spraying on the alternator.

The SC has been sitting in the back yard since then, and I've continued my prowling the U-pulls. I taught myself plastic bumper repair, replaced headlights, hammer and dolly'd the fenders, and am shopping for a cheap used compressor big enough to spray paint. The SC300 is going on the block as soon as I get a timing belt, water pump, alternator and radiator in, and spray the body repairs. I'm hoping to get enough out of it to pay for all I've put into it, but we'll see. My daughter is moving to NY next month, and I want to give her some money for the move. But, I will miss the SC, even though I've personally put less than 200 miles on her. I notice every SC on the roads I travel, and all of the beautiful modded SCs I see here inspire me to at least desire, if not pursue my desires.

Last night I found myself looking at used GS300s on craigslist, trying to figure out how to talk my wife into selling her Camry. This morning I found this post reactivated. It seems that I'm hooked.
Old 09-20-13, 01:07 PM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile Just got a 99 SC400

Originally Posted by Clean400
I was just thinking today how amazing it is that such a great community has been built around the SC platform. The car came out in 1992 and it's 2012. In not too long the car will be over twenty years old!

I'm kind of getting the sense that I'm restoring a piece of history now when I work on these cars. It's no longer just any plain old car to me. Personally I have one that I tastefully modify as a "performance edition" of the SC400 and I bought another SC400 that I'm going to keep 100% stock. It's fun upgrading the original car and making it what I thought it should come from the factory with as options (shift kit, torsen dif, torque converter).

There is just something special about these cars. I get a special feeling when I drive it that I don't get with every car out there. The car has a lot of character, class, performance. It's everything a man/woman could want out of a car. I think the SC400 is now a classic, and it definitely shows with all of the looks it gets on the road.

SC400 20 years Old!

I've owned my car for over 3 years now and plan to keep it for a long time. It has only given me pleasurable reliable driving since I've owned it. It's also amazing that after all of these years people are still discovering new things about the car and sharing their information on the forums. Just thought I'd share my passion for this car. Like a lot of you the SC is always on my mind.

I just picked up a 1999 SC400.
I've been in love with the sexy curvy lines of the car for a long long time.
Back in 2004 I got a 99 GS400.
I proceeded to add braces, coilovers LSD, torqueconverter, exhaust and a Supercharger. Car went fast but I still always had a desire to have an SC400.
Well last year a tree fell on the GS and totalled it out.
The wife has another GS400 and she said I could have it if we would get her an RX300 with the insurance money.
Well to make the story short she missed the GS. I said well we can sell the RX and I'll get an SC. Well that is what happened. She has her 99 GS400 back and is happy.

I had been reading on Club Lexus a lot about the SC before I bought the one that I did.
Thanks to Club Lexus I went all out and found the best one that I could get.
I ended up with one from San Diego that only had 115,000 miles, all maintence records and had always been garaged and never smoked in. It is all stock and the interior is pristine. The color is Angora Biege Metallic.
The car is fantastic. I actually like it more than my Supercharged GS. It is more fun to drive. It has a better stereo and the blindspot from the door pillar on the GS is not there.
I love this car.

This is a great thread. I am never going to get rid of this car.
I love driving it. It handles great with the stock setup.
I've decided to only change a few things with it.
I'm open to the idea of a Limited Slip Differential but those are not easy to find and the wife could be a problem
The one thing I'm doing is getting the headlights changed to Hid's
Very surprised they weren't an option at least back in 99. My GS came with them.

I'm not going to do a Supercharger, coilovers, torqueconverter, or exhaust!

I think I just want to work on keeping this car looking as good as it did when it was first purchased.

There is so much good information on Club Lexus
I would have never tried to change anything on my GS or tried to get the headlights changed to Hid's on this car without the people who posted their results good and bad on here.

Thank You so much
Ivan
3dog
The following users liked this post:
tiguy99 (10-05-19)
Old 09-20-13, 02:23 PM
kln552
Rookie

Default Great post/thread

Really enjoyed this post and all replies/comments. Loved the SC when it first came out, but could not afford it then. Bought my first one in 2002 (a '92 SC400) and had no issues at all - just enjoyed it. However, gave it to my ex when we split up (I know, I know . . . ) who promptly traded it in on a 2002 SC430!!!). Got to jonesing for another SC and 4 years ago I found a black '97 SC400 through Autotrader.com in Dallas - 65K miles and bone stock but for beautiful BBS rims. Made the deal, flew to Dallas and drove her home to So. Calif. Now have 122k miles, and have only done reasonably expected things like timing belt/water pump and recent 120K service, tires, shocks, etc. Only voluntary things have been modest 1 inch drop on Tokico shocks and Tanabi springs. Car gets more attention from valets and guards at gated communities than current sports and GT cars. Amazingly (I will probably regret writing this) my cluster, window lifts, etc. all work fine. There is simply no car that I could replace the SC with that would be anywhere near as beautiful/enjoyable for less than 3 times what I could sell it for. Great, great ride.
The following users liked this post:
tiguy99 (10-05-19)
Old 09-20-13, 04:34 PM
SportC400
Rookie

Well said thanks for the motivational thread now it's time to get the RPM gauge to function all the time oh well at least there's no burn out lights yet

Quick Reply: The SC Doctrine