RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Navigation Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-17, 11:14 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
Please let me know what version you see on yours.

Salim
in the 2012 Canadian Version RX350 model that we have I had to sit and play with it more, I was really surprised when I found the Map Dad inside of the phone options and info
I found that this one has the HDD or is it HHD but the Hard Drive Version it has on the map is 11.1

hey questions of topic but does anyone have the feature that has the headlamp washing nozzle like there is a button I push and it sprays out deicer I think onto the headlamps I never seen that on any American model Lexus that I have driven so wondering if this was because it was from Canada and was an option that they have from there
The following users liked this post:
salimshah (11-27-17)
Old 11-27-17, 12:21 PM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

It seems 2012 model year which would be using 2011 calendar year version and Lexus is not bothering with the leading 20

For calendar years
2011 -> 11.1
2017 -> 17.1

Till proven wrong.

Salim
Old 11-29-17, 08:37 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

The Delaership in south florida JM Lexus told my father yesterday that a Update to 17.1 for his vehicle would be about 250 plus taxs.
now i know sometimes we can get things cheaper at toyota dealerships and he knows this also so he asked me if he could go to a toyota dealership for his Nav update
i said i would check.

the only thing i could see is the dealership saying like usual is they need an exact part number to cross reference if i go to toyota
so he has the 11.1 and we want to update to the 17.1 map latest version for his 2012 RX350
if he goes to a toyota dealership
they will most likely ask him if he knows what map update will go along iwth his navication unit
would he need to tell them to update it as if it was a 2012 highlander or something or 2013 camry navigation update ?
will the mpa be cheaper there
is this delaership giving him a raw price of 250 ?
i think my last DVD update i got for my 2007 ES350 was like 150 bucks when i went to the delaer for it
Old 11-29-17, 09:26 AM
salimshah

Also check if it is self or auto install. There may be charge for dealer installation included or additional to the upgrade price.

Salim
Old 12-01-17, 08:15 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

Also check if it is self or auto install. There may be charge for dealer installation included or additional to the upgrade price.

Salim
Dealership said 169 for the thumb drive without installation and 269 with installation.
How can they sell you a Thumb Drive for the map update if you can't do it how would they expect you to do it on your own if it needs to be done by a dealership?
am i missing something is there a place in the vehicle to put the thumb drive in and update the unit on our own ?
Old 12-01-17, 09:31 AM
salimshah

Originally Posted by ThumperPup
Dealership said 169 for the thumb drive without installation and 269 with installation.
How can they sell you a Thumb Drive for the map update if you can't do it how would they expect you to do it on your own if it needs to be done by a dealership?
am i missing something is there a place in the vehicle to put the thumb drive in and update the unit on our own ?
There are instructions floating around, but hard to say if they are good for your (mine) vehicle. Also make sure the price is worth the update. I suggest check the maps on a latest test model.

Salim
Old 12-01-17, 10:13 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

I instead bought a Garmin Nuvi hand held GPS with life time update. Think it is better deal than paying for updating built-in unit annually. Updating itself can be easy DIY job.
Old 12-01-17, 11:40 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

Originally Posted by Htony
I instead bought a Garmin Nuvi hand held GPS with life time update. Think it is better deal than paying for updating built-in unit annually. Updating itself can be easy DIY job.
one of the reasons my dad went for the 2012 used with a GPS is because the warranty he bought covers damage if the unit stops working
and because he can get map updates
he has probalby spend about 1000 dollars over the past 15 years on Garmin and portable GPS units that stop working about 18 to 24 months after purchasing he has bad luck with those
Old 12-05-17, 11:29 AM
lawjaii
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ThumperPup
one of the reasons my dad went for the 2012 used with a GPS is because the warranty he bought covers damage if the unit stops working
and because he can get map updates
he has probalby spend about 1000 dollars over the past 15 years on Garmin and portable GPS units that stop working about 18 to 24 months after purchasing he has bad luck with those

just get the man a nice phone with google map and a nice mount on the car... works wonder. i never use the stock nav when i have my phone. Plus, you can even voice command google map too.
Old 12-05-17, 11:35 AM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by lawjaii
just get the man a nice phone with google map and a nice mount on the car... works wonder. i never use the stock nav when i have my phone. Plus, you can even voice command google map too.
I actually sometimes use both. The phone is for general nav and traffic and zoomed at it's regular level.
The Car Nav I leave zoomed in, so it can give me a headsup for upcoming turns or very close view. It's useful on twisty roads to know if that turn ahead is a slight bend or hairpin. Don't do this if you get sucked into viewing it and it becomes more of a distraction than a help, better to turn it all off and use your mark1 eyeballs.
Old 12-05-17, 11:09 PM
salimshah

Here is the nav update part number for 2011 RX450H with NAV
PT219-HDDG6-17

I guess HDD stands for Hard Disk Drive

Update related info is here
http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/TSb/...dPdf?id=192034

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 12-05-17 at 11:13 PM.
Old 12-06-17, 06:57 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Here is the nav update part number for 2011 RX450H with NAV
PT219-HDDG6-17

I guess HDD stands for Hard Disk Drive

Update related info is here
http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/TSb/...dPdf?id=192034

Salim
Slim, going by the doc above, one would need an "update tool", which is a fancy word for an external hard drive with the now-defunct firewire interface:
http://www.ntxtools.com/network-tool...00003-KIT.html

In the world taken over by CI/CD (Continuous Improvement / Continuous Delivery), which derives from Kaizen principles taken mainstream by Toyota, that's a major technological fail.
It does explain why my RX had spent 2 days in the shop getting its Nav updated.

Lexus ships 2 DVDs with map updates to each dealership manager.
Dealership buys/owns $1,200 external hard drive called update tool.
Customer buys unlock keys on a USB drive from the Dealership/3rd party
Technician uses a laptop and TIS software to upload map updates from the DVDs and unlock keys from the USBs onto an external drive / update tool (USB Key is wiped in the process or married to the image, up to 10 at a time).
Update tool is then used to flash the Navigation unit inside the vehicle.

Is it too much to ask to put the entire update package onto the USB drive? Just plug it in and let the system take it, like everything else out there does?
We're not even talking about seamless over-the-air updates that are completely transparent to the customer!
No wonder they charge an arm and a leg for such a convoluted process.
I still stand by my statement for the Lexus OEM Nav - 1990s tech at the 1990s price.

Last edited by vlad_a; 12-06-17 at 07:07 AM.
Old 12-06-17, 04:46 PM
salimshah

Fortunately, it took about 2 hrs at dealership. Makes me think that mine was not the first update that was done.

I did loose my route options ,,, toll avoidance. I have not noticed any change worth mentioning.

Salim
Old 02-16-18, 01:46 PM
SusanBurn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I update maps?

I had not updated by map since I bought my Certified Pre-Owned 2010 RX450h in 2012 and really wanted to have some updated information. I updated my system in Nov. 2017 and although the roads appear to be updated the destination assistance does NOT appear to be updated. The first place I went after I picked up my car was a store that had relocated to a new location in my city about 2 years earlier. When I "looked" up the business by "name" it still came up with the OLD address - NO help at all. I complained to my dealer and their "fix" was to add the new address in my "Address Book" and tell me it found the correct address when they searched! How do I know they did a "full" upgrade, and not just a partial update. At this point, I just don't trust the dealership. If you want updates for roads, it appears to be fine, it you need destination assistance, I'm not a fan.
Old 02-16-18, 01:54 PM
bb700092
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

@SusanBurn: Do you mind sharing which dealership this is?

Quick Reply: Navigation Upgrade