RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Navigation Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-17, 12:46 PM
Olasek
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Are you asking about the nav software update (not the map update)?
We recently talked extensively about it on the IS forum: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...he-dealer.html
You have to locate the file for your model but once you have it is pretty straightforward if you have minimal computer skills, you will find details in that thread.
Old 09-22-17, 02:34 PM
jstansel
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GPS Update

2013 Lexus RX350 needs GPS Update. Where can the update be purcvhased for a reasonable price. How and where do you do the updating within the vehicle? Instructions?
Old 09-22-17, 08:41 PM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

As i know you would have your dealer update it for you. Up to now, there is no work around to DIY map update for HDD base. If you buy the license key elsewhere, i would be cheaper at dealership
Somebody correct me if i'm wrong!!!
Old 09-23-17, 07:12 AM
phlorida
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The dealer is your only option and it is painfully expensive. Lexus used to have a website dedicated to GPS updates but they let the domain name expire last month. http://www.lexusnavigation.com

If you do decide to go with the dealer update I recommend that you wait for the next update which is typically released in the fall.
Old 09-23-17, 07:34 AM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

I recently inquired about the update and the local dealership said next month [October]. They did not specify date so it could be the 1st or all the way to 31.

Salim
Old 09-25-17, 05:34 AM
justin1203
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello,

I too have a 2013 350 and so much has changed where I live since then. For those who have gone through the process, what are the approximate costs of doing this?
Old 09-25-17, 08:44 AM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Please take a 2018 model out in your area for test drive.

The data in the latest map is not guaranteed to be current as of today. [It will be out of date the day it get collected ]

Other than novelty, I only use NAV in an area which I am not familiar ... ignorance is a bliss for me!

Salim
The following users liked this post:
Cocal (09-27-17)
Old 09-25-17, 11:42 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

the msrp should cost about 169 for the "part" and 1hr of labor time at dealer rates (another 150 or so).
Old 09-26-17, 03:45 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,059 Likes on 693 Posts

Originally Posted by raytseng
the msrp should cost about 169 for the "part" and 1hr of labor time at dealer rates (another 150 or so).
$350 is about right. Isn't that ridiculous for just updating the data. A brand new Garmin that works better is half the cost of the update.
Old 09-26-17, 04:43 AM
takeshi74
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Would probably more than cover the cost of even a paid smartphone nav app, mount and wiring for power as well.
Old 09-27-17, 06:09 AM
ColAngus
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
Please take a 2018 model out in your area for test drive.

The data in the latest map is not guaranteed to be current as of today. [It will be out of date the day it get collected ]

Other than novelty, I only use NAV in an area which I am not familiar ... ignorance is a bliss for me!

Salim
^this. The navigation sucks in Lexus and I feel there's no value in updating it if it costs more than a nickel and takes more than 5 minutes at the dealer.
Since it's closer to $400 and one hour, it's a no-brainer.
My dad's 2015 RX doesn't recognize a single portion of my neighbourhood and people have been living in it since 2013.
For a "premium" system that should be vastly better than a smart phone (which constantly updates, for free and responds to your voice) it's appalling that they went with something so terrible.
Old 09-27-17, 07:30 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by ColAngus
^this. The navigation sucks in Lexus and I feel there's no value in updating it if it costs more than a nickel and takes more than 5 minutes at the dealer.
Since it's closer to $400 and one hour, it's a no-brainer.
My dad's 2015 RX doesn't recognize a single portion of my neighbourhood and people have been living in it since 2013.
For a "premium" system that should be vastly better than a smart phone (which constantly updates, for free and responds to your voice) it's appalling that they went with something so terrible.
Every manufacturer is guilty of providing sub-par systems. They range from bad to horrible.
You'd think my Audi would use Google traffic, considering there is a SIM card and a data plan to get Google satellite image overlays, but alas, it relies on the crappy XM traffic.
Needless to say, I did not renew the data plan on it.

Tesla may be an exception, because they are a tech company first and an auto manufacturer second. They simply stuck the largest screen they could and gave everyone Google maps navigation over the internet. And it constantly updates itself for free.
As far as the rest of auto manufacturers are concerned, slow adoption rate of new technologies entices new customers to upgrade to newer vehicles.
Old 09-29-17, 01:05 PM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Freds430
$350 is about right. Isn't that ridiculous for just updating the data. A brand new Garmin that works better is half the cost of the update.
It IS ridiculous If it weren't for the better integration of the infotainment system, this would be a TOTAL waste of money.

Waze is free, faster, more helpful, and more accurate. I've stopped using the Nav in either car.
Old 09-29-17, 01:48 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by vlad_a
Every manufacturer is guilty of providing sub-par systems. They range from bad to horrible.
You'd think my Audi would use Google traffic, considering there is a SIM card and a data plan to get Google satellite image overlays, but alas, it relies on the crappy XM traffic.
Needless to say, I did not renew the data plan on it.

Tesla may be an exception, because they are a tech company first and an auto manufacturer second. They simply stuck the largest screen they could and gave everyone Google maps navigation over the internet. And it constantly updates itself for free.
As far as the rest of auto manufacturers are concerned, slow adoption rate of new technologies entices new customers to upgrade to newer vehicles.
Well, Toyota/Lexus are specifically called out for not having any current plans for Carplay or Android Auto even moving forward, but every other manufacturer is implementing. So they are definitely are the main manufacturers that are outliers and therefore rear of the pack of the adopters. While you mentioned Tesla, while they are cutting edge tech, it is ironic that they also are backwards and not adopting carplay or android auto either;
Old 10-22-17, 03:29 PM
jkeithsr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Updating navigation maps on 2015 RXh?

The RX's software won't let me input an address that Google has no difficulty locating. Do I need to take this
back to the dealer for updating? Thank you.

Quick Reply: Navigation Upgrade