RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Navigation Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-18, 03:09 PM
SusanBurn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reply to bb700092

Lexus of Memphis
Old 02-16-18, 03:23 PM
bb700092
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by SusanBurn
Lexus of Memphis
I guessed so. My experience with Lexus of Memphis has been very similar. Since they are the only Lexus dealership within three hours driving radius from Memphis, they do and say whatever they want. You should call Lexus Corporate (1-800-255-3987, option 5) and let them know about your experience. I have done so.
Old 02-16-18, 06:37 PM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

If you use your NAV system regularly, updating the maps can help. I have had such terrible luck using Toyota's NAV in a variety of Toyota/Lexus vehicles that I now rely on paper maps and my memory. the NAV in our 2015 Highlander could not get us from Las Vegas, NV to Disneyland--insane--it refused to let us use the freeways. I finally turned off the route guidance and haven't used it since.
Old 02-17-18, 05:04 AM
ColAngus
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I had not updated by map since I bought my Certified Pre-Owned 2010 RX450h in 2012 and really wanted to have some updated information. I updated my system in Nov. 2017 and although the roads appear to be updated the destination assistance does NOT appear to be updated. The first place I went after I picked up my car was a store that had relocated to a new location in my city about 2 years earlier. When I "looked" up the business by "name" it still came up with the OLD address - NO help at all. I complained to my dealer and their "fix" was to add the new address in my "Address Book" and tell me it found the correct address when they searched! How do I know they did a "full" upgrade, and not just a partial update. At this point, I just don't trust the dealership. If you want updates for roads, it appears to be fine, it you need destination assistance, I'm not a fan.
This navigation system is notoriously awful. Don't spend a penny on it.
Old 02-17-18, 09:13 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

OP: You can check the Map Data before and after an upgrade, press Info and then map data.
All manufacturers buy the map data from outside and it is subject to human input errors/omissions.

I personally use the "Mark" function and customize each point. Tap the favorite take-away Restaurant icon
near your home and set the destination. When the time to travel reaches 10-15 minutes, tap the icon
and open the Info button. Press "off hook" on the wheel and you are calling to place your order.
Great to hear them confirm your chow will be ready "in 10 minutes" and your screen displays the
ETA of...9 minutes!

RickC5: Only when you have an actual Point B destination can you open Options and Preferences.
Be certain Highways and Toll ways are turned on. Some drivers that do not have or choose to use the
Toll ways should turn off Toll ways but leave Highway on. These choices are not available unless
you have a current destination "to anywhere", not specifically one that could use Highways or Tolls.
Old 02-17-18, 10:53 AM
SusanBurn
Driver School Candidate

RickC5: Have you confirmed that the settings aren't set to "Avoid Interstate Highways"?
Old 02-17-18, 07:34 PM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Talking

RickC5: Have you confirmed that the settings aren't set to "Avoid Interstate Highways"?
The Highlander is long gone. Maybe we'll have better luck with the RX.
Old 02-19-18, 01:32 PM
tus
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I wouldn't bother updating the thing. Of all the different types of GPS I've used, both portables and in dash, the Toyota/Lexus system has consistently been the worst. I've been to places where they will suddenly decide turn-by-turn prompts are not available in a Toyota/Lexus, where every other unit works fine.

Personally, I tend to rely on my always with me smartphone, where the maps are always up to date. Only real issue is remembering to bring a charger or battery pack.
Old 03-11-18, 01:26 PM
bkxit
Driver School Candidate

Question Nav hdd replacement

Hi all.
has anyone replaced the nav HDD on there Rx 3rd gen ? Dealer updates are so expensive. But you can buy a new HDD with maps for about 120euros.
Wher is the nav HDD located ? is it behind the radio .......... Any ideas ..
Thanks in advance.
Old 03-12-18, 11:10 AM
ColAngus
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by bkxit
Hi all.
has anyone replaced the nav HDD on there Rx 3rd gen ? Dealer updates are so expensive. But you can buy a new HDD with maps for about 120euros.
Wher is the nav HDD located ? is it behind the radio .......... Any ideas ..
Thanks in advance.
I think you have to remove the dash to get to it. It's a big job.
Old 03-13-18, 08:11 PM
TrueTexan
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up I asked nicely...

Originally Posted by JRinSC
Well, just got a price from Lexus of Greenville (SC). $375. Wow, can anyone beat that for a major ripoff. I'm thinking of checking other Lexus Dealers nearby and make a road trip out of it.

BTW -- does anyone know if a Toyota Dealer could order and do the upgrade?? Has anyone ever done it that way?

Just curious....
When I had my 2009 RX350 in for the dash replacement, I inquired about updating the 2008 GPS software and the rep told me it would be "about $300." I refuse to pay that amount for a GPS that will just be outdated again, with all the construction going on in Texas and on Texas roads. So while I was waiting, I mozied over to the parts department, found a really cool keychain to buy and while I was buying it, I mentioned that the service rep quoted over $300 for new GPS update and asked if they had any older discs still hanging around. He checked with a guy in back and walked out with a 2014 update disc - free of charge! I haven't installed it yet, and have had it in my desk for maybe a couple of years now (whenever it was that we were all getting our dashes replaced for free - I don't recall). I'm wondering if it would cause problems, given that I have the original 2008 version and would be skipping the years between 2008 - 2014. Anyway, I use my iPhone all the time - like the voice better and definitely better directions, though I love the lane-assist on the Lexus GPS - shows up better than on the phone.

But if y'all could check with the service department - preferably in person - and ask nicely if they have any older updates still hanging around, free is nice!
Old 03-14-18, 04:33 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by TrueTexan
When I had my 2009 RX350 in for the dash replacement, I inquired about updating the 2008 GPS software and the rep told me it would be "about $300." I refuse to pay that amount for a GPS that will just be outdated again, with all the construction going on in Texas and on Texas roads. So while I was waiting, I mozied over to the parts department, found a really cool keychain to buy and while I was buying it, I mentioned that the service rep quoted over $300 for new GPS update and asked if they had any older discs still hanging around. He checked with a guy in back and walked out with a 2014 update disc - free of charge! I haven't installed it yet, and have had it in my desk for maybe a couple of years now (whenever it was that we were all getting our dashes replaced for free - I don't recall). I'm wondering if it would cause problems, given that I have the original 2008 version and would be skipping the years between 2008 - 2014. Anyway, I use my iPhone all the time - like the voice better and definitely better directions, though I love the lane-assist on the Lexus GPS - shows up better than on the phone.

But if y'all could check with the service department - preferably in person - and ask nicely if they have any older updates still hanging around, free is nice!
2009 is Gen2 and 2010 is Gen3. The 09 uses a DVD and the 10 use a HDD. Big difference. The 10 does not need to have the HDD replaced. Just updated. I am told it is done through the USB port. Still is about $300.00 just for that.
Old 03-14-18, 12:04 PM
HaywardLex
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The biggest upgrade you can get for the Lexus POS is buy a Garmin and you get lifetime maps and traffic for about $140 - and it's way more user friendly. Mine sits nicely in the area in front of the Lexus unit. I can't understand why Lexus can't get some kind of joint agreement with Garmin.
Old 03-14-18, 12:19 PM
Olasek
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by HaywardLex
The biggest upgrade you can get for the Lexus POS is buy a Garmin and you get lifetime maps and traffic for about $140 - and it's way more user friendly. Mine sits nicely in the area in front of the Lexus unit. I can't understand why Lexus can't get some kind of joint agreement with Garmin.
Tell this other automakers as well. I think only Mercedes and Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep teamed up with Garmin in the US market so far.
Old 03-14-18, 12:32 PM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by HaywardLex
I really don't know what all the complaining is about. Sure, the Lexus GPS is not state of the art. Far from it. I have an 06 SC430 also and I use both the SC and RX GPS all the time. Rarely do I have a problem with it. My biggest complaint is the absurd cost of a map upgrade. With the SC having a DVD based data storage, I have purchased upgrades for about $20.00. In my opinion they should be free from Lexus. But to hear the talk on this forum you would think the GPS is unusable. I use it all the time. It did take a bit to learn how to use it. It is not intuitive.
The following users liked this post:
Cepfire (01-03-20)

Quick Reply: Navigation Upgrade