RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models
Old 01-06-15, 03:07 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Tires and Wheels Guide
Print Wikipost

The 3rd gen RX Tire Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-13, 05:17 PM
wilchan
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think majority of members like Michelins. For me, it is the other way around. I feel Dunlops provide better ride comfort than Michelins, but it is much nosier than Michelins.

When the tire replacement comes, I may look into Yoko Parada Spec X and Bridgestone Ecopia as tire rack survey indicates both of them provides better ride comfort than Michelins and Dunlops.

Ya, please make this thread sticky
Old 03-25-13, 05:42 PM
BobBass
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

GoGiants,

I got the same story from my Toyota salesguy on our Camry hybrid. When I said I wanted Michelins (it's luck of the draw) he said something like "these aren't the same tires you get when you buy them at a Michelin dealer. All the tire manufacturers build them to the specs Toyota gives them for their cars so it doesn't make any difference what brand you get."

WOT A BUNCH OF....

I'm sure that's a line they've developed over the years to deal with buyers like us who actually are into stuff like this. Just like the "it takes 1,000 miles for the transmission to learn your driving habits."
Old 03-25-13, 07:13 PM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Night and Day

How do you up load a mp4 file to Club Lexus?
Have two short videos one with old tires and one with new
Old 03-25-13, 07:56 PM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Youtube and post a link, or try the advanced tab.

I won't run anything but Michelins. I don't care what the explanation from we don't put bad tires on the cars to they are all the same. Point is, the lowest bidder gets the contract. I've had Yokos, Goodyears, Pirellis, Dunlops, etc. Michelin is the only one I've found to be the dependable brand. And not by a small margin, but a large gap.
Old 03-26-13, 02:45 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by billy44bo
How do you up load a mp4 file to Club Lexus?
Have two short videos one with old tires and one with new
You can use youtube.com; they have a simple upload function that you can use from your account page. I have also had good luck with dropbox.com. This is a free service for sharing large files (2 GB free storage). When you create your Dropbox account, it will create a Public folder in your dropbox. In that folder, there is a word document telling you how to share files. If the files are smaller than 25 MB each, you can email them separately to me and I will post them for you (just PM me). Your email provider may limit your email attachments to less than 25 MB, but I can accept files to 25 MB.
Old 03-27-13, 11:39 AM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Two short video's old and new tires

This is with the old tires

and this one is with the new tires.

It is hard to hear it be it is night and day from the old ones and the new ones

Last edited by billy44bo; 03-27-13 at 11:44 AM.
Old 03-30-13, 09:57 PM
EMSLEXUSRX
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by EMSLEXUSRX
I called two places to get some quotes out the door for two Michelin Latitude Touring HP tires, as that's what I have on the newer Michelins that are on my car. One of the places that I called has an offer for all the ladies on Thursdays, where you get %10 off, plus another %5 if you pay in cash. So for two new Michelin Latitude Touring HP V-rated tires, it's gonna cost me $565 out the door, includes everything. I think this sounds like a pretty good deal. By the way, I have just a little over 36k mileage on the RX.
Following up on my last post, I did purchase the two new Michelin Latitudes at this tire place in Tampa; actually ended up costing me only $525 out the door for the two tires, plus free tire rotations and balancing every 5,000 miles for the life of the tire.

The Michelins are riding better in every aspect except for the steering wheel response. I'm having to adjust to the steering wheel being a little slower to react; for example on a quick turn for an evasive maneuver. Also, if I do a quick sort of aggressive take-off on acceleration, I'm getting noticeable torque steer than I had with the Dunlops. But there is less of the bumpy, jiggly ride compared to the Dunlops, and they're definitely more quiet.
The following users liked this post:
resharoo (11-02-23)
Old 03-31-13, 08:09 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

I recently had to take my '13 RX350 with 2k miles on it because the brake malfunction warning lights came on.(That's another story for a different thread) They had to keep it so they gave me a loaner which was exactly like mine (I thought). While driving home I noticed almost immediately how much quieter and better the ride was over mine. I was wondering if they would just swap cars with me-right. Anyway when I got home I looked at the tires on the loaner and they were Michelins. Mine has the OE Dunlaps which I now consider the worst tire I ever owned. I told the service manager I wanted to swap the Michelins for my Dunlaps. He agreed but had me pay $50/tire to reset the tire pressure sensor on each wheel. That seems to me to be a bit steep but I wanted those Michelins on my Lexus bad.
Anyone know if I got taken?
I'm very happy now with the Michelins, my car now rides like a Lexus should!
Old 03-31-13, 12:15 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Four new Michelin tires for $200? I'd say that's not bad at all. Don't worry about the sensor reset fee. Enjoy the ride.
Old 04-01-13, 05:37 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by m1964
the best comfort tires are Michelin Pilot MXM4 (IMHO)

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

There are most comfortable, low-noise, and grip the road very well. Decent for some winter driving ...on the city roads.
I agree, simply the best !
Old 04-01-13, 04:58 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerh00
I recently had to take my '13 RX350 with 2k miles on it because the brake malfunction warning lights came on.(That's another story for a different thread) They had to keep it so they gave me a loaner which was exactly like mine (I thought). While driving home I noticed almost immediately how much quieter and better the ride was over mine. I was wondering if they would just swap cars with me-right. Anyway when I got home I looked at the tires on the loaner and they were Michelins. Mine has the OE Dunlaps which I now consider the worst tire I ever owned. I told the service manager I wanted to swap the Michelins for my Dunlaps. He agreed but had me pay $50/tire to reset the tire pressure sensor on each wheel. That seems to me to be a bit steep but I wanted those Michelins on my Lexus bad.
Anyone know if I got taken?
I'm very happy now with the Michelins, my car now rides like a Lexus should!
Smart purchase ... don't give it a second thought.
Old 04-02-13, 11:03 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

I buy my tires like I buy my stuff on Amazon, by rating.

Can anyone explain why everyone getting the Pilot when it ranks so poorly instead of the Primacy???

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...=true&filter=y
Old 04-07-13, 07:53 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by ericsan13
I buy my tires like I buy my stuff on Amazon, by rating.

Can anyone explain why everyone getting the Pilot when it ranks so poorly instead of the Primacy???

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...=true&filter=y
Most of us are buying the Michelin Latitude Tour HP tires not Michelin Pilot.
Old 04-07-13, 08:17 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

The Michelin Latitude is the OEM tire for the RX models that come with Michelin's. It handles very well wet or dry, is quite, and has one of the highest tread wear ratings. I'm on my 2nd set now with almost 50K on the car. Just under 40K on the 1st set of tires. I changed about 5K early due to a non-reparable spike in one tire.
Originally Posted by Sevn86
Old 04-08-13, 08:12 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Sevn86
If the comparison is made between the Latitude Tour HP and the Primacy MXV4, the Primacy still looks like the better tire:

UTQG: 500 vs 440 - Primacy better
Max load per tire: 1874 vs 1751 (but the Latitude has a higher load index for some reason?) - tie?
Weight: 29lbs vs 32lbs Primacy better
Rating: 8.4 vs 7.6 - Primacy better
Speed: 118mph vs 130mph - Latitude better, although no one is going to push their car to 130mph
Noise: edge goes to Primacy as a grand touring tire

*Source: tirerack

Thoughts?

Quick Reply: The 3rd gen RX Tire Thread