RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models
Old 01-06-15, 03:07 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Tires and Wheels Guide
Print Wikipost

The 3rd gen RX Tire Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-13, 02:22 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Has anyone tried going with wider tires to save some money? Although wider tires should be more expensive, it is not always the case. Tire options change as well.
For winter tires, I went with 255mm on 8" wide 18" rims, so I can attest 255mm will fit (see my post above).

245/55R19 is small enough change to keep the same aspect ratio (1.5% difference in speed; +1MPH@70MPH).
255/50R19 seem to be the cheapest with no change in diameter. Stock 7.5" rims should be within spec for 255mm tires.
The following users liked this post:
glerobi (09-27-18)
Old 02-28-13, 10:36 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by vlad_a
Has anyone tried going with wider tires to save some money? Although wider tires should be more expensive, it is not always the case. Tire options change as well.
For winter tires, I went with 255mm on 8" wide 18" rims, so I can attest 255mm will fit (see my post above).

245/55R19 is small enough change to keep the same aspect ratio (1.5% difference in speed; +1MPH@70MPH).
255/50R19 seem to be the cheapest with no change in diameter. Stock 7.5" rims should be within spec for 255mm tires.
I did look into that, but I wanted to play it safe.
Old 03-01-13, 08:33 AM
mkeeney
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the thread Anita. Did you happen to notice where your Pirelli's were made? My guess is Brazil, but that size may be a low enough volume for them to make it in the U.S.

Has anyone looked at the Kumho KL21? I know a lot of people stay away from Kumho because it seems like a value brand, but we're on our third set of Kumho's on our ES300 and couldln't be happier with them, so I was considering this tire for the RX.
Old 03-01-13, 08:42 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

The Pirellis were made in Britain according to the code.
Old 03-01-13, 09:06 AM
mkeeney
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kitlz
You might know way too much about tires! Are you in the tire industry? Most people don't know how to find that information. XN or XP?
Old 03-01-13, 09:09 AM
RXinNJ
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mkeeney
Thanks for the thread Anita. Did you happen to notice where your Pirelli's were made? My guess is Brazil, but that size may be a low enough volume for them to make it in the U.S.

Has anyone looked at the Kumho KL21? I know a lot of people stay away from Kumho because it seems like a value brand, but we're on our third set of Kumho's on our ES300 and couldln't be happier with them, so I was considering this tire for the RX.
I have Kumho Ecsta 4X's on my G37. I've been pretty happy with them.

Reviews I've seen of the the KL21's are decent but not great. Seems like a tire geared more for comfort than handling. One of Tire Rack's comparos has both the Pirelli and the Kumho; the Kumho's scores for handling and cornering on a wet track are significantly lower than the other 2 tires tested. That would make me a little concerned.

Also, the Kumho ranks 15 of 17 in Tire Rack's Crossover/SUV category. Seems to me there are better options out there.
Old 03-01-13, 02:17 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

I know how to read a tire and see when it was manufactured but i dont know what code i should be looking for on the pirelli's to see where they were manufactured. What should i be looking for?

Thanks!
Old 03-01-13, 03:30 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by mkeeney
You might know way too much about tires! Are you in the tire industry? Most people don't know how to find that information. XN or XP?
Haha, no. I remember seeing the warranty brochure from the tire manufacturer with an explanation about DOT numbers a long time ago. It came with the owners manual. Pirellis don't state where they're made on the sidewall unlike most other tires I've purchased. So I had to resort to the code. British shoes for the RX, LOL!

Originally Posted by Sevn86
I know how to read a tire and see when it was manufactured but i dont know what code i should be looking for on the pirelli's to see where they were manufactured. What should i be looking for?

Thanks!
Sevn, it's the first two letters/numbers after DOT.
The following users liked this post:
glerobi (09-27-18)
Old 03-01-13, 10:10 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Haha, no. I remember seeing the warranty brochure from the tire manufacturer with an explanation about DOT numbers a long time ago. It came with the owners manual. Pirellis don't state where they're made on the sidewall unlike most other tires I've purchased. So I had to resort to the code. British shoes for the RX, LOL!

Sevn, it's the first two letters/numbers after DOT.
Ok thanks!
Old 03-02-13, 09:24 AM
sweetboy02
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

what about new Michelin tires:

http://www.hoax-slayer.com/see-through-tyres.shtml
Old 03-02-13, 12:44 PM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Thought it was about time to start a thread on replacement tires for the RX to benefit other members. For those of you who have changed out the OE tires, whether to an OE or non-OE brand, please provide some basic information. And keep it specific to 3rd gen RXs only.
  1. What tire brand/model did you get?
  2. Tire size?
  3. Price paid and place of purchase?
  4. What tire did they replace and mileage?
  5. Other tires considered (if applicable)?
  6. What do you like most/least about your new tires?
  7. Updates?
I replaced my Dunlops last year with the Yoko Parada Spec X tires.

I have the 19" wheels, and also the Sport Suspension. The Yokos have made the ride much more tolerable than the OEM Dunlops I had (I eked those out to 42K miles, and it was TIME to get 'em replaced!)

The ride is still a little stiff, but that's what you get to offset the body roll and improve the handling characteristics.

I am very pleased with them thus far - about 40K miles on them since installed, and wearing well. Less noisy, less harsh, better wet grip than the Dunlops - I would definitely recommend them.

I paid about $800 for them from TireRack.com, and had them shipped to a local Big O Tire shop, where they were installed. I then paid for free rotation for life (cheaper than the dealer) and installation/balancing (about another $200).

I had considered the Michelins, but they were significantly more expensive, and I'm putting about 30K miles on the car per year. So I didn't want to take the hit every 18 months or so.

Sandi
Old 03-03-13, 07:04 AM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Our '10 had OEM 18 "Dunlops on it when we purchased the car used. At 28K km ( 17.4K miles) they were about beat. Coaxed another couple months out of them before the weather changed. Very noisy at this point !

Since installed a set of new Bridgestone Blizzaks we use as dedicated Winter tires. We've been buying this tire for many vehicles over the years & have always been very happy with them.

Spring is approaching & I've been able to gather a set of OEM 19" road wheels for the car. These were dealer pull-offs with zero to about 10 miles on them.

Short listing new rubber for Summer use only to Michelin Latitude Tour HP & the Pirelli Verdi.
Looked at the Continentals Cross Contact series but unsure as I've never owned the brand on a previous vehicle.
Note: I have the Michelin LTX M/S2 on my truck & would buy but not available in a 235/55-19.
These are a very nice Summer tire.

Qualifications based on my wife's driving habits as she is the primary driver:
City streets & local highways, Summer only.
Comfortable ride is key. Road noise would be the # 2 consideration.
Performance averages at about the same for all three of these brands ?

Question:
Thinking Michelin due to what I've read here on the comfort & noise issues. Correct ?

OEM tire pressure on a 19" wheel ?

Cheers,
Old 03-03-13, 02:46 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SteveCraig
Our '10 had OEM 18 "Dunlops on it when we purchased the car used. At 28K km ( 17.4K miles) they were about beat. Coaxed another couple months out of them before the weather changed. Very noisy at this point !

Since installed a set of new Bridgestone Blizzaks we use as dedicated Winter tires. We've been buying this tire for many vehicles over the years & have always been very happy with them.

Spring is approaching & I've been able to gather a set of OEM 19" road wheels for the car. These were dealer pull-offs with zero to about 10 miles on them.

Short listing new rubber for Summer use only to Michelin Latitude Tour HP & the Pirelli Verdi.
Looked at the Continentals Cross Contact series but unsure as I've never owned the brand on a previous vehicle.
Note: I have the Michelin LTX M/S2 on my truck & would buy but not available in a 235/55-19.
These are a very nice Summer tire.

Qualifications based on my wife's driving habits as she is the primary driver:
City streets & local highways, Summer only.
Comfortable ride is key. Road noise would be the # 2 consideration.
Performance averages at about the same for all three of these brands ?

Question:
Thinking Michelin due to what I've read here on the comfort & noise issues. Correct ?

OEM tire pressure on a 19" wheel ?

Cheers,
Yes I would go with the michelins and set ur tire pressure to 32 - 35. I use to run mine at 35. Loved it.
Old 03-03-13, 03:49 PM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Sevn86
Yes I would go with the michelins and set ur tire pressure to 32 - 35. I use to run mine at 35. Loved it.
Great !
Costco has them on sale locally about every 5-6 weeks. None of the local dealers can even touch the price.
Thanks for the help.

Cheers,
Old 03-03-13, 08:27 PM
Rozay604
Lead Lap

Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts

Mine came with michellin lattitude hp

Quick Reply: The 3rd gen RX Tire Thread